Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings please

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Dickinson narf goes down easily, considering he's a big fella'. Navarro and Crofts were poop.

Kuipers save :drool:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Kuipers 7 - Outrageously good save from a Parkin header, it was genuinely superb. Savfe of the season, no question. His kicking was good, and he dominated his box.
Whing 7 - Great goal, well guided header and I'm glad he's finally broken his duck. Solid at right back, a few cracking interceptions in the first half, and he looked ok.
Jake Wright 6 - Shaky, stand offish and defensively a little bit suspect on his debut. But it was his debut, so he'll get better and he looked good and composed when on the ball.
Elphick 8 - Stood out for me, solid and reliable, some good tackles and fantastic spacial awareness. Defensively I think we're going to be very good this season, we only conceded to ourselves today remember. Very good performance today.
Virgo 8 - Just as good, his use of the ball was disappointing at times, but defensively he was sound and he dealt out alot of punishment to Parkin, who looked pretty damn good to be fair.
Mark Wright 8 - Encourgaging, attacking and extremely bright. His final ball was criticised by the people around me, but I don't agree on the whole, I thought he played well and certainly looked the best player on the pitch.
Crofts 6 - I don't really think he was needed in the first half, I don't see what he offers in a 5 man midfield, he seems a bit of a Thomson type who is "all action" but rarely involved, too early to judge him properly, but the first impressions aren't good to me.
Navarro 7 - He looked particularly good in the first half, really competitive and strong on the ball. I think he'll prove to be a quality signing, but I would rather have him next to Dicker than anyone else.
Thornhill 6 - Not in the game, showed a few good touches though and certainly he looks a good prospect.
Cox 6 - Not on the ball enough, but very busy in general. Him getting that guy in a headlock and dragging him to the ground is the early highlight of the season! Hilarious moment, and Cox certainly seems to have the drive and direction he didn't have under Micky. He'll be a big player this season.
Dickinson 8 - His touch looked good after a few dodgy early moments, his was strong in the air and held the ball up well. He looks quick and he looks to have a decent shot on him, it's a massive shame we didn't give him any service today.
-Subs-
Forster 6 - Not in the game, but fashioned a couple of chances for himself and showed that he's still extremely dangerous for us and I still think he's got LOADS to offer.
McLeod 3 - What on earth is the point? He is useless, rubbish and dreadful. Up there with Livermore and Hawkins in the unneccessary squad members list.
Murray 6 - 10 minutes? Why? What was he meant to do. Brilliant player, and it's good to see him in an Albion shirt again, though it could be the last time for me. :down: Stay, Murray!

Disappointing result, encouraging performance.

Blimey, a home defeat and 4 8s and 3 7s - what ratings are you going to give when we win?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Blimey, a home defeat and 4 8s and 3 7s - what ratings are you going to give when we win?

We played well in two thirds of the pitch, the attacking needs work, but overall it wasn't a bad performance in the slightest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd disagree with that. Whing got himself in all sort of problems with the goal, and simple communacation from Kuipers would have meant Whing could have left the ball. But Kuipers didn't open his mouth, Whing was caught in no mans land and it was the softest of own goals. So I for one think Kuipers played a big part in the goal.

Regarding the save, it was obviosuly off side, but even so, it was still a cracking save. Shame it don't count:p

Definitely a fantastic reaction save. Flag up or not. No, Kuipers wouldn't have seen the flag out the corner of his eye, he would have been focusing on the ball coming at him.

As for the OG. I'm not sure you can put that on Kuipers lack of communication.

The ball was crossed in and curled outwards, it looked like elphick or virgo (I can't remember which) was going to head it, but he was under pressure from a walsall player and didn't make the contact everyone was expecting him to, this surprised Whing who wasn't expecting the ball to make it through to him.

That's not to say kuipers was flawless, or couldn't have talked a bit more. He had a moment in the second half where he didn't come for a ball he should have, then tried to make up for it by going for a ball he shouldn't have. Fortunately nothing came of either incident.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is this going to be one of your "repeat a point often enough and the slander might stick" points?

He wasn't the best in the air we have seen but he was pretty sound and showed promise. Given that most balls were just lumped forward somewhere near him during the first half I think he did well.

The days must fly by in BG's happy go lucky company. To be fair to Cox, he did assault one of their players trying to win a header in the second half. Or was it the first? It was one of those two. Anyway, he was a fizzing bundle of little man syndrome today (and long may he carry that with him as long as he plays for us)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh, and if Kuipers had known about the flag going up before the save then why not just leave it?

