Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Orient

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Ankergren 7 - Hardly anything to do. The second half punch didn't bother me too much, at least it was decisive.

Taricco 7 - Really solid. A proper footballer who fits into our style of play.

El-Abd 8 - Another superb game from one of our best players. Good on the ball, strong in the tackle, throws himself into blocks, what a hero.

Greer 7 - A few moments of indecision but absolutely dominant when needed. I only noticed today how good the communication is at the back. Lots of talking, pointing, movement. GG did a very good job of leading the others in this today.

Painter 7.5 - Very decent game. Will be interesting to see what happens once Noone starts playing in front of him, because Marcos is good going forward.

Bennett 7 - Very busy, lots of running. Not afraid to have a go at the full-backs. Possibly needs a goal to get a bit more confidence IMO.

Sparrow 7 - Really positive player, technically very good and tries to make things happen. Not sure the system today and the other night completely suits him but he fitted in well enough.

Bridcutt 8 - Signed as a replacement for Navarro and in my opinion is even better. Really mobile, gets the ball moving and is fast becoming indispensable.

Dicker 8 - Still dwells on the ball on the odd occasion, but sees passes that others quite simply don't. Looked absolutely gutted after missing that chance!

Wood 7 - A little rough around the edges but clearly has promise. Linked up well with Murray and hopefully the outrageous fluke of a goal will give him a bit more confidence.

Murray 9 - 3 well-taken goals. Weirdly I still think he played better against Charlton. Good to see him hitting a bit of form, lets hope he goes on the goalscoring run we all know he is capable of.

SUBS

Kishishev 7 - Poyet was bang on after the game. I can't decide who was better out of Tanno or Kish.

Barnes 6 - Lucky to get a second chance with the goal but put it away well. Feel a bit happier with Wood starting, personally.

Holroyd 4 - Chronic lack of confidence in front of goal. Neat and tidy otherwise.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Must have missed that. I thought it was an own goal......granted it was a well struck cross.

Well struck, if slightly miscued...

Ankergren: 6 Must have been bored to tears as he had so little to do. Mind you, must he time waste at EVERY OPPORTUNITY!
Painter: 7 Solid as always
Greer: 8 So calm and composed. One of the best CBs to play in the Theatre of Trees
El-Abd: 8 Quite simply a different player since Gus arrived. Loved him riling Coxy up too!
Tanno: 8 Calde who?! Classy player even if he is nearly 40
Dicker: 8 Keeps things ticking over nicely. Made several excellent interceptions
Sparrow: 7 A quieter game but solid none the less
Bridcutt: 8.5 Superb
Wood: 8 Ran hard crossed hard
Murray: 10 What else? An absolute class act. He was utterly immense.

Amex_Charlie

Dec 17, 2010
Brighton
Well struck, if slightly miscued...

Ankergren: 6 Must have been bored to tears as he had so little to do. Mind you, must he time waste at EVERY OPPORTUNITY!
Painter: 7 Solid as always
Greer: 8 So calm and composed. One of the best CBs to play in the Theatre of Trees
El-Abd: 8 Quite simply a different player since Gus arrived. Loved him riling Coxy up too!
Tanno: 8 Calde who?! Classy player even if he is nearly 40
Dicker: 8 Keeps things ticking over nicely. Made several excellent interceptions
Sparrow: 7 A quieter game but solid none the less
Bridcutt: 8.5 Superb
Wood: 8 Ran hard crossed hard
Murray: 10 What else? An absolute class act. He was utterly immense.

Missed Out Bennet :p

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Ankergren 7
Painter 7
Greer 7
El-Abd-8.5
Tarrico-7
Dicker- 8
Sparrow- 7
Bridcutt-8
Wood-8
Bennett-8
Murray-10

Subs:
Kishishev- 8
Barnes-7
Holroyd-7

Jul 28, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire
ankergren - 7 diddn't have much to do but his distribution was very good.

tarrico - 7
el-abd -8.5
greer - 8
painter -7

bennett - 8.5
bridcut - 9
sparrow - 7
dicker - 7

murray - 9.5
wood -8

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can't wait to see it again.

