Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Reading

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Kooshak 8. Great saves, poor kicking
Bruno. 5. From first minute to last looked a liability but also showed flashes of genius
Ward. 7. Wasn't sure about at start of season , now he looks decent
Upson. 6. Think it was him who stood off for the goal
Greer. 5. Shocking pass that led to his first yellow
Andrews. 6. Decent enough today
Jfc. 5. Hate to say it , but I'm not sure jfc has it to succeed at this level
Ince. 6. Not his best game but this lad will play in the premier league
Ulloa. 7. Clearly they were out to get him. Battled hard
David. 5. Enough has been said about him - shadow of last seasons player
Jesse 6. Tidy . Should have been passed to more

Dunk. 7
March. 7
Buckley. 7. Lively but should have scored

You were obviously watching the same game as me. Agree with all of this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think that if Greer wasn't sent off, there would be more complaints about the performance. One shot on target and that came in th 93rd minute. One. Until Reading equalised we didn't really attack, and the promise of those attacks (minus the lack of on-target shot until the very end) was such that it made it more frustrating that we were so defensive from the start. I understand going defensive when you lose a man, but there were 52 minutes where we had 11 v 11 and we still failed to make any sort of promising attack. It wasn't like reading were parking the bus. They conceded early so had to come out and try to get something, yet we just sat back and invited the pressure.

But then Greer was sent off and the whole team seemed to put a lot more effort in, and the last 20mins or so we started to come out and attack, giving a bit more of a positive feel to the end of the game.

Kuszczak 8 - I'm not sure any of his saves would be looked at as spectacular, but they were important, and his strong performance provided confidence
Bruno 7.5 - some lovely interplay with Lopez
Greer 4 - would have been a low mark without the red, seemed a little unaware, not anticipating well, some questionable distribution.
Upson 8 - strong performance
Ward 7 - generally fine, but stood off Drenthe and let him shoot for their goal
Andrews 6.5 - before greer was sent off, he seemed to be constantly on the edge of the action, I could see him on the pitch, but he just stood on the periphery doing nothing, but when we went down to ten, he was a important defensive player geting in a lot of blocks
JFC 6 - Busy, with little positive contribution
Ince 6.5 - a little clumsy in possession (that is, he seemed to struggle to control the ball)
Lopez 7 - seemed a little unfair to me that he got criticised for pulling out of a challenge when the reading player just pushed him over, some lovely balls (ironically, the one that led to the own goal was over hit/lingard's run was misread)
Ulloa 6 - Too busy falling over, yes there were some fouls on him, but not nearly as many as he claimed for, made a meal of the elbow leaving us down to nine men defending
Lingard 7 - Not sure we saw the best of him from an attacking sense (despite his pressre leading to the own goal), but worked hard, and was constantly back to defend

Dunk 6.5 - solid enough
Buckley 6.5 - seemed to work hard, but still seems a little reluctant to really go for it
March - not on long enough, interesting corner.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kuszack 8
Bruno 5.5
Ward 7.5
Upson 7
Greer 5
Andrews 6
JFC 5
Ince 6.5
Ulloa 7
David 5.5
Jesse 6.5

Dunk 6
March 5
Buckley 7

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Kuszack 7.5
Bruno 6.5- Some moments of brilliance, some moments of stupidity.
Ward 6
Upson 7
Greer 6
Andrews 6
JFC 6
Ince 6
Ulloa 6
David 6.5
Linegaard 6 - looks ok but seemed completely unwilling to run at his defender and ran away from the left flank a couple of times when Ward had the ball which seemed odd.

Dunk 5 - Didn't seem to do much apart from giving Blackman a simple opportunity
March 6
Buckley 6.5

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Kusczack - 8
Bruno - 7
Upson - 6
Greer - 5
Ward - 7
Ince - 5
Andrews - 5
JFC - 6
Lopez -6
Lingard - 5
Ulloa - 7

Dunk - 6
Buckley - 7
March - 5

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acker, that was JFC

There were two players that were close to him, one pushed him inside, where the other was. I was pretty sure ward pushed him inside toward JFC, but will look at the high list again.

Edit: just checked, I was wrong. I'll plonk another .5 on ward's score, I think jake's is low enough to not take the extra off him.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There were two players that were clost to him, one pushed him inside, where the other was. I was pretty sure ward pushed him inside toward JFC, but will look at the high list again.

Edit: just checked, I was wrong. I'll plonk another .5 on ward's score, I think jake's is low enough to not take the extra off him.

