Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolutely. The flag went up of course, but there was no way either the striker or Michel knew anything about it. Even as Michel's biggest fan I can hold my hands up and admit he's had a shocker on occasions. BG really needs to learn to do the opposite and just give praise when it's deserved.

When he does well I will admit so, but today was a nothing game for him as he had nothing to do and yes his kicking was a vast improvement I dont think that one kick was misplaced. If we saw the lag go up that is not just me but others, I am sure that he must have had an idea that it had.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
When he does well I will admit so, but today was a nothing game for him as he had nothing to do and yes his kicking was a vast improvement I dont think that one kick was misplaced. If we saw the lag go up that is not just me but others, I am sure that he must have had an idea that it had.

So he didn't missplace any kicks? i guess he must have aimed for Cox then instead of Dickinson.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
And if Elphick had volleyed the ball into the back of the next from 80 yards in the first minute, it would still be the goal of the season. Brilliance can happen at any time.

Not really. I can guarantee that there will be a better save this season. Admittedly I weren't there to see it, but I bet there will be a better one. And also there is no way you can say its the best save of the season, without seeing all possible candidates.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not really. I can guarantee that there will be a better save this season. Admittedly I weren't there to see it, but I bet there will be a better one. And also there is no way you can say its the best save of the season, without seeing all possible candidates.

Ah ok, no problem then. I don't even know why you got involved in the thread actually, you may well have been as blown away by the save as I was. Hopefully it's not save of the season, obviously I hope he makes miracle saves in every game. But realistically, that's as good as I've seen for years.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Ah ok, no problem then. I don't even know why you got involved in the thread actually, you may well have been as blown away by the save as I was. Hopefully it's not save of the season, obviously I hope he makes miracle saves in every game. But realistically, that's as good as I've seen for years.

Look, I'm not saying that it weren't a great save, I'm sure it was. Just I don't know how you could say its save of the season, after one game.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Kuipers 7
Whing 6 (loses 1 for og)
J.Wright 6
Virgo 6
Elphick 6
M.Wright 7
Navarro 6
Thornhill 5
Crofts 5(1st half, 6 2nd)
Cox 6
Dickinson 5(same as Crofts)
Subs.
Forster 6
McLeod 6
Murray 6

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
A few observations..

Nicky Forster made the difference for us yet again, if he was fit enough to be on the bench then why on earth didn't he start?

Alan Navarro had a good debut imo other than a couple of high-profile errors which could've been costly but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to lack of match-practice.

Liam Dickinson looked alert, was shocked by his pace for such a tall lad - could be another 08/09 Davies or could be 20+ goals a season... or just somewhere inbetween!

Crofts did absolutely nothing, Whing had a bit of a howler and Murray just didn't look interested when he came on.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Michel 7 - Did nothing wrong all day

Whing 4 - I kid you not I am gutted we did not sell him, his endeavour flattered to deceive last year, he completed pass ratio is poor, his distribution is poor, some times he can defend, cost us so many goals last season and he is off the mark already.
Virgo 6 - ok, normal hoof distribution where he thinks he is hoddle, great defending though
Elphick 6 - solid enough, like virgo poor distribution
Wright 4 - Sorry based on first half is another Whing, on 4 occaisons sttod too far of his man to allow a cross in, hope he learns quick

Wright 8 - Excellent signs for the future
Navarro 4 - I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Crofts -I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Thornhill 4 - I could distinguish between our midfield especially in the centre, all non existent
Cox 4 -A lot of peole think he did alright but non existent for me, he was torn between hogging the touchline and coming into the centre

Dickinson 8 - Best player in first half by a country mile, question is when he has held the ball up the rest of the team do need to join him to make it worthwhile.

I am not too disheartened but wish to see some midfield at some point and two full backs that can do the basics.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
More chance of Cox winning the ball in the air!

Is this going to be one of your "repeat a point often enough and the slander might stick" points?

He wasn't the best in the air we have seen but he was pretty sound and showed promise. Given that most balls were just lumped forward somewhere near him during the first half I think he did well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably expect too much of a 6ft 4 in central striker that he should be able to win the occassional ball in the air. However it is now very obvious that he is not very good in the air but to his credit he showed good skill on the ground and 'killed' the ball very effectively. We must play to his strengths and not lump long high balls in the hope that he will win some. He looked very good when Forster came on and made space for him by taking other defenders out of the middle. It is just that unlike other seasons we must quickly learn to play to his strengths rather than try to get him to adapt to an alien pattern of play.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It was an automatic reaction save that wouldnt have counted had he not got it and he would have seen the flag go up out of the corner of his eye. As regards being No 1 he had no chance to show that today as he didnt have one single save to make of any consequence. In fairness he couldnt do anything to stop the goal.
I'd disagree with that. Whing got himself in all sort of problems with the goal, and simple communacation from Kuipers would have meant Whing could have left the ball. But Kuipers didn't open his mouth, Whing was caught in no mans land and it was the softest of own goals. So I for one think Kuipers played a big part in the goal.

Regarding the save, it was obviosuly off side, but even so, it was still a cracking save. Shame it don't count:p

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Kuipers 8

Whing 3
Virgo 6
Elphick 8
Wright 7

Wright 7
Navarro 4
Crofts 4
Thornhill 3
Cox 5

Dickinson 7

Subs:

Forster 7
Murray 6
McLeod 5
I'd go with that, except Virgo 5, Cox 6 and Kuipers 5. Seriously Kuipers joint MOM:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: He didnt have a save to make!!!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I'd go with that, except Virgo 5, Cox 6 and Kuipers 5. Seriously Kuipers joint MOM:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: He didnt have a save to make!!!

He tipped that one onto the bar at point blank (whistle gone or not) second half, his kicking was immense, maybe eight is a bit high but he still scored no lower than a seven on my scorecard, on second reflection.

Elphick was quietly brilliant, I usually groan when central defenders try to dribble out of their own penalty area with a man on, Elphick does it without me batting an eye. Class.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Absolute bollocks, how dare you. Michel did NOT know the flag was up, how could he? He saw the ball flying toward his goal from a very good header by the ever annoying Parkin, and he reacted BRILLIANTLY the turn it onto the bar. That, ladies and gents, is why Michel Kuipers is still our #1. Forget the fact it was offside, it was an amazing save, fact.

Aye, was a brilliant save.

Incidently, I saw Whingy in The Sportsman after the game and he admitted he'd had a bit of a 'mare this afternoon. He made some good interceptions, though, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him. Little rusty, perhaps, but he'll be back into 120% mode very soon, i'm sure ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here