Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Oldham

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Just got back from Boundary Park, quite disappointed because we could have won if Fleetwood wasn't so shit and lazy (I'll come to that later on). Best performance I've seen from the team since the opening game of the season up at Crewe, although we were a little defensive towards the end which is understandable.

It's a shame that we can't appeal against the two yellow cards given to Virgo, because the first was a joke - their player did a Gerrard dive in the box and after hesitation from the referee he finally pointed to the spot. Second yellow card was for a tackle exactly the same for what they got away with 10 seconds earlier on Tiny Cox, yes the tackle warranted a yellow card but should never have happened because we should have had the free-kick. I think that the rest we've had was for the benefit of the team as we looked a lot better, even Hawkins and El-Abd played good.

Also, credit to the number of Albion fans who made the journey today, didn't think there would be that many but we filled 80% of what we were given so well done :clap:

Kuipers - 7 - a couple of camera saves, although he spilled the ball on a few occasions.

Whing - 6 - average, although a lot better than some other peformances
Hawkins - 7 - did his job in the air and did his job in cutting down Hughes everytime he had the ball
Virgo - 6 - very unlucky not to be on the pitch, although credit to him for barging Hughes into the advertisement hoardings much to the humour of the Albion fans
Richards - 5 - he worries me at times, he looks nowhere near as good as he was last season. Better in the second-half though

Cox - 6 - a bit quiet today, not sure if we were playing the diamond and he was at the top of it but a better performance than some of the others I've seen
Johnson - 6 - won most things in the midfield, looked knackered after 70 minutes and turned defensive when we could have counter attacked
Thomson - 5 - didn't really do anything to be honest, not sure what he offers to the team
El-Abd - 6 - good performance in midfield today and solid when he went in to defence

Forster - 7 - not at his best, could have scored in the first-half but always contributes
Murray - 8 - great finish when one-on-one, if he'd have played the second-half we would have won

Sub:
Fleetwood - 3 - how someone can not put their foot out when your striker partner crosses a great ball and you a yard off the line is beyond me. Also didn't close down when he could have gone through after one of their players slipped. Puts himself about but he's really shit, but that's his last game for us so :wave:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sub:
Fleetwood - 3 - how someone can not put their foot out when your striker partner crosses a great ball and you a yard off the line is beyond me. Also didn't close down when he could have gone through after one of their players slipped. Puts himself about but he's really shit, but that's his last game for us so :wave:

We have him for another month!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where did The Argius get that from as MA said in his interview that he hadnt had chance to speak to the Charlton manager and didnt know if they wanted him back or not or indeed if he wanted to go back or not.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Where did The Argius get that from as MA said in his interview that he hadnt had chance to speak to the Charlton manager and didnt know if they wanted him back or not or indeed if he wanted to go back or not.

Charlton dont want him. They have there assistant as manager at the moment and he obviously doesnt rate him.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

now on club site

Stuart Fleetwood is poised to extend his loan deal from Charlton Athletic for another month subject to the two clubs agreeing terms.

Alan Pardew's departure from the Valley gives Fleetwood the chance to return to London to try and make inroads into the Addicks' first team, but instead the former Forest Green Rovers hitman has decided to stay and help Albion climb the table in League One.

Fleetwood told seagulls.co.uk, "I think I've still got more to show the club. I started off well but then petered out a little bit where I've been on the bench.

"I'm definitely happy to stay on for another month to try and play some more games and score some more goals.

"There's a great bunch of lads here and the banter is fantastic. I think that with the set of players we've got here we're in a false position in the league and we should really be up the table."

Fleetwood played his part in the impressive 1-1 draw at Boundary Park, initially replacing the injured Glenn Murray - who picked up a knock in the first half - before shifting into the wide left position after Adam Virgo's sending-off.

"I thought we coped with it very well," he said. "Defensively we were fantastic.

"We've been put through our paces over the last 11 days and the gaffer really let us know how he felt about the last four results.

"The character we showed today definitely shows he's got a reaction from the players."

Fleetwood came agonisingly close to netting his second goal for the Seagulls late on, but just couldn't apply the finish to Nicky Forster's centre.

"Fozzy played a great ball across and I stuck my foot out and it just bounced straight over it," he explained.

"I don't know if it was the hard pitch out there but it was just one of those things. On another day it just hits me and goes in.

"So we could have nicked the points, but we're definitely happy with one."

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

I think he was being watched by Charlton today, and they saw how ineffective he was that they say they don't need/want him back.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
From the commentary it sounded like Fleetwood was quite lively and had a couple of good chances to score, especially the one mentioned by RM-T. For those who were at the game, should he have put it away or was it just out of his reach?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
From the commentary it sounded like Fleetwood was quite lively and had a couple of good chances to score, especially the one mentioned by RM-T. For those who were at the game, should he have put it away or was it just out of his reach?

All he had to do was move his foot out and he'd have scored. The fact that he didn't even bother is what amazed and pissed off the fans

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
he should have really got there but was over in a flash but as usual rm taylor is going over the top i thought he got stuck in more than he usually does and did more today than in 75 mins at stockport

kuipers 8 good game,commanded the box and was alert in the 2nd half
whingy 6 poor 1st half but better in the 2nd,nearly scored from a header when we were down to 10
virgo 6 was always gonna get sent off after the early booking he had a couple of moments later in the 1st half when he may have been booked again,was getting to wound up and were 2 definate cards.did ok though
hawkins 7 had a good game and looked comfortable for a change
richards 7 did well
cox 6 had better games but he battled away
thomson 5 thought he was poor,had chances to move the ball forward in the 2nd half but went backwards and the chance was gone
el abd 7 did ok in midfield and filled in well when down to 10 at the back
johnson not really in the game when out wide but after the sending of got in to the game and did well,held the ball well and got forward when we attacked
forster 6 thankless task in the 2nd half but so nearly teed up the winner for fleetwood with a decent run
murray 6 took his goal well,was he injured?
fleetwood 6 thought he tracked back better and got more involved,should have scored and i think we will see more from him yet

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
he should have really got there but was over in a flash but as usual rm taylor is going over the top i thought he got stuck in more than he usually does and did more today than in 75 mins at stockport

Going over the top with my reaction to missing an open goal from 2 yards out because you didn't stick your foot out?

Try telling that to all the Albion fans who were amazed by what happened then.

Also, I must ask, you put that Richards played well, I thought he was the weak link in the defence and felt uncomfortbale when he was on the ball, also didn't really win much against the right-midfielder of Oldham. I used to think he was rather good but now I realise we need someone else in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here