Appeared to miss hit the cross (wasn't a great cross in that sense) but looked to us to be heading into the top of the goal. The goalkeeper got himself a bit twisted (expecting a completely different trajectory) and helped it in.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
0,,10433~9297647,00.jpg

Got to give Taricco at least an 8 for the flair :laugh:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Ankergren - 6 - Didn't have a shot on target to save. One dodgy punch, but everything else was fine (distribution great as ever).

Tano - 7 - Quiet first half without doing anything wrong, came into it more 2nd half, looked accomplished as you'd expect.
El-Abd - 8 - Just an absolute rock these days, such perfectly controlled aggression - rarely seems to commit fouls anymore, testament to how much he's developed his tackling and positioning.
Greer - 8 - Such composure on the ball, brilliant defensively, great 'know how' in literally every department. McGleish seemed to give up after 30 minutes as he was getting no change from him whatsoever.
Painter - 7.5 - Solid, should have fun linking up with Noone in the future.

Bennett - 7.5 - Such a team player, so mature in his play, whenever we whip out the total football, he's always at the centre of it.
Bridcutt - 8 - As with Bennett, he's so accomplished for a player of his age.. does a bit of everything. Becoming a very important player for us.
Dicker - 7 - He is erratic at times, as well know, but there are very few players in this division who can weight passes and spot runs like Dicker. A couple of cracking through-balls in the first half.
Sparrow - 6.5 - Quietly effective, covers a lot of ground. Clearly very good on the ball, but hasn't seen enough of it in recent matches.

Wood - 7 - Has slowly improved game by game and is now making telling contributions, still has a fair amount to learn, but I'm willing to trust Gus should he extend the loan. Provides another striking option and is starting to link up well with Murray.
Murray - 8.5 - Classy and confident, on a brilliant run at the moment and I hope it never ends. 20 goals? He's on track as it stands.

Kish - 8 - It was as though someone had picked up a Premier League player and dropped them on the Withdean right-flank! Alright Orient offered very little, but he strolled up and down for 30 minutes and was practically untouchable in everything he did!
Barnes - 6
Holroyd - 6

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You know what, I thought Sparrow was, in a quiet way, very very effective today. What he was doing wasn't the flash stuff, or the sort of last ditch heroics that get you noticed, but he won more than his share of tackles, made all his passes count, popped up with a couple of sublime through balls, and just generally didn't put a foot wrong.

It only occurred to me in the second half, because the other players were doing the pretty things that everyone sees, but I actually think he had one of his best games for us. In a sort of, underrated, Navarro style.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, I was quoting the wordsmith in the Orient end. :glare:

Oh right.

I know you have a great fondness for all our keepers who aren't called Michel, so I assumed it was related to that.

My bad :wave:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh right.

I know you have a great fondness for all our keepers who aren't called Michel, so I assumed it was related to that.

My bad :wave:

Fair assumption to make. I saw Michel in Brighton last week, and went all weak at the knees. Ankergren's a better goalkeeper now though, and perfect for our style of football. I opposed his signing in the summer, and criticised him since, but I have accepted I was wrong and am delighted with the Great Dane between our sticks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting really, as while I think he's a better option than Kuipers, whose time at this level was up at least a couple of seasons ago IMHO, Ankergren still doesn't fill me entirely with confidence.

We've more or less got away with it so far while the defence has been strong. Next season, IF we go up? I'm not so sure.

But hey, he's keeping the clean sheets most of the time so I'll always support him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Interesting really, as while I think he's a better option than Kuipers, whose time at this level was up at least a couple of seasons ago IMHO, Ankergren still doesn't fill me entirely with confidence.

We've more or less got away with it so far while the defence has been strong. Next season, IF we go up? I'm not so sure.

But hey, he's keeping the clean sheets most of the time so I'll always support him.