Biased!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Kusczack - 7
Bruno - 6
Upson - 6
Greer - 5
Ward - 6
Ince - 4
Andrews - 5
Forster-Caskey - 4
Lopez -5
Lingard - 5
Ulloa - 6

Dunk - 6
Buckley - 5
March - 5

A worse than average home performance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was discussing with a mate at the football how Ulloa gets away with often just jogging around and falling over and the fans just accept it. Any other player and he'd get slaughtered. I cannot get my head around all the 6s and 7s he has got on this thread which would suggest he had a decent game, he didn't, he was poor..imo

We may not be playing to his strengths and supporting him well but that doesn't mean he should get a decent score when he's done pretty well nothing all game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I was discussing with a mate at the football how Ulloa gets away with often just jogging around and falling over and the fans just accept it. Any other player and he'd get slaughtered. I cannot get my head around all the 6s and 7s he has got on this thread. 6a and especially a 7 would suggest he had a decent game, he didn't, he was poor..imo

I take 5.5 as being 'average for mid-table championship'... so 6 is hardly setting the world on fire.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I take 5.5 as being 'average for mid-table championship'... so 6 is hardly setting the world on fire.

Contributed less than Lopez for me yet look at the marks he got...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
agreed. even with 11 v 11 I thought they looked a better side

Really? I thought we looked better than them in the first half. I can't remember Top Kat having a save to make, nor them crafting a goalscoring opportunity or attack on our goal that threatened.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that if Greer wasn't sent off, there would be more complaints about the performance. One shot on target and that came in th 93rd minute. One. Until Reading equalised we didn't really attack, and the promise of those attacks (minus the lack of on-target shot until the very end) was such that it made it more frustrating that we were so defensive from the start. I understand going defensive when you lose a man, but there were 52 minutes where we had 11 v 11 and we still failed to make any sort of promising attack. It wasn't like reading were parking the bus. They conceded early so had to come out and try to get something, yet we just sat back and invited the pressure.

But then Greer was sent off and the whole team seemed to put a lot more effort in, and the last 20mins or so we started to come out and attack, giving a bit more of a positive feel to the end of the game.

Kuszczak 8 - I'm not sure any of his saves would be looked at as spectacular, but they were important, and his strong performance provided confidence
Bruno 7.5 - some lovely interplay with Lopez
Greer 4 - would have been a low mark without the red, seemed a little unaware, not anticipating well, some questionable distribution.
Upson 8 - strong performance
Ward 7 - generally fine, but stood off Drenthe and let him shoot for their goal
Andrews 6.5 - before greer was sent off, he seemed to be constantly on the edge of the action, I could see him on the pitch, but he just stood on the periphery doing nothing, but when we went down to ten, he was a important defensive player geting in a lot of blocks
JFC 6 - Busy, with little positive contribution
Ince 6.5 - a little clumsy in possession (that is, he seemed to struggle to control the ball)
Lopez 7 - seemed a little unfair to me that he got criticised for pulling out of a challenge when the reading player just pushed him over, some lovely balls (ironically, the one that led to the own goal was over hit/lingard's run was misread)
Ulloa 6 - Too busy falling over, yes there were some fouls on him, but not nearly as many as he claimed for, made a meal of the elbow leaving us down to nine men defending
Lingard 7 - Not sure we saw the best of him from an attacking sense (despite his pressre leading to the own goal), but worked hard, and was constantly back to defend

Dunk 6.5 - solid enough
Buckley 6.5 - seemed to work hard, but still seems a little reluctant to really go for it
March - not on long enough, interesting corner.

Broadly agree with this, although Acker has been rather generous, especially given your critical eye generally. So all of these scores with 0.5 taken off every player, because I'm developing a mean streak.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Really? I thought we looked better than them in the first half. I can't remember Top Kat having a save to make, nor them crafting a goalscoring opportunity or attack on our goal that threatened.

About a minute into the game we were opened up and a very dangerous cross went in that could quite easily have ended up in the back of the net?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Broadly agree with this, although Acker has been rather generous, especially given your critical eye generally. So all of these scores with 0.5 taken off every player, because I'm developing a mean streak.

I know, I must have been in a good mood, or coloured by the effort of ten men and the positive finish, but yeah, I was being quite generous.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
As someone else surmised elsewhere, I really do think that the view from WSU affords a better appreciation of some of the players than other positions in the ground.

For me JFC had his best game for a long time, covering every blade of grass he could and he really covered for the deficiencies of Ince and Andrews in a positive way. I agree that the initial set up was defensive, but the lack of form of Andrews and Ince exemplified this.

Koosh 8
Bruno 7
Upson 7
Greer 4 (now I have seen the vid)
Ward 6 - got caught a couple of times by the pace of Mccleary.
Andrews 6 - an extra mark for putting his body on the line more than once
Ince - 5 - didn't do anything of note, and his touch, ball control and heading were all surprisingly poor.
JFC - 7 - All over the pitch, really put a shift in
SD - 5 - Didn't compensate for his lack of fight with what he's on the pitch for - creativity
Lingard - 6 - more to come from him I feel
Ulloa - 7 - thought he put a real shift in

Buckley - 6 - lacked confidence
Dunk - 7 - did well under difficult circumstances.
March - 5 - not enough time to make substantial impact

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Kuszczak - 7
Bruno - 7
Upson - 7
Greer - 5
Ward - 7
Ince - 6
Andrews - 5
Forster-Caskey - 6