Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Brentford?

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Can't see one yet so here goes...

Ankergren 7 - everything he needed to do he did well - couldn't tell from my angle in the north stand how good the free kick save was, but looked decent.
Painter 6 - a bit quiet going forward but solid defensively and linked up well with LuaLua when required
Calderon 7 - got forward really well, overlapping like last season's Calde, and got stuck in well - him an Bennett are fast becoming telepathic
Elphick 8 - didn't lose a header all night, was always an option to go across the defence or come back from midfield, superb.
El-Abd 8 - equally good but just edged by Elphick for me, took one for the team with the booking, won a lot and looked really composed.
Bennett 8 - creative from set pieces, drifted around looking for the ball, dropped into right back when Calde went on forward runs, excellent game.
LuaLua 7 - pretty anonymous in the first half other than one run and shot but good goal and looked dangerous in the second half even if he tried a little too much and ran into traffic a couple of times.
Kishishev 7 - bossed the midfield first half, never lost the ball, quick little lay-offs, really class act.
Sparrow 6 - did a solid job and tried to get forward but lost the ball a couple of times.
Barnes 7 - put in an epic shift, held the ball up really well, and could have had two had it not been for great saves by the keeper from his volley first half and I think it was him following up Murray's effort in the second half?
Sandaza 6 - got a load of shit from 'supporters' (read: wankers) around me in the North Stand but I thought he did well, he ran himself into the ground with very little service, was marked by their absolute monster centre back and is clearly still not fully fit.

Dicker 6 - did a solid job and looked composed and classy as always.
Murray 7 - made a difference when he came on - him and Barnes look to understand each other well and his shot was brilliantly saved by their keeper.
Bridcutt 6 - a couple of hairy moments straight after coming on where he lost it in stupid areas but settled down and looked comfortable after that.

Forster 5 - who?
Their Keeper 9 - had a blinder, we could have had four, five, six - had it not been for him. Best player on the pitch for either side IMO.
The Ref 5 - broke up play, didn't give us anything all game and seemed determined to be centre of attention fussing over free kicks and where throw-ins were taken from. Tool.

Give el-abd, bridcutt, barnes and their keeper more credit and give a harder time to chicken kiev, sparrow and sandaza.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Ankergren 6.5 not much to do but done ok

Calderon 7.5 getting back to his best
El-Abd 9 most improved player in the team great tonight
Elphick 8 great along side el-abd
Painter 7 look steady and good going forward

Bennett 7 poor 1st half lots better in 2nd
Sparrow 6.5 got stuck in and looks to have goals in him
Kishishev 6.5 did the simple things well but looks slow sometimes
LuaLua 7 poor 1st half excellent 2nd half

Barnes 8.5 great effott and great strength he is going to be a great player for us
Sandanza 4 sorry but I thought he was the weak link tonight very poor

Subs:

Bridcutt 6 shaky at first but then did well
Dicker 8 looked class
Murray 7.5 as above and works well with barnes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought that Bennet had one of his poorest games tonight as he tended to sit in the c entre of midfield and didnt make any space. When Dicker and Bridcutt came on that freed him up to go out wide and he played better but overall I was disappointed with his performance.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Thought that Bennet had one of his poorest games tonight as he tended to sit in the c entre of midfield and didnt make any space. When Dicker and Bridcutt came on that freed him up to go out wide and he played better but overall I was disappointed with his performance.

Did you notice the huge amount of space he made for Calderon though?

The thing that freed him up was us scoring.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All 7 except. El Abd and Elphick 8.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Ankergren - 7 - Not much to do, not any hairy moments, solid

Calderon - 8 - Created a lot of space down the right, and didn't do much wrong

Elphick - 7 - Strong, but not really involved that much, good partnership with Adam

El-Abd - 9 - MOM solid as a rock, and his passing and tackling were top notch

Painter - 8 - Brilliant - good passing, looked strong going forward and at the back

Bennett - 7 - Not his best game, but tracked back well enough, and his passing was great as usual

Kishishev - 6 - Looked dodgy at times, and gave the ball away more than anyone else

Sparrow - 6 - Not involved as much as he should be

LuaLua - 8 - Very strong, runs were superb, his goal was great and his defending was class too

Barnes - 8 - First half he was the best player on the pitch, creating space and came close with his shot. Second half wasn't in it as much, but if it wasn't for the good goalkeeping of Brentford's keeper he'd have scored

Sandaza - 6 - Good effort, ran after everything, but some wayward passing at times and should have done better with his chances

Subs
Dicker - 8 - A bit shaky when he first came on, but after that he was very good. His passing was brilliant

Bridcutt - 8 - I thought he was excellent. A lot better than Kish today, and only lost it once, though every other time he passed it very well

Murray - 8 - Changed the game for us up front and really should have scored but for the great 'keeping of the Brentford man

