Bissouma - 7
March - 8

Lallana - 6

Maupay - 5
Trossard - 7

Connolly - 5
Gross - 6
Ali J - 5

That is about as I saw it. All played their part but the real disappointing thing was the performance of the two up top. We were relying on the goal coming from our midfield, because the two strikers were not making any runs and strolled the game. We looked ok everywhere else bar a couple of mistakes. The strikers played like they knew they are a sure pick as we do not appear to be signing our “silver bullet”. They have linked up well in the past but let themselves and the team down in what was otherwise a good team performance If GM was still here he would have replaced Maupay but striker options are low.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Connolly Marked down a point for that beard/hair combo

^ This! ^

Ryan 6 - can't be blamed for not saving any of the goals. The pass to Alzate for the 1st goal wasn't quite the shocker some seem to think it was IMO

Lamptey MoM - 8.5 - energy, talent and attacking intent whilst still putting in a defensive shift. What a season he's going to have if he keeps that up.
March 7 - a reliable outlet and beat players to get into some great positions. An improvement in end product still required, but he'll be fantastic if it comes. (the big if with Solly, but I would love it to be the season it finally clicks for him in the final third)
White 7 - solid. Showed some decent pace and reading of runs to cover and a couple of forays forward
Webster 7 - Very unlucky for the deflection. Looked assured on the ball
Dunk 6 - not his best game. should have done a LOT better with the header

Bissouma 6.5 - decent
Lallana 5 - A couple of flashes of what he can add, but not involved enough. Will improve with game time, so I really hope the injury is nothing serious
Alzate 6.5 - marked down for the cock-up, but had a decent game apart from that.

Trossard 7 - nicely taken goal and looked our biggest threat (not the highest of bars)
Maupay 5 - Didn't really get into the game. Probably didn't help when Zouma trod on his achilles

Connolly 5 - busy and bustling, but beard and barnet = BLOODY AWFUL

Gross 5.5 - not much time to do much either way
Ali J 4 - I like Ali J, but what little time he had to do anything was poor

Overall, I feel the scoreline was harsh. We out-passed them, but without it leading to enough clear-cut chances. We will create more against weaker teams. They had the quality to take advantage of a couple of gifts and stuck one in the top corner from miles out. If I were a Chelsea fan [shudder], I wouldn't know whether to be worried that my team looked pretty average against #teamslikeBrighton, or to think it bodes well to come away from an unconvincing performance with a convincing scoreline and 3 points... Werner looks sharp & rapid and will score a few this season I'd say.

Onwards & upwards - plenty of positives despite the score, though plenty to work on too.

3 wins against the 'big 6' last year suggests Potter's tactics can work against the bigger teams and I would take a performance like last night's over a turgid, backs-to-the-wall 0-1 loss any day of the week.

Last edited:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Ryan 6 not a bad game, felt he rushed in to the challenge instead of holding his ground.
Lamptey 8.5 a real joy to watch, sensational speed, dynamic and aggressive, he will cause a lot of defenses sleepless nights.
Webster 7 made some fantastic surging runs, felt he snatched at a shot that Ryan had well covered.
Dunk 7 what a howler when he missed that header, a painful miss other than that, the usual captain’s performance
White 7 you can he has what it needs to become a top top defender, composure, intelligence and anticipation. Great PL debut
March 7.5 very impressed, I don’t want to see him playing in any other position, just absolutely nail this one. Amazing energy and the surging run in the second showed what he is capable of.
Alzate 7 Forget the mistake, he is beautiful on the ball and could have scored. Can’t wait to see him develop.
Bissouma 7 Just fantastic, gave Chelsea no time or space
Lallana 7 a shame he had to go off, we are going to have to use him sparingly initially but his influence off the pitch will benefit the team too.
Maupay 6 That chance in the first half was an expensive miss and he was not on his game this evening, I worry that in our desire for a striker the knockers will pick up on every indifferent game. He will have a massive influence again this season
Trossard 7 He will score a lot more valuable goals this season, I can see him hitting double figures
Connolly 6 Not really in the game, works hard, aggressive but I’m not sure if he is quite ready, would much rather him brought on after 60 minutes
Gross and Ali - Didn’t have the chance to alter the game.

Potter - 7 bold starting line up, needs a couple more assets to move the club up a level. The team really buy into his philosophy, I am definitely team Potter.

Opposition - thought we dominated them for considerable parts of the game but their quality showed in the end James is a great player. Their new stars didn’t really shine but it is just a question of time.

