Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Think Dixon is getting a pretty rough deal, granted wasn't the greatest game, but played a major part in the first goal and had some very nice touches. Give him a pre-season of fitness work and think he may do all right

I do agree. I am not paying much attention to my own rating as it is does not paint the whole picture.

A decent time to judge him will be next season, as you say, with a pre-season under his belt and some more experience in the first team squad. There were some positives to take from his play today and showed some good touches in the second half which should bode well.

Why have you given Kuipers a 6? Worth not much more than a 3 IMO.

Anyway heres mine

Kuipers - 4 - Cost us a goal and then gave them another easychance shortly after, then wasted about 4 minutes taking goal kicks

Racon - 8 - My MOM, seemed to run the show today
Cox - 7 - Assist and a goal and a few decent passes

Were you actually at the game?

Racon. 8? Are you mad? He had a reasonable first half but stank the place out in the second. I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away and fell over.

Cox was his usual self-loads of passes to nobody in blue when he should have carried the ball another 30 yards or so. Loads of attempts to play long cross-field balls but made no allowances for the conditions.

Kuipers? Nine shots on target by Hartlepool but he gets a 4?

the subs? Robinson was mainly gash and it was his giving the ball away that led to their goal.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner

Racon. 8? Are you mad? He had a reasonable first half but stank the place out in the second. I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away and fell over.

Cox was his usual self-loads of passes to nobody in blue when he should have carried the ball another 30 yards or so. Loads of attempts to play long cross-field balls but made no allowances for the conditions.

Kuipers? Nine shots on target by Hartlepool but he gets a 4?

the subs? Robinson was mainly gash and it was his giving the ball away that led to their goal.

Evidently Da Man And I Were At A Different Game To You.

Racon Was Class, Cox Scored And Played Well, Kuipers Was Hit And Miss. Robinson's Timely Intervention Helped Us Get The Winner.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Kuipers - 5 - Not his best game of the season but his catching was pretty solid on a slippy pitch. All the tossers that like to slag him off will be delighted.

Whing - 7 - Good tackles and typically committed performance.
Elphick - 6 - Decent blocking but had less of an impact than he has the last few games.
Butters - 6 - Looks slow but positioning is good and headed everything that came his way.
Mayo - 6 - I thought he did alright, genarally solid and tried to get forward. A couple of 'Mayo moments'.

Cox - 7 - I never think he's played terribly well but the stats normally give him a good number of assists. Made one, scored one today.
Thomson - 7 - Best game I've seen him play for the Albion.
Racon - 6 - Best player on the pitch first half. Had to check he was on the pitch second half. Should have had to courage to shoot at the end.
Westlake - 6 - Worked hard down the left.

Murray - 7 - Just about my MOM. He's a quality player. Excellent precise finish for the goal and involved in the second.
Dixon - 5 - Thought he was better than last week. But is he really a better bet to start than Jakey?

Subs
Robinson - 6 - Makes things happen. Goalbound shot definitely hit an arm.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What?

Are You Both Blind? He Played A Blinder Today.

Clearly MoM

Racon had a very good first half, but for most of the second half he was piss poor. Constantly giving the ball away, poor passing and slow in the tackle. Have seen few such blatant jeckyl and hyde performances from an Albion player.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Racon had a very good first half, but for most of the second half he was piss poor. Constantly giving the ball away, poor passing and slow in the tackle. Have seen few such blatant jeckyl and hyde performances from an Albion player.

I agree with you mostly. However when he gave the ball away he tried to make up for it at least.

However based on an all-round performance today Thomson was the better of the two central midfielders.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Kuipers 6. Was he to blame for the goal. Didn't notice it from where I was sitting in the South Stand.

Whing 7. Pretty good game.

Elphick 8. Another MOM performance in my opinion in spite of one blunder in the second half.

Butters 6. Still great in the air, but slowing down.

Mayo 6. No a bad performance. Considering many had written him off he's done pretty well standing in for Richards.

Cox 6. Good first half. For much of the second half he played so badly I thought Wilkins should take him off. Then he scores! Just as well I'm not making the decisions!!

Racon 5. First half 8. Most of second half 3. Need to see much more consistency before we think of signing him ... and he needs to remember that the game is 90 mins long.