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Ankergren 7

Calde 7
El-Abd 9 MOM
Elphick 8
Painter 7

Bennett 7
Sparrow 5
Kishishev 6
Lua Lua 7

Barnes 7
Sandanza 5

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 8
Murray 7

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ankergren - 7 - Did well with everything he had to do. Distribution excellent
Calderon 7 - Improving
El-Abd 8 - MOM. It's amazing how far he has come on in a year.
Elphick 6 - Defended well but was hit and miss on the ball
Painter 7 - Solid game fromMr Dependable
Bennett 7 - Some good set piece delivery. I'm not sure this system suits him
Sparrow 5 - Quiet - not match fit
Kishishev 6 - Not his best game
LuaLua 7 - An incredibly frustrating player in terms of his decision making, especially in the first half, but improved and took his goal very well.
Barnes 7 - Unlucky not to score. Got in some great positions. Another who is improving
Sandanza 6 - Not match fit. More to come from him

Subs:
Bridcutt 6 - Gave the ball away far too often
Dicker 7 - Didn't impose himself on the game, but his vision made a difference
Murray 7 - Had his nose put out of joint by the decision to drop him to the bench. It worked wonders. Strong, determined and hungry

Better dash, The missus is in labour!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ankergren 7

Calde 7
El-Abd 9 MOM
Elphick 8
Painter 7

Bennett 7
Sparrow 5
Kishishev 6
Lua Lua 7

Barnes 7
Sandanza 5

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 8
Murray 7

Spot on marks.I thought the midfield were a lot better when Dicker came on.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ankergren 7

Calderon 7
El Abd 8
Elphick 7
Painter 7

Bennett 7
Sparrow 6
Kishishev 6
LuaLua 7

Barnes 6
Sandaza 6

Subs:

Bridcutt 6
Dicker 6
Murray 7

Ankergren - 7 - Did well with everything he had to do. Distribution excellent
Calderon 7 - Improving
El-Abd 8 - MOM. It's amazing how far he has come on in a year.
Elphick 6 - Defended well but was hit and miss on the ball
Painter 7 - Solid game fromMr Dependable
Bennett 7 - Some good set piece delivery. I'm not sure this system suits him
Sparrow 5 - Quiet - not match fit
Kishishev 6 - Not his best game
LuaLua 7 - An incredibly frustrating player in terms of his decision making, especially in the first half, but improved and took his goal very well.
Barnes 7 - Unlucky not to score. Got in some great positions. Another who is improving
Sandanza 6 - Not match fit. More to come from him

Subs:
Bridcutt 6 - Gave the ball away far too often
Dicker 7 - Didn't impose himself on the game, but his vision made a difference
Murray 7 - Had his nose put out of joint by the decision to drop him to the bench. It worked wonders. Strong, determined and hungry

Better dash, The missus is in labour!

Defensively fine but still looks like a frightened rabbit in the car headlights to me when he's on the ball, particularly if someone is trying to close him down. I was sitting with Nick Szczepanik from the Independent last night and he commented midway through the second half that Brentford had stopped putting anyone on him at all; presumably because he was likely to cock up the distribution by himself.

Hope everything went OK with Mrs.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Which opened the entire right side for Calderon to do what he wanted with. wasn't until we scored that Poyet said to switch to 4-4-2 and Bennett went wide again.

Some very harsh marking on here

Maybe harsh but certainly based on the first hallf performance very much justified as we were poor to say the least. Brentford weren't great but they did an excellend job of containing and closing down which for long periods we could not deal with.

Ankergren 6 but still doesn't instill confidence

Calderon 7 - mainly for his attacking support
El-Abd 9 - superb display
Elphick 7 - seemed to struggle with few options ahead of him
Painter 6 - not at his best

Bennett 6.5 - too narrow to start with
Sparrow 6 - average performance and not surprised at the sub
Kishishev 6 - ditto
LuaLua 7 - his final 15 minutes were excellent and made the difference

Barnes 7 - he has to convert more chances
Sandanza 4 - lots of coaching needed to bring him up to standard

Subs:

Bridcutt 6 - shaky at first but then did well
Dicker 7 - better than who he replaced but still inclined to overcomplicate matters
Murray 7 - did well and looks to have a good partnership growing with Barnes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which opened the entire right side for Calderon to do what he wanted with. wasn't until we scored that Poyet said to switch to 4-4-2 and Bennett went wide again.

I prefer to see Bennett out wide and then dropping back into to cover Calderon when he bombs forward. I think that is our most effective ploy.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I really don't understand all the comments on Ankergren. What does the guy have to do to get people confident in him? People on here seem to be judging him based on Premier League keepers. He is not perfect in the air but his shot stopping is good and his distribution is improving (there was one fantastic clearance up field to LuaLua which set us away yesterday). Kuipers was never, even at his best, great at coming off his line. If Ankergren was as commanding in the box as some people expect there is no way he would be playing for us so why not give him a break?

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Thought that Bridcut was good when he came on. Not so one dimensional and did at least spread the ball to both sides of the pitch which I felt we werent doing in the first half. And he moved it more quickly. Thought his loss of the ball was due to Elphick giving him the ball when he (Bridcut) was being closed down v quickly and didnt have time to offload it. Pity hes not a bit bigger. And we all see the game differently anyway.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Ankergren is as solid and dependable a keeper since we had joe corrigan. 8

Sandaza 4

El Abd 9

Best game I've seen him play.

Used to think he was a liability at the back and his best position was breaking things down in front of the back four. Not any more.

Handled that brute on Saturday as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here