It was classic Kuipers and fair play to him. He's got his faults but he's a fantastic shot stopper.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Absolutely. The flag went up of course, but there was no way either the striker or Michel knew anything about it. Even as Michel's biggest fan I can hold my hands up and admit he's had a shocker on occasions. BG really needs to learn to do the opposite and just give praise when it's deserved.

Bloody hell! What is evreyone one!! First game of the season and we're already having a stupid binfest about.... guess who?

I am not a great fan of Kuipers..... I think Smith hould be the better option and Michel is in the twilight of his career....

... but BG your comments are ridiculous and are embarrassing if you have any proffesional expereince of football.

It really doesn't matter whether Michel saw the flag or not..... when a keep makes a save how does it make what he does harder or easier because he saw or didn't see a flag. As a keeper myself if I had seen the flag and knew it was going to be called I wouldn't have bothered diving... why risk an injury... and if I had dived I would have dive the same way I would as if it was real. If I hadn't seen the flag then it was a genuine attempt eh?

Just stop everyone and think before you binfest or you really come across as children... those of you who rose to the silly bait are just as bad!

Wasn't there and commentators didn't make much noise over the save but most people think it was pretty good so fine. Move on everyone!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kuipers - 6 - Nothing he could do about goal. Nothing else to do...
Whing - 4 - Distribution poor, never head towards your own goal....
Elphick - 7 - Played quite well - dominated
Virgo - 7 - See above
L.Wright - 5 - For me struggled at this level, though I'm sure will improve
Cox - 6 - Didn't do much
Crofts - 5 - fairly annonymous

Navarro - 6 - more industrious than Crofts, but a number of misplaced passes
M.Wright - 6 - Needs more confidence. Again believe he will improve.
Dickinson - 8 - Great first touch, capable aerially.
Thornhill - 4 - Game passed him by. Lacking fitness
Forster - 7 - Worked hard despite lacking full fitness
MacLeod - 5 - Little time to get into the game
Murray - no rating, lack of mins.

Referee - Shocking - 3 - Didn't pick up on time wasting tactics....

Last edited:

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008
Michel 7 - Did nothing wrong all day

Whing 4 - I kid you not I am gutted we did not sell him, his endeavour flattered to deceive last year, he completed pass ratio is poor, his distribution is poor, some times he can defend, cost us so many goals last season and he is off the mark already.
Virgo 6 - ok, normal hoof distribution where he thinks he is hoddle, great defending though
Elphick 6 - solid enough, like virgo poor distribution
Wright 4 - Sorry based on first half is another Whing, on 4 occaisons sttod too far of his man to allow a cross in, hope he learns quick

Wright 8 - Excellent signs for the future
Navarro 4 - I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Crofts -I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Thornhill 4 - I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Cox 4 -A lot of peole think he did alright but non existent for me, he was torn between hogging the touchline and coming into the centre

Dickinson 8 - Best player in first half by a country mile, question is when he has held the ball up the rest of the team do need to join him to make it worthwhile.

I am not too disheartened but wish to see some midfield at some point and two full backs that can do the basics.

PrestGull 0 - Poor spelling, grammar & incorrect facts about Whing. Bad ratings so wonder if he/she was actually there ?

:dunce:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When he does well I will admit so.

No you won't. If that were the case there would be evidence of you praising him before, or are you saying he has never had a good game?

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
Kuipers 6 - Decent game, kicking was initially wayward to Dickinson when only one up front, though that improved, fabulous save when Parkin was flagged off from 6 yards
Wright 6 - Had a nervy start, he was beaten down the wing for the cross that led to the goal. He looked increasingly assured, with good distribution once settled down.
Elphick 7 - Good solid display
Virgo 7 - Good Solid display
Whing 6 - O.G is was a poor mistake, but made several good last ditch clearances and never really allowed Jones into game.
Cox - 6 - Worked hard, worryingly still got very frustrated (and commtiting silly fouls) just before he was subbed
Thornhill - 4- May well of been below full fittness, and may well of looked better in a normal 4 in midfield, but was poor. Would have made a good ref as he always seemed to be 10 yards from ball!
Navarro - 5 - Clearly technichally most able m/f, some good touches, but lacking in full match fitness and had a penchant to give ball away in dangerous situations. Can do better...
Crofts - 6 - Worked hard won ball back often, decent debut.
Wright - 6 - Again a decent debut, though he will only influence the game if we get the ball to him quickly, he wont go getting it for himself.
Dickinson - 7 - Good debut was given a difficult task playing by himself 1st half, much better second when he looked strong and fast with a decent shot. If he can finish, a very good signing.

