Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings please

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It really is about opinion and how you see the game. I thought that Dickinson won a lot in the air but looked pretty slow over the ground. And yet on the phone-in Budge reckoned he was lightning fast and other people on NSC are saying he looked poor in the air.

That's what makes it interesting and I guess over time we'll get a clearer view. I for one was not depressed about yesterdays result.

I thought he won enough of the high balls, he just didn't get a lot of direction on them. Is winning them enough to be good in the air?

In the second half in particular he did show some pace, or perhaps his long legs simply gave him bigger strides. Perhaps a couple of quick runs made it seem to Byrne like he was fast over the whole game

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I hope all these ratings are based on the last 55 minutes, because we didnt turn up for the first 35.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Kuipers 6 : Didn't have a lot to do

Whing 5 : Poor for the goal and a few too many hoofs for my liking. Some good moments as well.

Virgo 6 : Good in defence but seemed to freeze whenever he was in possession of the ball, leading to either a hoof or loss of possession some of the time.

Elphick 6 : Solid enough, but like Virgo hoofed a bit too much, especially first half.

J Wright 5 : Took him a while to find his feet, did a good Paul Watson running backwards impression. Got better in the second half and linked up with Cox, I'm sure he will become a decent player for us.

M Wright 7 : Some good runs, put in literally a few good crosses, if he can make that part of his game more consistent then we have a player on our hands. Skillful and pacy.

Navarro 6 : Was impressed with him in the first half, played the simple ball effectively. Became a bit kamikaze in the second half as he went careering over to the north stand and backheeled straight to Sam Parkin. Not sure if he is the answer, because based on last season, Dicker is more effective in that role.

Crofts 5 : Was very committed and worked hard. Did something which I haven't seen since the days of Paul Rogers - made late runs into the box from midfield. If we utilise this he may get a few goals for us.

Thornhill 4 : Didn't even notice he was playing until about 30 mins in. Possibly down to lack of match practice/fitness. Too early to write him off.

Cox 5 : Should have done better, once again tried to cut in a bit too often. Crossing was poor too.

Dickinson 7 : Didn't do a lot in the first half, but was influential in the second. Great cross for Forster, fantastic shot from distance, frequently outpaced defenders from a losing position. I really hope he keeps this up, as on the basis of today he is a more complete striker than any others at the club barring Forster.

Subs :

Forster 7 : Should start up front with Dickinson, I think it could be a great partnership. Really should have scored from a cracking cross with the header. The difference he made to the performance in the second half shows how important he is to our team. People suggesting he will be a super sub this year are talking out of their arse, his role is infinitely bigger than that.

McLeod 4 : Was a bit disappointed today, but I am convinced he is a talented footballer and will be decent for us this season.

Murray 4 : Wasn't as lazy as everyone is making out, put himself about a bit I thought. Wasn't on long enough to do anything really.

Slade 6 : Was right to change things at half time, even with wingers 4-5-1 at home is a bit negative IMO.

My team for Brentford would be : Kuipers; Whing, Elph, Virgo, J Wright; M Wright, Dicker, Crofts, Cox; Dickinson, Forster.

Possibly a bit harsh on Navarro, but I thought Crofts had greater potential going forward and we missed Dicker's energy a bit in the middle.

Last edited:

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
From my write up in Brighton vs Walsall match thread comments -

Kuipers 7 - usual Kuipers, steady
Whing 5 - Not look at his best but is first game
J.Wright 6 - looked tidy player and confident on ball, yes made a mistake by not closing down enough for cross on goal but did play for crappy Crawley last year so expect to make a few errors in game but a good debut.
Elphick 7 - Poor passing put midfielders under pressure sometimes with playing the wrong ball, but played well defensively
Virgo 7 - Solid
Cox 5 - drifted into middle to often and therefore didnt offer option on wing and with his lack of height should avoid going into middle.
Wright 7 - nearly a 8 but poor set pieces and lack of involvement in first half.
Navarro 7 - best of midfield players - but just a tidy up man, do we really need this at home vs a average side ?
Crofts 6 - Average, didnt look ready for this start and not really a danger either, i hope doesnt start to often as no way we will get into playoffs with a central midfielder like him playing 30 plus starts, good squad player but not regular starter please
Thornhill 5 - offered nothing - very disappointing.
Dickinson 8 (Man of match)- Felt sorry for in first half, low on confidence and told to play up front on own with no support, but 2nd half made 2 chances on his own, with some support eg 4-4-2 will be a big player for us. - should never taken off
Subs
Mcleod - 5 - poor crossing - something about this guy just doesnt perform when plays at Withdean but i do believe he has natural talent and could be a big player for us
Murray 4 - Get rid of, obviousally doesnt want to be here so lets move on
Forster 7 - Very good game and obviousally still going to be a big player for us this season

