Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Palace

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren 5 - Not really sure what he did so wrong to be so vilified. Not a disaster but the goals were soft.
Tarricco 6 - Tactical and positional nous, all you could ask from him.
Painter 6 - Skinned once or twice by Zaha, he was alright defensively though, but for the dodgy ball to Dunk and his yellow.
Greer 6 - Will be disappointed by the goals we've conceeded in the last two games, and will ask questions about his leadership at the back but not bad individually.
Dunk 5 - I thought Murray played him very well, but he is such a good prospect. He will have learnt a lot from Murray's movement against him.
Bridcutt 7 - Our only really classy player on the night, he is always a 7/10 minimum. His controlling of the ball out of the air in the second half was sublime.
Dicker 4 - Rubbish. Frankly. I love the guy as a player, but it wasn't a good night for him and it's a real shame.
Harley 4 - One or two flashes of his vision, but his role in our team was what their #20 did for them. He was influential, Harley was peripheral.
Noone 6 - Will be disappointed to have been withdrawn but worked hard atleast, and showed a few good touches and runs.
Barnes 5 - Totally out of the game. Complete and utter passenger. Very disappointing.
CMS 6 - Work rate alone gets him a 7/10 but he was let down by the service and the support tonight. Cracking goal though.

Subs
Vincelot 5 - Will be disappointed not to have started the game and will be firmly miffed we let in 3 goals with him on the pitch.
LuaLua 5 - Completely ineffective but for one or two good crosses into the box. His free-kick summed up the night.
Vicente 5 - Oh dear, he fluffed his moment. Breaking clear, he was free and had a straight run. He was indecisive, very disappointing.

Poyet 5 - His subs made no impact and the team was rubbish after the first 10 minutes, completely outplayed by Palace.
Support 3 - Rubbish. You could feel that we were uncomfortable after the first 20 minutes, no faith and no belief. Amazing night.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Vicente 5. First time I've seen him and based on those 15 mins I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I wouldn't judge him on what you saw today (although I thought he looked ok but had very little to work with) .... he was brilliant against Liverpool and if he was 5 years younger I would be screaming for the team to be built around him.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Are we coming to realise that Murray is better than Barnes and Hopskins and that we should have kept him? I think we miss his presence.

I think he looked better tonight because he wasn't isolated. CMS must wonder sometimes if everyone else thinks he has some sort of infectious desease..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree mostly with your player 'points' other than, and sorry to say it, I think that you and other posters should perhaps be a bit more definitive - for example there appears to be little difference between an excellent or very good performance and a crap one.

Not getting at you on this point please note.

I think the problem is that it's all opinions. Some people will focus on the bad points of a player and mark him lower, and so what you see as a good performance apparently has a mark similar to that of a a bad performance. i.e. someone would think dicker had a bad game and mark him, say, 5, you think they have giving a good performance a low mark of 5.

For me, I try to give a little explanation for the markings, but the explanations might not be my whole reason. I might highlight errors to explain why I didn't mark someone higher, or why I've marked a player higher than some others (i.e. a generally poor performance getting a bigger rating because of a couple of goal line clearances or assists). So, although my remarks may make it seem like I'm giving similar marks for a poor performance as I am for a good one.

For example, I thought Vicente was a decent, though not spectacular performance. Slightly above an average performance, so a 6. I mentioned that it was the wrong game/wrong time because I expect he could have had a better performance and earned a higher rating if he came on at half time or started the game, or that a different substitution may have had more of an effect on the match.

Sep 28, 2011
Understand you guys are obviously pissed off to the eyeballs but you are being a tad harsh on yourselves!

Thought first 30 mins you lot were a class above, tight on any of our players when they had the ball and attacked well - and when we got it to 1-1 I was genuinly cacking it that you'd score again!

Keep playing like the first half, and I'm sure you lot will win more than you lose.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Understand you guys are obviously pissed off to the eyeballs but you are being a tad harsh on yourselves!

Thought first 30 mins you lot were a class above, tight on any of our players when they had the ball and attacked well - and when we got it to 1-1 I was genuinly cacking it that you'd score again!

Keep playing like the first half, and I'm sure you lot will win more than you lose.

Don't be nice. It makes it WORSE.

Il moniker

Sep 28, 2011
for what it's worth i got no sleep last night, and since i was 4,000 miles away i left work cos at 1-0 down i was about to hit one of my clients, or colleagues... so for at least that long you had me beat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Casper - 5 - Poor on 2 goals. The second one, although he was on the ground he should have kept it out as he had both hands on the ball. Thirs should not get beaten from 20+ yds, flat dive no spring.

