Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Playing staff winners & losers under Fab

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Having looked at Hürzeler’s favoured 3-4-3 formation and had a peep at St Pauli’s current squad make-up, I think there will be a few casualties as the squad is shaped and adjusted to Fab’s requirements.

Whilst Potter purged wingers and fullbacks and swelled our centre-back and centre-midfield stash, I think Fab maybe the opposite. It looks like he is not a fan of having a squad full of central midfielders and attacking midfielders. We could see a number of departures here.

However, I’d like to think that we will still pursue a defensive midfielder and perhaps someone like KDH. Let’s see.

Further up the pitch, we clearly have sufficient numbers and quality, perhaps just a left footed backup for March is required?

The hard work for the recruitment team will surely be in sorting out the right wingback position and adding some pace and left footed prowess into the centre-back options.

The window opens on Friday so Fab will have his work cut out as he attempts to synthesise with and influence our transfer business.

Players aren't born with numbers on their backs, I think they can adapt systems if they are good enough. The much bigger issue is whether they are good enough. Jury is out on a fair bit of our squad in terms of the older guys maybe peaking, the younger guys not developing as they should and the middle guys in between maybe not up to being top 10 players

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think it could be very good for Baleba.
Agreed - Already noted several times on the other Hürzeler thread (s) that it could be Baleba’s break out season under FH -

Playing with a back 3 - I think Baleba may grow into that crucial role in Hürzeler’s set up where he uses his central CB in an interchangeable DMF role - sitting deep and facing play sounds a perfect job for Baleba imo.

Also I noted previously on (can’t remember which thread now!) that Hürzeler likes to push out a very wide field when counterattacking - using LB and RB as FB/wingbacks - Hinshelwood and Barco and Pervis will have very significant roles - he doesn’t play such a high press as De Zerbi so players like Mitoma and Osman will still have important link up jobs to do and we also need forwards who can hold up play when he uses his Plan B.( see Hürzeler thread) Verbruggen will be vital as a ‘football playing’ GK as FH still plays out from the back, holding up play when necessary to invite press but playing long balls to a forward receiver if facing a high attacking team..

USER=23795]@Hugo Rune[/USER] - FH from reading a stack load of analytics and watch videos shorts of matches - he has a very fluid set up so while his core basic system is 3,4,3 - it rarely seems to be that shape much during games - his system is really fluid and players that are positionally versatile will be fine.

(ffs please don’t start calling him ‘Fab’, it sounds very cringy 60’s :facepalm: :lol:)

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
How about Fabi?
Yes. 👍

I already started calling it Fabi-ball when discussing tactics early on in the Hürzeler thread (purely as a convenient distinction between Potterball and De Zerbi-ball.) but it has a ring to it I think. 🤔

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

@Hugo Rune - FH from reading a stack load of analytics and watch videos shorts of matches - he has a very fluid set up so while his core basic system is 3,4,4 - it rarely seems to be that shape much during games - his system is really fluid and players that are positionally versatile will be fine.
Are you Todd Boehly? :ohmy:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Are you Todd Boehly? :ohmy:
Edited typo.

Very funny.

Probably comes with trying to follow 3 different Hurzeler discussions and 2 different RDZ discussions on multiple threads - it’s doing my head in 😂

I always wondered why he was holding up his girlfriend’s wig in this picture - now I know it was to sneak an extra player onto the field disguised as Cucurella 🙂

IMG_1137.jpeg

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Edited typo.

Very funny.

Probably comes with trying to follow 3 different Hurzeler discussions and 2 different RDZ discussions on multiple threads - it’s doing my head in 😂

I always wondered why he was holding up his girlfriend’s wig in this picture - now I know it was to sneak an extra player onto the field disguised as Cucurella 🙂

View attachment 183801
What the hell is Lewis Dunk doing there?
Hope he hasn’t been tapped up!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I guess we’ll never know but I wonder if new players potentially being recruited will be tweeked to suit FH’s style.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Beneficiaries - Veltman and Igor should get to play wide CB not fullback now. Strikers might actually get a partner if it's more of a 3-4-1-2. Groß and Moder can be the more adventurous of a deeper 2 as well instead of immobile in the Lallana hole. Hinchelwood could make the right side his own (and Lampty only have to play a few impact minutes to stay fit).

Issues - Wingers and attacking mids might be fighting for 1 or 2 slots instead of 3. We have a lot of young South American (and other) talent there.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Fabian was a dishy actor/singer in the 60s
He’s still around apparently

Rerecorded “Tiger” to help big cats in response to the Netflix Joe Exotic doc

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I actually fear for Dunk if FH doesn't feel he is suitable for the CB/DM role, which i'm hoping he is. A weakness in Dunk's game is defending the wide channels which is required for a RCB/LCB in a back 3 behind wingbacks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I actually fear for Dunk if FH doesn't feel he is suitable for the CB/DM role, which i'm hoping he is. A weakness in Dunk's game is defending the wide channels which is required for a RCB/LCB in a back 3 behind wingbacks.
I'd be surprised if the defence isn't built around Dunk still

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here