Conclusion, we need two strikers in a perfect world, one experienced (Josh King) and one with potential (Balougan at Chelsea) I think we will define progress this year and it would be a joy not to be involved in a relegation fight.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ryan 6 not a bad game, felt he rushed in to the challenge instead of holding his ground.
Lamptey 8.5 a real joy to watch, sensational speed, dynamic and aggressive, he will cause a lot of defenses sleepless nights.
Webster 7 made some fantastic surging runs, felt he snatched at a shot that Ryan had well covered.
Dunk 7 what a howler when he missed that header, a painful miss other than that, the usual captain’s performance
White 7 you can he has what it needs to become a top top defender, composure, intelligence and anticipation. Great PL debut
March 7.5 very impressed, I don’t want to see him playing in any other position, just absolutely nail this one. Amazing energy and the surging run in the second showed what he is capable of.
Alzate 7 Forget the mistake, he is beautiful on the ball and could have scored. Can’t wait to see him develop.
Lallana 7 a shame he had to go off, we are going to have to use him sparingly initially but his influence off the pitch will benefit the team too.
Maupay 6 That chance in the first half was an expensive miss and he was not on his game this evening, I worry that in our desire for a striker the knockers will pick up on every indifferent game. He will have a massive influence again this season
Trossard 7 He will score a lot more valuable goals this season, I can see him hitting double figures
Connolly 6 Not really in the game, works hard, aggressive but I’m not sure if he is quite ready, would much rather him brought on after 60 minutes

Potter - 7 bold starting line up, needs a couple more assets to move the club up a level. The team really buy into his philosophy, I am definitely team Potter.

Opposition - thought we dominated them for considerable parts of the game but their quality showed in the end James is a great player. Their new stars didn’t really shine but it is just a question of time.

Conclusion, we need two strikers in a perfect world, one experienced (Josh King) and one with potential (Balougan at Chelsea) I think we will define progress this year and it would be a joy not to be involved in a relegation fight.

The best write up I've read on the thread

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Am all for blue sky thinking , but “forget the mistake”? Really ? It was a defining moment in the match.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Am all for blue sky thinking , but “forget the mistake”? Really ? It defined the outcome of the match.

We recovered from that, to level the game.

I'd argue that Dunk's missed header, defined the outcome of the game, if we really need to pinpoint a specific moment.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Ryan 6.5
Lamptey 9.5 MoM
March 8
White 8
Webster 8
Dunk 7.5
Bissouma 8.5
Lallana 7
Alzate 7
Trossard 7
Maupay 6

Connolly 6.5
Gross 7
Ali J 5
Lady Luck - not a lot

Chelsea - pretty average but they will improve no doubt. They were there for the taking. James looked good

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We recovered from that, to level the game.

I'd argue that Dunk's missed header, defined the outcome of the game, if we really need to pinpoint a specific moment.

That as well . So I’ve edited my post. I would say at the time we conceded the first, we had them by the balls And had done so well . It may well have got better for us as they got more frustrated. Gifting them a goal.....so deflating.

Also TBH, I think it’s patronising to Alzate to overlook the mistake because, what? he’s young? He’s a premier league player. As Carragher said “you have to be able to deal with that pass in football”. solly would have got battered for that. Alzate wasn’t a seven last night.

Last edited:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Am all for blue sky thinking , but “forget the mistake”? Really ? It was a defining moment in the match.

Of course it was an error but the worst thing a player can do after a mistake is dwell on it and withdraw (and he didn’t), saying that, you could see he was really annoyed with himself at half time. Good players learn from their mistakes. Dunk and Maupay’s missed chances were equally expensive. I am sure that the management will do all they can to firstly discuss the error and secondly lift his spirits.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Can’t see a thread anywhere.

6 - average

Thought we played well.

Ryan - 6
Lamptey - 8
White - 7 - some good blocks
Dunk - 6
Webster - 6
March - 7 - pleased for him, played well
Lallana - 6
Alzate - 5 - unfortunate error
Bissouma - 7
Trossard - 7
Maupay - 5 - didn’t do enough, lack of service, probably harsh but how I feel, you can’t see movement off the ball on TV.

Connolly - 6
Gross - 6 - thought he looked good in his brief time on
AJ - 5 - little contribution

Good performance, lots of positives.

This except:

6 for Alzate (his performance merited a 7 I think, but a point docked for the silly and costly error)
9 for Lamptey, who gets an automatic extra point on top of what he really deserves for just being Lamptey and costing us £3m.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Great post, enjoyed reading that.

