Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Gotta disagree with this - yes the ref was poor but KLL was looking for those tackles ... he was holding back going for the ball and certainly when the villain got the yellow Kaz could had the ball and been gone way before matey arrived .. he did the same thing a couple of minutes earlier. As for getting the yellow I'll stand alone if I have to but the second he started to go over I called it, so obvious was it. He has a very poor game and thankfully Noon injected some life into things

100% correct. The good news is we know he can play an awful lot better.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ankergren 7 - Very solid
Calderon 7 - An absolute rock on the right
Greer 9 - MOM for me
Dunk 8 - Comfortable and composed. El-Abd and Elphick will struggle to break back in.
Painter 6.5 - Solid
Sparrow 6.5 - Solid
Bridcutt 8 - ran the midfield 2nd half
Dicker 5 - Played exactly as he always does. Did ok but gives the ball away in key places and needs to be told that he doesn't have FIFTEEN MINUTES to make decisions.
Lua Lua 5 - Out of the game. Went down easily three or four times.
Barnes 7 - Held the ball up well and linked attack and midfield
Mackail Smith 8 - Superb attitude and superb movement. I like him a LOT

Subs:
Noone 8 - Looked a better prospect than Lua Lua
Buckley 10 - Absolutely a different class

Fans 10 - Sang our hearts out today and were rewarded by some great entertainment.

Ref 3 - Abysmal

Gus 6 - 8 overall for the subs and the tactics, 4 for the silly sending off. We need him on the touchline.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Buckley - can a sub be given 9 or 10, for what he did? Not just the goals, but his game caused mayhem.

Dunk can go a long way in football. Seem a class act, for so young.

Do not play Sparrow & Dicker together centre-midfield. Too similar & pedestrian.

this.

Greer was superb 9, a rock, always assured on the ball, Thought Sparrow 5 was pretty pants and slow today.

Noone 8 and Buckley 10 were great, though nooney spooned a clean through.

Barnes 6 didn't look a threat. CMS 7 runs like a loon for 90 minutes.

Buckley was simply amazing, speed, running at defenders, flicks and 2 quality finishes.

Still Hoskins to come back, plus another quality attacker and another midfielder. We're going to look OK.

What a day.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
this.

Greer was superb, a rock, always assured on the ball, Thought Sparrow was pretty pants and slow today.

Noone and Buckley were great, though nooney spooned a clean through.

Barnes didn't look a threat. CMS runs like a loon for 90 minutes.

Buckley was simply amazing, speed, running at defenders, flicks and 2 quality finishes.

Still Hoskins to come back, plus another quality attacker and another midfielder. We're going to look OK.

What a day.

Dicker little better than Sparrow today.

Buy a pacey centre midfielder/creator, and is Painter vulnerable?

CMS and Barnes didn't get instinctive passing from Dicker & Sparrow, when ready on the defenders shoulders or making runs. Perhaps rusty?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
damnit! I just wrote a really detailed rating thing and and accidentally hit page back and lost it all!. Grr.

Ankergren 7.
Calderon 7.
Greer 7.5.
Dunk 8.
Painter 6.5.
Sparrow 6.
Dicker 6.
LuaLua 6.
Bridcutt 7.
Barnes 7.
CMS 7.

Subs:
Noone 8.
Buckley 8.

-Bridcutt and Dicker passed each other into a blind alley, and it seemed unfair for Dicker to get the sole blame for losing possession for their goal.
-The team as a whole lost possession too much
-Seemed like no one was alert to balls coming loose from challenges, or passes being deflected and so missed out on lots of opportunities to win possession.
-Overall deserved the win today, but need to improve.
-Lualua was starting to go down too easy. The incident he was booked for wasn't a dive or a foul, but the ref indicated to calderon the booking was for several dives, not just that one. Perhaps if Kaz hadn't claimed a penalty, the ref would have given him the benefit of the doubt, though the ref did seem quite inconsistent (he gave lualua a free kick when he slipped) so there's no guarantee.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Ankergren 7
Calderon 7
Greer 8 Won everything in the air, him and Dunk have a great partnership!
Dunk 8 Although i didn't like the look of the challenge on Sharp, had no chance of getting the ball!
Painter 7
Sparrow 5 Anonymous most of the game and feel we need a better CAM
Bridcutt 7
Dicker 5 Similar to Sparrow, maybe slightly better, but was at fault for the goal!
Lua Lua 4 Went down far too easy, nothing seemed to work but maybe could have had a penalty!
Barnes 6.5
Mackail Smith 7.5 Works his sock off!