Forster - 6 - worked hard improved the shape of the team, but missed his main chance unfortunately.
McCleod - 6 - looked to have worked hard over pre-season, apart from one poor cross interventions in match were mostly constructive in attack. Will be a regular used substutute/ challenge for 1st XI on that evidence.
Murray - 5 - To little time to make real impact

All in all first half was poor an we were unlucky in the 2nd not get an equaliser...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Isn't it amazing how opinions can differ on here? I thought he was poor in the air and slow off the mark.

I guess that's what makes it a game of opinions... I would agree it could've looked like that early on as the support was not getting forward and he was trying to hold the ball. Also as the build up was so slow, all passes to him were a bit 'telegraphed'. But from midway throught the first half, I thought he was the pick of our team.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Absolutely. The flag went up of course, but there was no way either the striker or Michel knew anything about it. Even as Michel's biggest fan I can hold my hands up and admit he's had a shocker on occasions. BG really needs to learn to do the opposite and just give praise when it's deserved.

No you don't. I don't think you would ever do that. In fact you tend to find defenders to blame rather than having a go at your beloved Kuipers.

In fairness, yesterday he did nothing wrong and made a good save from the offside header. Looked more comfortable catching than Clayton Ince who had a bit of a nightmare second half and was lucky to get away with it on a few occasions.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It really is about opinion and how you see the game. I thought that Dickinson won a lot in the air but looked pretty slow over the ground. And yet on the phone-in Budge reckoned he was lightning fast and other people on NSC are saying he looked poor in the air.

That's what makes it interesting and I guess over time we'll get a clearer view. I for one was not depressed about yesterdays result.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Kuipers 6 - Decent game, kicking was initially wayward to Dickinson when only one up front, though that improved, fabulous save when Parkin was flagged off from 6 yards
Wright 6 - Had a nervy start, he was beaten down the wing for the cross that led to the goal. He looked increasingly assured, with good distribution once settled down.
Elphick 7 - Good solid display
Virgo 7 - Good Solid display
Whing 6 - O.G is was a poor mistake, but made several good last ditch clearances and never really allowed Jones into game.
Cox - 6 - Worked hard, worryingly still got very frustrated (and commtiting silly fouls) just before he was subbed
Thornhill - 4- May well of been below full fittness, and may well of looked better in a normal 4 in midfield, but was poor. Would have made a good ref as he always seemed to be 10 yards from ball!
Navarro - 5 - Clearly technichally most able m/f, some good touches, but lacking in full match fitness and had a penchant to give ball away in dangerous situations. Can do better...
Crofts - 6 - Worked hard won ball back often, decent debut.
Wright - 6 - Again a decent debut, though he will only influence the game if we get the ball to him quickly, he wont go getting it for himself.
Dickinson - 7 - Good debut was given a difficult task playing by himself 1st half, much better second when he looked strong and fast with a decent shot. If he can finish, a very good signing.

Forster - 6 - worked hard improved the shape of the team, but missed his main chance unfortunately.
McCleod - 6 - looked to have worked hard over pre-season, apart from one poor cross interventions in match were mostly constructive in attack. Will be a regular used substutute/ challenge for 1st XI on that evidence.
Murray - 5 - To little time to make real impact

All in all first half was poor an we were unlucky in the 2nd not get an equaliser...

agree with most of that. except a 7 for wright (m) and a 5 for mclard. midfield struggled a bit, don't know why navarro was picked ahead of dicker as holding midfielder though, he didn't look very fit.

struggled to get things going first half becuase there was a huge gap between the back 4 and navarro, and then the other midfielders and the forwards who were pushed right up the pitch. was that tactical or did the midfielders not fancy dropping back to pick up possession? didn't really work whatever the reason. better second half as we were able to get cox and wright on the ball a bit more.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
And if Elphick had volleyed the ball into the back of the next from 80 yards in the first minute, it would still be the goal of the season. Brilliance can happen at any time.

But if that goal is ruled out for an offside or infringement would it still be the goal of the season? Of course not. It was great reactions from Kuipers, but as the player was offside it can't go down as a save I'm afraid. Walsall won the game yesterday without a single shot on target.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Kuipers 7, Didnt have much to do, kicking good, one superb reflex save, no chance with goal, still think he dosnt install confidence in his defence.

Whing 6, Average.
Virgo 6, Looked soild enough, some good tackles, would like to see him a bit more vocal.
Elphick 6, Solid performance, had at least three good headers from corners at goal and really should have made the keeper work, with at least a couple of them.
J.Wright 4, Looked the weak link at the back, got done on several occasions including the cross that lead to goal, got a bit better as game went on and just hope it was nerves that done for him on the day.