For me a really impressive performance. Although one where we ran out of steam as the second. Half progressed.

I agree on the ratings, the only one I would change is a Webster. For me he looks the least comfortable on the ball of all our outfield players, by some margin. I’d have had him with a rating similar to Maupay in terms of contribution. Hopefully he’ll grow playing with those around him

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan 6 - Some culpability on the first goal with his distribution. Nothing he could've done with the other two.

Lamptey 9. Enjoy him while you can this boy is going right to the top.

Dunk 6.5. Should have scored but marshalled the defence well.

White 7 Impressive league debut. Starting to see what the fuss was about. Looks a real star in the making.

Webster 7. Some nervous moments but thought overall did well against top quality opponents.

March 8. If Solly has had a better game for us I cannot remember it. Really got forward well.

Alzate 6 At fault for the 1st but put in a solid performance after that.

Bissouma 8 - Thought he drove us and is really starting to look a very good player. Still gets wrong side of the ball sometimes but is improving rapidly.

Lallana 7. A touch of class in the final 3rd. Hopefully we can get him on the pitch because he really offered something we lacked previously.

Trossard 8. Looked fitter and caused them problems. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Maupay 6 - Missed a good chance but offered himself constantly, needed someone to take some of the pressure off.

Subs

Connolly 5. Ran channels and buzzed around but ineffectual in the final 3rd.

Ali J 4 - If he wants to make it in England he needs to do a lot better and quickly. This cameo could hasten his departure.

Gross 6 Neat and tidy but game had gone by the time he got on.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Great post, enjoyed reading that.

For me a really impressive performance. Although one where we ran out of steam as the second. Half progressed.

I agree on the ratings, the only one I would change is a Webster. For me he looks the least comfortable on the ball of our outfield players, by some margin. I’d have had him with a rating similar to Maupay in terms of contribution. Hopefully he grow playing with those around him

It is all opinions, but I thought Webster played pretty well and splayed some impressive passes around the pitch and, like White, a few loose ones also. In particular, one special one to Lamptey comes to mind. The trio at the back look good and will only get sharper with more game time. Likewise, I thought Lamptey was fantastic and Solly made a great contribution to the team. Maupay was off his game and I reckon Webbo's contribution merits a rather higher rating than Maupay's.
Anyway, onwards to Geordieland.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Of course it was an error but the worst thing a player can do after a mistake is dwell on it and withdraw (and he didn’t), saying that, you could see he was really annoyed with himself at half time. Good players learn from their mistakes. Dunk and Maupay’s missed chances were equally expensive. I am sure that the management will do all they can to firstly discuss the error and secondly lift his spirits.

To an extent goals conceded like that come with the territory of playing it out from the back. I wouldn’t abandon that style though, and with White added we will have our successes playing that way.
Alzate will be fine. He’s a talented player who has done very well for himself. It’s Not easy prising Yourself out of the under23 abyss. Hopefully he’s learned an important lesson - that you can never switch off at this level. And that’s coming from someone who represented their school at third-team level.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It is all opinions, but I thought Webster played pretty well and splayed some impressive passes around the pitch and, like White, a few loose ones also. In particular, one special one to Lamptey comes to mind. The trio at the back look good and will only get sharper with more game time. Likewise, I thought Lamptey was fantastic and Solly made a great contribution to the team. Maupay was off his game and I reckon Webbo's contribution merits a rather higher rating than Maupay's.

It is all about opinions, and many have a far more jaundiced view of Webster to me and, equally, an extremely positive one towards Dunk. I thought the former was better than the latter last night. Beyond his miss, Dunk badly over-committed in the second half enabling a counter-attack in which we were outnumbered; if Webster had done that, it would have been more widely highlighted.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
To an extent goals conceded like that come with the territory of playing it out from the back. I wouldn’t abandon that style though, and with White added we will have our successes playing that way.
Alzate will be fine. He’s a talented player who has done very well for himself. It’s Not easy prising Yourself out of the under23 abyss. Hopefully he’s learned an important lesson - that you can never switch off at this level. And that’s coming from someone who represented their school at third-team level.

Absolutely, hopefully that type of error will become rarer and rarer across the team. I didn’t really think about it but that was also his first competitive game since February so without that mistake it would have been an excellent performance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Never seen Webster hit passes like he did last night - 2 or 3 excellent long crossfield balls. Had a good game all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here