Subs:
Noone 9 Besides the miss he is just pure class, the assist was sensational!
Buckley 9 Would like to see him take players on more but you really can't ask for more than 2 goals

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thought Dicker was pretty poor, wanted far too much time in the middle of the park and cost us the goal and nearly cost us another when he did pretty much exactly the same thing in the second half.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren 7 - Did nothing wrong, he will be more important against teams who play deeper against us.
Calderon 6 - Didn't really think he got involved much, overhit a couple of crosses. Defended well though.
Painter 6 - Not impressed with him in the first half when he was playing in front of me, didn't get much cover but exposed more than once.
Dunk 8 - Bad tackle on Sharp, but mistimed rather than malicious. Perfect otherwise, proved we don't need another centre back.
Greer 8 - Class personified, might be disappointed with his positioning for their goal but real quality.
Bridcutt 9 - The real man of the match. Tackled, passed, moved about the pitch and ran the game for us. Magnificent player.
Dicker 7 - Too slow at times, but his passing will be key and he put in a couple of important tackles that many people might have missed.
Sparrow 7 - Class player, can tackle aswell as attacking, deffinitely my favourite player.
LuaLua 6 - Didn't show anything really, skinned the right back once but couldn't keep his balance and looked behind the others in preparation (which he is!).
Barnes 6 - Will be disappointed with the one-on-one and his all round play but wasn't off the pace, just a bad performance on the day.
Mackail-Smith 8 - Has set himself a standard to match every match. Amazing work rate and effectiveness, only had one chance to score.

Subs
Noone 8 - We should really have started with him I think, added width and the ability to run at defenders.
Buckley 8 - Looked a little bit underwhelming with his first run but then scored his first and really started playing. Could be a real talent.

Match experience - 10. Amazing day, the build up to kick off was spine-tingling.
Amex Pies 9 - Chicken and Ham = winner.
Amex "cheese burger" 2 - Complete and utter flop. Reminded me of bacon-rollgate of last season.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Only watching a stream tonight.
But I thought our back line were decent, Greer and Dunk especially. Donny aren't a tall attacking side but there was zero threat from high balls. Thankfully Anker was well protected in that department. Not sure why we neglected our usual slow build up style in the first 30mins.

Wing backs were ok, Tho' I felt Painter wasn't well protected when KLL was on, we seemed to let them run with the ball down the left side too freely.

KLL was predictably man marked and Dicker and Sparrow struggled to find time on the ball. Distribution was at times laboured and we seemed to be behind the pace and last to the ball in midfield. Bridcutt seemed to be between a rock and a hard place in the first half. This improved dramatically with the introduction of Noone and Buckley as they found space and began to run at their defence.

Barnes was himself, great positional prowess to warrant a couple of clear chances, slightly unlucky with one but has a knack for finding space in the box, needs to finish the easier chances. CMS unlucky not to score a screamer, brilliant energy and will be a legend for us, not quite managing to hold up play as he would have liked but will force errors from opposing defences regularly.

Overall - thank the lord (Gus) that we had the depth of squad to throw on two young exciting players that instantly changed the whole reflection and result of the game.

It''s gonna be a real rollercoaster this year - that much seems evident from tonight!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ankergren 6 - Could he have done better with the goal?
Calderon 6.5 - Solid defensivley, but subdued going forward, especially when Lua Lua was in front of him
Painter 6 - Looked the weak link in the first half, better second.
Dunk 7 - Well done that lad
Greer 8 - Excellent
Bridcutt 8 - Our best midfielder by a country mile
Dicker 5 - The game passed him by
Sparrow 6 - Better than Dicker, but not by much
LuaLua 5 - They'll be better days
Barnes 6 - Out of position for long periods. Never going to be a success wide left
Mackail-Smith 8 - Always busy. Love him

Subs
Noone 8 - Made a huge difference
Buckley 8 - Wow! That's how to make an impact!

