Painter 7

Bridcutt 9
Dicker 9
Bennett 8

Barnes 7
Wood 8
Murray 9

Noone 6 - Probably his least effective appearance so far
Sandaza 7 - Sometimes looks a bit hapless but was spot on tonight, and scored a nice goal

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I thought Gordon Greer was f***ing marvellous tonight. Always available for a pass, great when he recieved it. My Man of the Match amongst stiff competition.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Agree with Vulture's figures. Greer was incredible for the first hour. Have never seen an Albion centre dribbling the ball forward so much and then combining it with a through ball or chip over the top of the defence. Brilliant

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I never saw Lawrenson play for us, but that performance from Greer tonight is how I imagine him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The problem I have with the ratings this season is the constantly low scores Ankergren gets on the basis he has "nothing to do..."

The atmosphere was very flat tonight, so we got the chance to to listen to the constant communication that goes on between him and the defenders. There is something interesting going on between him and Greer that I hadn't noticed before.

Added to that, he is so comfortable with the ball at his feet it's like having an extra outfield player.

So far from having "nothing to do...", I'd suggest that he's actually quite busy - just not in the orthodox way we have become accustomed to League One style of play.

He's been crucial to our success this season and is not a "6.5" player.

Oct 2, 2008
Agreed. Greer has been a fantastic signing. He is not that quick (in fact thats being kind) but his postitional sense, confidence in possession and ability to pass the ball are excellent.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The problem I have with the ratings this season is the constantly low scores Ankergren gets on the basis he has "nothing to do..."
He's had about five saves to make in his Brighton career. :lol:

He is better with the ball at his feet than a lot of keepers, for sure. But what he does isn't really that complicated.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's had about five saves to make in his Brighton career. :lol:

He is better with the ball at his feet than a lot of keepers, for sure. But what he does isn't really that complicated.

I think that's a rather simplistic and old fashioned view of the role of a keeper. Do you honestly think we would be able to play in the current style with Kuipers in goal ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We wouldn't have been able to go back to him, no, but I think with the players we have we'd be quite capable of playing passing football with just the ten of them. It's a useful option, very useful, but not critical. In my opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ankers had little to do, a few of his upfield passes went out of play, and he made a bit of a hash of one shot, punching it, and despite what the guy on the radio said about the force of the punch, it didn't get much further than the edge of the box, if it even made it out, and sent a shiver of nerves through the section of the crowd I was in (though, they did seem a bit nervous on a couple of Argyle's late (toothless) forays into our area, so perhaps they were just a twitchy bunch this evening).

But ignoring a couple of screwed punts and a nervy cross, he really didn't have a lot to do. His part in the passing game isn't particularly flashy or impressive, it's generally simple triangles like what most people who play football can do, or at least he makes them look that way, especially when he doesn't get put under pressure, so it is hard to rate him particularly highly for it.

Defence was strong and confident. Thy covered each other, and three of them made regular pushes forward.

Midfield was quite comfortable on the ball, controlling the game. Some lovely turns and tricks from dicker, great pace from bennett, fantastic defensive and holding work from bridcutt with some great effort breaking up argyle attacks and dropping back to support the defence and getting forward to support attacks.

Forward line was a little mixed bag, but we were so dominant it wasn't much of an issue. Barnes had a bad game, in his early attacks it almost seemed like he didn't want to score, then later it just seemed like he couldn't, and did look like his head dropped after a few misses. Murray had a few moments where he tried to do too much, before he got his goals particularly, but still managed to score two. Wood seemed to get lucky with his shot bobbling over the keeper, and he had a few issues with rapping the ball, but hd some nice touches, worked hard both in attack and defence.

Not flawless, but a comfortable performance against a side who held out for a while, but couldn't compete.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

The atmosphere was very flat tonight, so we got the chance to to listen to the constant communication that goes on between him and the defenders. There is something interesting going on between him and Greer that I hadn't noticed before.

Added to that, he is so comfortable with the ball at his feet it's like having an extra outfield player.

So far from having "nothing to do...", I'd suggest that he's actually quite busy - just not in the orthodox way we have become accustomed to League One style of play.

Agree with this almost word for word.

Unsung hero of our success so far this season.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
..which begs the question, if it's so easy why don't other teams in this league employ the goalkeeper to play like that ?

.. and why doesn't Poyet rotate the keepers ?

I tend to think of scoring in a completely different way, the manner in which many lecturers mark exams. You start off with a maximum score and remove them as mistakes are made.

Struggle to see why you would remove 3.5 marks from the goalkeeper tonight.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I think he must be the only 'keeper in the league that has more contact with the ball with his feet than he does with his hands :laugh:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
..which begs the question, if it's so easy why don't other teams in this league employ the goalkeeper to play like that ?

.. and why doesn't Poyet rotate the keepers ?

I tend to think of scoring in a completely different way, the manner in which many lecturers mark exams. You start off with a maximum score and remove them as mistakes are made.

Struggle to see why you would remove 3.5 marks from the goalkeeper tonight.

I see where your coming from, I tend to start everyone on a 6

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ankergren 10 - Nothing to do

Calde 7 - Solid performance but tends to leave Greer exposed at times. Luckily though:
Greer 8 - A classy, ball-playing centre half who is as comfortable off th ball as he is on it.
El-Abd 7 - A rock
Painter 7 - Has literally no idea what to do in the final third but so solid its ridiculous.

Bridcutt 9 - Immense. Far more creative a player than I expected when we signed him
Dicker 8 - Broke up play really well
Bennett 8 - A constant menace

Barnes 7 - Finishing still leaves a lot do be desired but great work-rate along with good positional play.
Wood 8 - great goal and great link-up with Muzza
Murray 9 - What a CORKER of a second goal, eh? Super all-round performance. Has he ever played better for us>]?

Noone 6 - Quiet but unsettled their defence well
Sandaza 7 - Good performance. Looks properly fit now (touch wood)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ankergren would be comfortable in the defence let alone in goal, his ball control is outstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here