Slade 5 - poor tactics in first half which i think is reason we lost the game.
Potential of signings - 7 - i think over time could be good but still need a attacking midfielder who likes to play through balls to centre forwards

Ps wasps - 9 - they put in a awesome performance causing problems all game.

mh369

Mar 4, 2009
London
kuipers 7
whing 6
virgo 6
elphick 6
j. wright 5
crofts 5
thornill 4
navarro 4
m.wright 7
cox 6
dickinson 66

fozza 6
murray 5
mcleaod 4

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Dicksinson MOM

Central midfield - 4 - come and bloody collect the ball quicker.
Wingers - 7 - some good stuff especially Wright

Defence - 7 - Whing has to improve his passing, but apart from the OG they were pretty solid

Kuipers - 6 - had nothing to do bar pick the ball out the net so difficult to give a mark to

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Kuipers 6 : Didn't have a lot to do

Whing 5 : Poor for the goal and a few too many hoofs for my liking. Some good moments as well.

Virgo 6 : Good in defence but seemed to freeze whenever he was in possession of the ball, leading to either a hoof or loss of possession some of the time.

Elphick 6 : Solid enough, but like Virgo hoofed a bit too much, especially first half.

J Wright 5 : Took him a while to find his feet, did a good Paul Watson running backwards impression. Got better in the second half and linked up with Cox, I'm sure he will become a decent player for us.

M Wright 7 : Some good runs, put in literally a few good crosses, if he can make that part of his game more consistent then we have a player on our hands. Skillful and pacy.

Navarro 6 : Was impressed with him in the first half, played the simple ball effectively. Became a bit kamikaze in the second half as he went careering over to the north stand and backheeled straight to Sam Parkin. Not sure if he is the answer, because based on last season, Dicker is more effective in that role.

Crofts 5 : Was very committed and worked hard. Did something which I haven't seen since the days of Paul Rogers - made late runs into the box from midfield. If we utilise this he may get a few goals for us.

Thornhill 4 : Didn't even notice he was playing until about 30 mins in. Possibly down to lack of match practice/fitness. Too early to write him off.

Cox 5 : Should have done better, once again tried to cut in a bit too often. Crossing was poor too.

Dickinson 7 : Didn't do a lot in the first half, but was influential in the second. Great cross for Forster, fantastic shot from distance, frequently outpaced defenders from a losing position. I really hope he keeps this up, as on the basis of today he is a more complete striker than any others at the club barring Forster.

Subs :

Forster 7 : Should start up front with Dickinson, I think it could be a great partnership. Really should have scored from a cracking cross with the header. The difference he made to the performance in the second half shows how important he is to our team. People suggesting he will be a super sub this year are talking out of their arse, his role is infinitely bigger than that.

McLeod 4 : Was a bit disappointed today, but I am convinced he is a talented footballer and will be decent for us this season.

Murray 4 : Wasn't as lazy as everyone is making out, put himself about a bit I thought. Wasn't on long enough to do anything really.

Slade 6 : Was right to change things at half time, even with wingers 4-5-1 at home is a bit negative IMO.

My team for Brentford would be : Kuipers; Whing, Elph, Virgo, J Wright; M Wright, Dicker, Crofts, Cox; Dickinson, Forster.

Possibly a bit harsh on Navarro, but I thought Crofts had greater potential going forward and we missed Dicker's energy a bit in the middle.

Pretty much agree with that although would have given Coxy a 6 or 7. I thought he was the only reasonable player for us in the first half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here