Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Brentford?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Can't see one yet so here goes...

Ankergren 7 - everything he needed to do he did well - couldn't tell from my angle in the north stand how good the free kick save was, but looked decent.
Painter 6 - a bit quiet going forward but solid defensively and linked up well with LuaLua when required
Calderon 7 - got forward really well, overlapping like last season's Calde, and got stuck in well - him an Bennett are fast becoming telepathic
Elphick 8 - didn't lose a header all night, was always an option to go across the defence or come back from midfield, superb.
El-Abd 8 - equally good but just edged by Elphick for me, took one for the team with the booking, won a lot and looked really composed.
Bennett 8 - creative from set pieces, drifted around looking for the ball, dropped into right back when Calde went on forward runs, excellent game.
LuaLua 7 - pretty anonymous in the first half other than one run and shot but good goal and looked dangerous in the second half even if he tried a little too much and ran into traffic a couple of times.
Kishishev 7 - bossed the midfield first half, never lost the ball, quick little lay-offs, really class act.
Sparrow 6 - did a solid job and tried to get forward but lost the ball a couple of times.
Barnes 7 - put in an epic shift, held the ball up really well, and could have had two had it not been for great saves by the keeper from his volley first half and I think it was him following up Murray's effort in the second half?
Sandaza 6 - got a load of shit from 'supporters' (read: wankers) around me in the North Stand but I thought he did well, he ran himself into the ground with very little service, was marked by their absolute monster centre back and is clearly still not fully fit.

Dicker 6 - did a solid job and looked composed and classy as always.
Murray 7 - made a difference when he came on - him and Barnes look to understand each other well and his shot was brilliantly saved by their keeper.
Bridcutt 6 - a couple of hairy moments straight after coming on where he lost it in stupid areas but settled down and looked comfortable after that.

Forster 5 - who?
Their Keeper 9 - had a blinder, we could have had four, five, six - had it not been for him. Best player on the pitch for either side IMO.
The Ref 5 - broke up play, didn't give us anything all game and seemed determined to be centre of attention fussing over free kicks and where throw-ins were taken from. Tool.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Pretty much agree, maybe bump Painter up to a 7. Dont think Kish was all that tonight, gave the ball away/caught in possession a fair amount but that was quite common tonight. Think maybe 6 is generous for Sparrow.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Casper 7

Calderon - 7
Paintor - 7
Bomber - 8
Elf - 7

Spaz -6
Bennett - 6
Kish - 7
LuaLua - 7

Barnes - 7
Fran - 6

Subs

Bridcutt - 6
Murray - 8
Dicker - 7

May not be entirely fair on Sparrow and Bennett but from where I was in J block I didn't really notice them as much as usual. Fran ran around a bit and had a go....think there is something about him but Murray changed the game. Quality performance from the bench.

I thought in the first half that the Brentford 4 (Bean) was having too much fun in the middle of the park....seemed to quieten him down in the 2nd.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ankegren 6

Calderon 6.5
Painter 6.5
El Abd 8
Elphick 7

Bennett 7
Lua Lua 7
Kish 5.5
Sparrow 6

Barnes 6.5
Sandaza 5.5

Subs:

Murray 7
Dicker 7.5
Bridcutt 7.5

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Ankergren 7

Calde 7
El-Abd 9 MOM
Elphick 7
Painter 7

Bennett 7
Sparrow 6
Kishishev 6
LuaLua 7

Barnes 8
Sandanza 6

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 7
Murray 7

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ankergren 7

Calde 7
El-Abd 8
Elphick 7
Painter 6

Bennett 7
Sparrow 5
Kishishev 6
LuaLua 7

Barnes 7
Sandanza 6

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 7
Murray 7

I'm tired so no explanation but well done Chris Holroyd, 4 goals in 2 games!

This. :albion1:

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Ankergren 7

Calderon 8 - this man is a class act
El-Abd 7 - solidish
Elphick 7 - solidish
Painter 7 - good outlet

Bennett 7 - should swap wings more
Sparrow 5 - not quite on it
Kishishev 6 - class but legs?
Lua Lua 8 - scares em shitless!