I know how you feel. I think I'm right in saying you went to Hartlepool? It's games like that which puts doubt in our minds, as fans, because he made one heck of a hash of the first goal and he is capable of doing the same with almost every cross into the box. The only chink in his game is his inability to deal with the ball in the air. Shot stopping and distribution, he is fantastic and has proven that time and time again. But put crosses into the box and we look vulnerable. Both goals at Huddersfield were from setpieces, and all 3 against Hartlepool came from balls into the box. That's his flaw, but I think overall he is a very good goalkeeper and he does suit our style of football. If Gus was worried about his weakness on crosses, he could put in Brezovan (much like he did after Michel failed to dominate his box against Norwich last season), but the fact he hasn't suggests to me that he's not too worried, or is willing to overlook it for the greater good.

oxfordseagull

Nov 29, 2010
Oxford from the South
Tanno was v good, Casper is so good with the distribution thing, but catch when u can instead of punching! I think if you watch Bennett and Painter they are good on the ball and quietly go about their stuff, I'm surprised Kish hasn't started to be honest, hope its all part of a cunning plan, funny to see tanno replaced by kish combined age of 74?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Ankergren - 6 - Didn't have a shot on target to save. One dodgy punch, but everything else was fine (distribution great as ever).

Tano - 7 - Quiet first half without doing anything wrong, came into it more 2nd half, looked accomplished as you'd expect.
El-Abd - 8 - Just an absolute rock these days, such perfectly controlled aggression - rarely seems to commit fouls anymore, testament to how much he's developed his tackling and positioning.
Greer - 8 - Such composure on the ball, brilliant defensively, great 'know how' in literally every department. McGleish seemed to give up after 30 minutes as he was getting no change from him whatsoever.
Painter - 7.5 - Solid, should have fun linking up with Noone in the future.

Bennett - 7.5 - Such a team player, so mature in his play, whenever we whip out the total football, he's always at the centre of it.
Bridcutt - 8 - As with Bennett, he's so accomplished for a player of his age.. does a bit of everything. Becoming a very important player for us.
Dicker - 7 - He is erratic at times, as well know, but there are very few players in this division who can weight passes and spot runs like Dicker. A couple of cracking through-balls in the first half.
Sparrow - 6.5 - Quietly effective, covers a lot of ground. Clearly very good on the ball, but hasn't seen enough of it in recent matches.

Wood - 7 - Has slowly improved game by game and is now making telling contributions, still has a fair amount to learn, but I'm willing to trust Gus should he extend the loan. Provides another striking option and is starting to link up well with Murray.
Murray - 8.5 - Classy and confident, on a brilliant run at the moment and I hope it never ends. 20 goals? He's on track as it stands.

Kish - 8 - It was as though someone had picked up a Premier League player and dropped them on the Withdean right-flank! Alright Orient offered very little, but he strolled up and down for 30 minutes and was practically untouchable in everything he did!
Barnes - 6
Holroyd - 6

We're the Stripes - 10/10. Couldn't agree more.

Great performence today, really good ball retention for 90 minutes, i am chuffed! Anyway;

Casper- 6: Solid and easy game for a quality keeper.
Taricco- 7: Didn't look as if he struggled with the Orient winger and was good on the ball.
El-Bloody Amazing- 8: Masterclass, the fat one and Revell didn't get a sniff.
Greer- 7: A truly brilliant signing and had a very good game.
Painter- 6: As always very solid but wasn't great attacking wise.
Benno- 7: Excellent linking play and great awareness (very poor sp).
Sparrow- 7: Worked very well in the three but he's a bit lightweight at times.
Dicker- 8: Near perfect passing ability and gets into some great positions.
Bridcutt- 8: Really really like him, he has developed a good partnership with Dicker.
Wood- 8: Best game by far for the club, difted onto the left well and attacked Orient's back four.
Murray- 9: Three very well taken goals and was involved in almost every attack, magnificent performence.

All subs were good.

Now I havn't looked on any other threads but is it true that Dicker is suspended for Exeter? And if the man wearing a red jacket sitting in the family stand uses NSC, very well played sir for getting the kids singing at the end. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here