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Ankergren 6 - Could he have done better with the goal?
Calderon 6.5 - Solid defensivley, but subdued going forward, especially when Lua Lua was in front of him
Painter 6 - Looked the weak link in the first half, better second.
Dunk 7 - Well done that lad
Greer 8 - Excellent
Bridcutt 8 - Our best midfielder by a country mile
Dicker 5 - The game passed him by
Sparrow 6 - Better than Dicker, but not by much
LuaLua 5 - They'll be better days
Barnes 6 - Out of position for long periods. Never going to be a success wide left
Mackail-Smith 8 - Always busy. Love him

Subs
Noone 8 - Made a huge difference
Buckley 8 - Wow! That's how to make an impact!

This, plus he lost/gave the ball away too much, like last season, and one of his losses let Donny in for the goal. Can be superb with some sublime touches and passes but needs to toughen up in "one on ones" and tackle a bit harder, IMO. (Now waiting for the "I love Gary Dicker" backlash)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thought Dicker was pretty poor, wanted far too much time in the middle of the park and cost us the goal and nearly cost us another when he did pretty much exactly the same thing in the second half.

I completely concur. I was concerned that he was our nominated 'creative' midfielder this season anyway, frankly: & he did very little to convince me otherwise today. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't think he's good enough to cut it at this level. Time will tell eh?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seeing that NSC has a habit of given goalkeepers low marks because "they had nothing to do..."

I really hope Ankergren averages a 5 all season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Broadly agree with most of the ratings.

Glad people noticed how well Bridcutt played. Don;t agree with most about Painter - his positional sense more than makes up for a lack of pace even in this league.

Who didn't we miss? The big New Zealand lump.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yep, shocking decision from Donny's 12th man - the ref and both linesmen were poor. Kaz suffered the most from the ref's inability to work out a**e from elbow, with the pen and the blatant fouling he suffered from - both on the left and when he switched to the right

To be fair to the Assistant, he actually gave a corner and the referee ignored him, and booked KLL, if the Assistant Referee had thought it to be a dive, he would have flagged. Both assistants had a good game, apart from one offisde for Barnes which looked level.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ankergren 6.5 not a lot to do
Painter 6 bit off the pace
Greer 7
Dunk 8 (premiership bound in the future ?)
Calderon 7
Spaz 6
Dicker 5 (must realise that he needs to play the ball faster in this league)
Bridcutt 7.5 (another player who may be premiership bound)
Lua Lua 6 (was not allowed space so could not run at defenders but was composed in tight areas)
Barnes 5.5 worked hard but off the pace
CMS 8 ran all day long

Noone 8.5
Buckley 9
Changed the game between them

We need an experienced midfield playmaker who can play the killer pass spaz and Dicker both dwell on the ball for too long

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must have watched a different game to most:

Ankergren 7 Competant with everything thrown at him and good distribution.
Calderon 7 Not troubled unduly
Greer 8 Mr Reliability as usual
Dunk 8 Good performance unlucky with yellow card.
Painter 6 Not one of his better games but Ok.
Sparrow 6 Anonymous for most of the game.
Dicker 5 Very poor
Bridcutt 6 Very poor 1st half in fact would have taken him off at half time but better in the 2nd but didn't look the answer as holding midfielder for this season.
Lua Lua 6 Promised a lot but produced little and was justifiably booked for dinving as he did it on every tackle.
Barnes 6 Ran around but didnt look like he would score a goal and offered no support whatsoever to CMS.
CMS 8.5 MOM due to his appetitte for the game and his continual running but must be concerned at the balls he is receiving, which arent good or quick enough.

Noone 8 Changed the game when he came on and attacked them.
Buckley 8 Did all that was expected of him and they couldnt control him. 2 superb goals.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Must have watched a different game to most:

Ankergren 7 Competant with everything thrown at him and good distribution.
Calderon 7 Not troubled unduly
Greer 8 Mr Reliability as usual
Painter 6 Not one of his better games but Ok.
Sparrow 6 Anonymous for most of the game.
Dicker 5 Very poor
Bridcutt 6 Very poor 1st half in fact would have taken him off at half time but better in the 2nd but didn't look the answer as holding midfielder for this season.
Lua Lua 6 Promised a lot but produced little and was justifiably booked for dinving as he did it on every tackle.
Barnes 6 Ran around but didnt look like he would score a goal and offered no support whatsoever to CMS.
CMS 8.5 MOM due to his appetitte for the game and his continual running but must be concerned at the balls he is receiving, which arent good or quick enough.

Noone 8 Changed the game when he came on and attacked them.
Buckley 8 Did all that was expected of him and they couldnt control him. 2 superb goals.

Yes you did. We saw the game where Dunk was playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here