M.Wright 6,Didnt show much first half but then nobody did, done enough second half to get excited about, looked good taking people on.His corners leave a bit to be desired though, as didnt clear first man very often.
Crofts 6, Didnt do much, but then didnt do much wrong either, personally i think there is a lot more to come from him.
Navarro 7, Very tidy player, looks a soild holding midfielder and would have been my mom was it not for one very sloppy moment, near end that could have cost us dear, forgive him that on this ocassion but on another day would have been punnished badly.
Thornhill 4, Poor, very poor, if he was carrying a knock then why play him, looked disinterested and didnt contribute anything, he is a loan player and that is exactly what he looked.
Cox 5, Expected more to be honest, he can hurt teams with the ball at his feet and i think he has a lot to offer team, but didnt do it for me yesterday.

Dickinson 8, Good feet for a big man, almost pulled a rabbitt out off hat with quick thinking and almost provided Forster with a good cross.Looks better with a partner as opposed to loan striker.Good things to come i think..(MOM)

Forster 7, Should have come on after 30 mins for me for Thornhill, looked different team with him on and was one of the few i could hear from the stand.Almost nicked a glancing hearder.
McLoed 6, Takes a better corner than Wright, well he did yesterday, but not really on for long enough to judge.
Murray 4, Disinterested, looked like he wants away and as far as im conserned the quicker the better, we dont want passingers in team, i wouldnt even put him on bench.

4-5-1...Didnt work, should have gone 4-4-2 after 30 mins when this was clear, Navaro sitting deep, meant they actually had a extra man than us in last two thirds of park effectively and we couldnt get through.Much better second half when we went like for like and deserved at least a draw.Saw enough second half to not get to worried after just one game.

Team score 6.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But if that goal is ruled out for an offside or infringement would it still be the goal of the season? Of course not. It was great reactions from Kuipers, but as the player was offside it can't go down as a save I'm afraid. Walsall won the game yesterday without a single shot on target.

At long last somebody on here talking sense:thumbsup:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm a bit late on this one but here goes...

Kuipers 7/10 - Made some important catches and the save he made in the second half, despite the player being off side, was top drawer.

Whing 4/10 - Again, too wasteful in posession, continually gets caught out of position and is too slow. Great own goal though...Should be told that he didn't sign for Walsall in the summer!

Elphick 6/10 - Worked well with Virgo and was untroubled most of the game

Virgo 6/10 - Again, as with Elphick worked hard and had little to do especially in the 2nd half.

J Wright 6/10 - Pleasantly surprised. Thought he would look out of his depth, but done well considering he's been playing Conference football.

M Wright 8/10 - Our best player when he finally started receiving the ball. Good crosses and good bit of pace. Looked as though he would cause problems every time he picked up the ball.

Crofts - 5/10 - Looked a bit out of sorts. Difficult to distinguish in a packed midfield.

Navarro - 7/10 - The pick of the central midfielders. Held the ball up really well, always looking to create space and not afraid to make his presence known.

Thornhill - 5/10 - Again, looked a bit short of match practice. Too early to tell if he'll be a good signing.

Cox - 6/10 - Battled hard and ran around alot without creating too much by way of chances for Dickinson. Still being played out of position as he should be behind the forward line and is wasted on the wing.

Dickinson - 8/10 - VERY impressed. His off the ball movement was the best I've seen from an Albion forward since Zamora was with us. His hold up play was superb and he run his socks off in the first half as the lone striker. Found more space when Forster came on and I think he will get us goals this year.

Forster - 8/10 - If Slade ever needed proof of what a true professional Forster is, then today was that. A constant handful for Walsall and partnered Dickinson really well up front.

Murray - 5/10 - IMHO shouldn't be in the squad if he doesn't want to play for us. That said, did nothing wrong in the short time he was on.

McLeod - 5/10 - Unless his fitness improves, he'll be nothing but a bit part player this year. So much potential and should be really challenging Cox for the left wing position this season.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the performance today against a team who we rarely do well against. I think that once the team settles down and everyone is fully fit, then we will cause alot of teams problems.

The only concern I have is that we looked short of ideas when we were at 4-5-1 and the midfield was too packed and there was little movement by Thornhill & Crofts who needed to get ahead of Dickinson to create chances but were sadly too deep. We looked alot more comfortable in the 4-4-2 as we were able to penetrate the wings against 2 tired full backs.

We missed Dicker yesterday and a fully fit Nicky Forster would have made a difference in the first half.

That said, it'd be interesting to see how we fare against Swansea using the same formation on Tuesday night as the midfielders will probably find more space against a team who want to attack and get forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here