Thomson 8. Probably his best game for us. Deserved the goal.

Westlake 7. Good to see an albion winger who runs at defenders.

Murray 8. Good goal, great assist. Held the ball up well. Excellent in the air.

Dixon 5. Did he win anything in the air? Better than at Luton, but ...

Subs
Robinson 5. Did very little of note.
Lynch and Gatting ... not enough time.

Ref 2.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
A couple of weeks ago I was criticizing Dean Cox for the lack of results from his set pieces. In the last couple of games he has knocked my criticizm for six.
Well done young man.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
A couple of weeks ago I was criticizing Dean Cox for the lack of results from his set pieces. In the last couple of games he has knocked my criticizm for six.
Well done young man.

It has improved of late I would have to agree with that. Perhaps having someone like Murray who is good in the air, unlike Revell who couldn't seem to control the direction of his headers or runs, benefits him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Keepers are very hard to rate, and Kuipers performance today is a prime example of why. He didn't have a bad game in general. Made some saves and his catching was excellent. On the other hand. Possibly should have held the shot for the goal, then repeated the trick a minute later when he made a really good follow up save that he wouldn't have needed to make if he'd just pushed the original shot behind. The hack out to the middle, for the Stillian Petrov moment was just daft - row Z every time.

The defenders to a man were resolute, but all four were guilty of giving away soft fouls in bad positions. Happened far too much today.

Midfield, Cox does what he does. Don't know what people expect of him really. Racon much better than the twice I've seen him before, but still a bit, well, careless.

Thomson excellent. Westlake okay generally, but why did he keep running straight off the pitch with the ball?!

Dixon not ready. Murray excellent. Good finish, good assist, great workrate. Brilliant saving tackle 8 yards out in first half.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton

I was at your game mate, didn't impress after playing class at Forest.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Robinson gave the ball away for their goal, it was an inch perfect pass not a mishit.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Kuipers - 3 Well at fault for their goal, was lucky soon after with similar incident and also kicked one straight at one of their players who if his shot was on target would have gone in..... of course if you watch Michel, none of this was his fault !

Whing - 7
Mayo - 5
Butters - 6
Elphick - 7

Cox -7 Saw both sides of Cox's game, some excellent play and also switched off at times
Thomson - 7
Racon - 6
Westlake - 6

Dixon - 5
Murray - 7 Is so refreshing to see an albion striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play...two good headers for both goals

Robinson - 6
Gatting - 5
Lynch - 6

Last edited:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Can I just ask a question of everyone who posts player ratings. What, exactly are you rating? Let's take Kuipers as an example.

What is your baseline
- the career norm performance of the likes of Yashin, Banks or Zoff?
- the career norm performance of Kuipers
- the season norm performance of Kuipers
- the norm performance of level 3 goalkeepers
- something else.

Marks out of 10 just reduces something complex and beautiful into the normal short attention span bollox that we have to put up with today.

So I guess I won't be posting marks on here, then.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Can I just ask a question of everyone who posts player ratings. What, exactly are you rating? Let's take Kuipers as an example.

What is your baseline
- the career norm performance of the likes of Yashin, Banks or Zoff?
- the career norm performance of Kuipers
- the season norm performance of Kuipers
- the norm performance of level 3 goalkeepers
- something else.

Marks out of 10 just reduces something complex and beautiful into the normal short attention span bollox that we have to put up with today.

So I guess I won't be posting marks on here, then.

Dear oh dear, you do know it's just a football match? Granted if we were rating philosphers out of 10 you may have a bit of a point.

Plato - 9
Hegel - 7
Locke - 5
Nietzsche -3/9
Marx - 8

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kuipers - 5
Whing - 6
Butters - 5
Elphick - 7
Mayo - 1
Thomson - 8
Racon - 8
Cox - 5
Westlake - 7
Murray - 7
Dixon - 6

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Dear oh dear, you do know it's just a football match? Granted if we were rating philosphers out of 10 you may have a bit of a point.

Plato - 9
Hegel - 7
Locke - 5
Nietzsche -3/9
Marx - 8

Locke deserves an 8, IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here