Barnes 7 - worked hard
Sandanza 5 - needs to hold it up better

Subs:
Bridcutt 6
Dicker 6
Murray 7

Sep 1, 2010
Ankergren 6

Calde 8
El-Abd 9
Elphick 6
Painter 7

Bennett 6
Sparrow 6
Kishishev 6
LuaLua 7

Barnes 6
Sandanza 5

Subs:

Bridcutt 5
Dicker 6
Murray 7

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Ankergren 6 did what he had to well

Painter 6 Always made himself available and linked up well with Lua-Lua 2nd half
Calderon 7 Always had acres of space in the first half but was rarely found
Elphick 6 Easy night at the office
El-Abd 8 composed on the ball and had Alexander in his pocket all game MOM

Bennett 7 worked hard for the team with his runs to free Calderon up
Kishishev 5 passing was a bit wayward
Sparrow 4 Anonymous
Lua-Lua 7 quiet first half but much better second half and a great strike for the goal

Barnes 6 worked tirelessly but strikers are ultimately judged on ability to convert chances
Sandanza 6 a few nice touches and turns but ran down a few blind alleys.

Subs:
Bridcutt 7 need to get him on a longer contract ASAP
Murray 7 gave us more of an outlet with his aerial ability
Dicker 6 linked up well with Bridcutt and gave a disciplined performance.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Ankergren - 7 - looked comfortable
Calderon - 7 - solid defensively, don't recall them getting in behind him
El-abd - 8 - another good game from him, although his best moment was probably picking up a booking with a vital foul - not often than can be said! Is he banned yet?
Elphick - 7 - A bit sloppy with the ball at times but looked strong defensively
Painter - 6 - the opposite of usual - didn't look confident defensively but was a useful attacking outlet in the second half
Sparrow - 5 - really really quiet. A bit worrying really.
Kishishev - 6 - didn't have the best of games, but is positionally much better than anyone else in our midfield
LuaLua - 7 - deserved his goal for another tireless performance, even after getting groans from the South Stand when he wasn't having much luck with his end product. The Brentford right back won't be sleeping well!
Bennett - 7 - classy at times going forward
Sandaza - 5 - Didn't really look up to match sharpness at all
Barnes - 6 - unlucky with a couple of efforts, definitely should have done better with a couple in the second half though

Murray - 7 - his substitution for me transformed the game as we had something to aim at! Unlucky not to score/set Barnes up twice
Dicker - 6 - some nice passing but didn't get involved too much
Bridcutt - 7 - much improved, some strong tackling although perhaps he could try a little harder to win the ball back when he gives it away!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
El-Abd 9, Benno 8, Murray 8, the rest 7, sparrow and kish 5.5

Ward 2, made a good game of football utter shit to watch by giving free kicks that weren't, fussing over them and then not giving the basic clear as daylight free kicks. Worst referee in the Football League, and I truely hate him.

Their keeper was an inspiration, how he made some of the saves he made i do not know.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Think it took too long to notice that as they had 1 up top and 3 in the middle our passing game wasn't working. When we started playing longer balls for Murray, Barnes & Bennett to flick on and run for we looked much more threatening.

Ankergren 7

Calde 7
El-Abd 8 MOM
Elphick 8
Painter 7

Bennett 7
Sparrow 6
Kishishev 6
Lua Lua 7

Barnes 7
Sandanza 5

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 7
Murray 7

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Ward 2, made a good game of football utter shit to watch by giving free kicks that weren't, fussing over them and then not giving the basic clear as daylight free kicks. Worst referee in the Football League, and I truely hate him.

Their keeper was an inspiration, how he made some of the saves he made i do not know.