Tanno - 6 - Did his best, good first half
Dunk - 5 - Poor distribution, looked nervy. 2 poor games in a row for me.
Greer - 6 - Ok, whilst all else crumbled.
Painter - 4 - Worst game for the club.

Dicker - 5 - ok in first half rubbish in second.
Bridcutt - 6 - Poor by his high standards, but again can't do it on his own.
Harley - 4 - I'm afraid not my type of player. Not THAT creative even, strolls too much, without putting a tackle in.
Noone - 6 - Seems to tire midway through the second half.

Barnes - 4 - Didn't look up for the game. Amazed.
CMS - 6 - MOM from a Brighton perspective. Got the goal, looked hungry, no service.

Vincelot - 5 - Struggled to get into the game.
Lua-Lua - 5 - As above
Vincente - 5 - As above

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Thought first 30 mins you lot were a class above,

20 minutes perhaps ... after that it was only a question of time. Best thing that could have happened to us would have been going 1-0 down after 6 minutes, some may have put a bit of fight in then - we'll never beat anyone with 3 or 4 just not showing up

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Ankergren 4 - New keeper needed to allow for cover - urgent
Taricco 6 - Best of a poor defence
Greer 5 - OK at best
Dunk 3 - had a mare - couldn't find a Brighton player with a pass, no sign of the confidence that has been there all season
Painter 4 - similar passing skills to Dunk
Bridcutt 7 - Outstanding until booked, best of a poor lot after. (Durso to blame for taking all tackles out of the game)
Dicker 5 - provided little cover for the defence and lost the ball too much
Noone 7 - great effort and beat his man more often than not
Harley 3 - what was the point of him? No attack, no cover for defence - seriously what was he doing out there?
CMS 6 - got the goal, worked hard, but he is not a lone striker and can't hold the ball (the way Murray can)
Barnes 6 - didn't get forward enough, but was the only "midfield" player to provide any real cover for defence - whether he should be a defensive midfield player is another matter.

Need a holding striker, need a keeper and probably need a defender - all seem very urgent now. Also need a midfield that are balanced enough to cover and attack.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Missed mpost of the second half so wont do any ratings but trhought that four games in nine days was always goign tpo be hard on a team like ours with the way that we play. I think it caught up with us.

Agree with Gus though that its a reality check... I was always goign to be happy to be anywhere in the top half of the table.

Why oh why did it have to be Palace though...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Bridcutt was terrible yesterday - totally annonymous in the second half

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ankergren 5 - Needs to be challenged for his place and where is his voice?
Taricco 7 - Thought he played really well and thought he looked good for 90. Didn't quite link up with the right side like Calde does though.
Greer 4 - poor. Panicked and hoofed a lot last night. Second bad game in a row.
Dunk 5 - that booking seemed to stop him tackling completely.
Painter 5 - was not our worst last night but lack of pace exposed
Bridcutt 6 - Fantastic first half, struggled and was pulled out of position second
Dicker 5 - Gave ball away too much struggled to find forward runners and options
Noone 7 - our most potent threat first half, tracked back well
Harley 5 - looked out of place and nervous
CMS 6 - great finishing and hard work. Cleared a certain Palace goal off the line but Barnes played too far away and he had no support
Barnes 5 - too deep and wide last night. Missed Calde I think.

Subs

Lua Lua 6 - thought he did okay when we got him on the ball, a couple of very dangerous crosses, but team struggled to find him
Vicente 6 - team did not play to his strengths
Vincelot 5 - Tarrico looked much better

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Ankergren 3
Tarrico 6.
Greer 4.
Dunk 5
Painter 4
Noone 8
Bridcutt 6
Harley 5
Dicker 4
Barnes 5
CMS 5

SUBS

KLL 4.
Vicente 5
Vincelot 4

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good ;)

Just feel you lot are being a bit harsh on your own lads - you werent that bad!

Arguably the worst since Gus took over. Definitely the worst since the beginning of last season (Leyton Orient away aside maybe).

Inicdentally, the low marks for Barnes are unjustified. He was frozen out of the game by a midfield that had no desire to be imaginative and a full-back who had no desire to bomb forward. He was almost always available, but was isolated and rejected. If he gets low marks, it's because of his team-mates.

Painter was shit, Dicker was stupid, and Harley was ineffective.

Apart from that, I had a cracking time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here