This.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I think maybe some people underestimate how much Dicker and Bridcutt changed the game for us. We won back the midfield when they came on, put our foot on the ball when needed and gained control of the match.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren 7
Calderon 7
El-Abd 7
Elphick 6
Painter 7
Bennett 8
Kishishev 5
Sparrow 6
LuaLua 7
Barnes 6
Sandaza 5

Murray 8
Bridcutt 7
Dicker 7

Disappointed by how blunt we were from midfield to attack, massively missed Murray up front and Sandaza did very little. Still working his way up to fitness though, so not written him off just yet. But poor on the night. And so was Kishishev, really disappointing performance in my opinion. And Sparrow was playing far too deep against their 10 man defence.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ankergren 7

Calderon 7
El-Abd 9
Elphick 7
Painter 6

Bennett 7
Sparrow 6
Kishishev 6
LuaLua 7

Barnes 6
Sandanza 6

Subs:

Bridcutt 7
Dicker 7
Murray 7

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know how Ankergren can have so little to do and still fail to inspire any confidence. Too often he left crosses, and was thankful for Brentford's woeful finishing. I noticed a couple of times he tried coming for balls even when they were 20 yards out and at the feet of our players, before he then backtracked. His decision making for whether to come for a ball or not is quite bad. I think he owes a lot to his defence.

Defence were solid as a rock. El Abd and Elphick were dominant, and are on top form at the moment. Calderon made some good runs going forward, so was out of position, but always made the effort to get back and the four of them are really gelling as a unit. Painter was the weakest of the four tonight, but even he was more than adequate.

Midfield seemed to be strangers until the subs. Passes going astray, players making runs and passes hit to where they were. Until the goal I found Lualua frustrating, following on from saturday, Lualua continued to make the wrong decision regarding passing or shooting at the end of his runs. Almost like he has taken Houghtons "score more goals" as some sort of promise and he is determined to score goals for us himself, so he can get in the Newcastle line up. It's all well and good taken shots, but he needs to learn when it is better to pass. Having said that, his runs unsettle defences and even when he looks for most of the game like it's not working for him, he still seems to offer something late on.

Kish and Sparrow didn't have great games, but both have been out of the side so perhaps their understanding was a little rusty, a victim of the changing line ups. Dicker definitely improved the midfield and gave us a little more control. I think Bridcutt's effect was amplified by coming on with Dicker, but I may just be tainting his performance due to one moment of dwelling on the ball and giving it away in a dangerous place.

I think it was too soon to start with Sandaza, he is not fit enough, and he doesn't quite have an understanding with Barnes. They were getting in each others' way, both going for the same ball, etc and it just didn't work. Maybe it can be worked on.

When Murray came on I didn't really see any great moments of skill, or any direct action from him of significance (he missed more headers than he has been, dithered a little too long on the ball in the box, and continues to go down too easily, which at least riles the crowd up and gives the game some spark), but what his presence did bring was a balance and understanding to the forward line, which for me was as big a difference as Dicker coming on. Barnes was unfortunate not to get some more goals today, kept out by some outstanding/lucky goal keeping.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i do find it amusing how so many people give the back 4 and keeper a 6 when they keep clean sheets !

A far as i am concerned a clean sheet gets a straight 7 from me at least and then if they offer more than just defending or having an outstanding game more..

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Ankergren 7 - everything he needed to do he did well - couldn't tell from my angle in the north stand how good the free kick save was, but looked decent.
Elphick 8 - didn't lose a header all night, was always an option to go across the defence or come back from midfield, superb.
El-Abd 8 - equally good but just edged by Elphick for me, took one for the team with the booking, won a lot and looked really composed.
Bennett 8 - creative from set pieces, drifted around looking for the ball, dropped into right back when Calde went on forward runs, excellent game.
Their Keeper 9 - had a blinder, we could have had four, five, six - had it not been for him. Best player on the pitch for either side IMO.

and

From a distance, and without a commentary, I was feeling a bit grumpy at half-time 0-0, and disappointed at 1-0 result ...
BUT
the above quotes quite change the prospects!

Every side bouncing along the bottom is capable of at least one show of resilience and determination at odds with their position, and tonight was Brentford's turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here