Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings Brighton vs Brentford

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great all round performance. Everyone scored at least 7, difficult to pick a MOM. Didn’t miss Bissouma or Duffy as much as I thought we might. We even had a few shots from outside the box! Really glad that I went.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sure, you miss out on some off-ball movement by watching it on TV but it still enough to get a fair picture of what is happening. In any given stadium there is also a shitload of seats where you dont get the same overview as from a TV camera.

I’d like to meet you swansman, hopefully you can get here for a game, you are genuinely the most interesting (bizarre) person on this website.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to put a word in for Moder as I think he does more for the team than people appreciate. 1st half he got the assist for Maupay, 2nd half he worked with Cucurella to negate Brentford's threat down our left. Throughout, he worked hard and looked to get forward in support, and this with just the two CBs behind him. A decent 7 from me.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Sanchez 8

Lamptey 7
Burn 7
Webster 7
Cucurella 8 MoM

Mwepu 8
Lallana 7
Moder 8
Mac Allister 7

Trossard 7
Maupay 8

Welbeck looked good when he came on, held the ball up well, looked a tad hesitant but understandable as he must be desperate to stay fit.

Much better performance today on the whole. I have to doff my cap to Mr Sanchez, I was doubting him after some sub-par performances this season but he was great today, bar that one weird pass into touch in the first half. Two world class saves and much better distribution. We'd have dropped a point today if we had a lesser keeper. But MoM marginally goes to Cucurella in my book. The goal line clearance, the defensive work rate and his natural ability to look forward every time he got the ball were really impressive. He is like a disciplined and more talented El Galgo, with, dare I say it, even better hair.

Moder was much better today as well and, despite a sloppy start, what a difference it made having Mac Allister on set plays.

Mwepu is a proper enigma, seems everything he does is either genius or atrocious. He is a very different player to Bissouma but the rawness of his ability reminds me of Yves' first season with us. He'll be a gem after a full season playing in the PL.

Beating them without Dunk and Biss is a great achievement and should be treated as such. Onwards and upwards from here I hope.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
From the TV

Sanchez - 8 - Immense - His most complete performance. two incredible saves, a couple of crucial claims a punch and that Pass to Cucu in the first half!!
Lamptey - 7 Solid. Did the job he was asked to superbly, negated his normal game, but was happy to be a defender first and foremost.
Webster - 7 No rickets and showed what a fine defender he is- not bad for his first game back.
Burn - 7 - Decent performance - not sure how anyone could give him MotM though! Bizarre choice.
Cucurella - 8.5 MotM Superb in all areas. the goalline clearance was superb. Wins way more aerial duels than he should. Some player.
Lallana - 8 - Some poor passing at tiimes, but overall managed the midfield superbly. Lucky to have him.
Mwepu - 7 A mixed bag but the assist was class. (though not as good as the finish). Considering this is his first season in the Prem, he looks to be a superb addition to the squad.
MacAllister - 7 Did well enough, but did nothing to stake a claim for more minutes.
Trossard - 8 What a goal! Great forward play through out the first half. Saving him and giving DW minutes was very sensible.
Moder - 7.5 Decent performance again. Worked hard. Popped up all ove rthe place. If Potter can work his magic on him, he will be some player for us over the next couple of seasons.
Maupay - 8 Superb strike and immense performance overall. I liked his interview afterwards, you can tell that Potter has been working with him on his mentality and it's reaping big rewards.
Welbeck - 6.5 Great to see him back, looked in decent nick, all things considered.
Gross - N/A
Alzate - N/A

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sanchez 8

Lamptey 7
Burn 7
Webster 7
Cucurella 8 MoM

Mwepu 8
Lallana 7
Moder 8
Mac Allister 7

Trossard 7
Maupay 8

Welbeck looked good when he came on, held the ball up well, looked a tad hesitant but understandable as he must be desperate to stay fit.

Much better performance today on the whole. I have to doff my cap to Mr Sanchez, I was doubting him after some sub-par performances this season but he was great today, bar that one weird pass into touch in the first half. Two world class saves and much better distribution. We'd have dropped a point today if we had a lesser keeper. But MoM marginally goes to Cucurella in my book. The goal line clearance, the defensive work rate and his natural ability to look forward every time he got the ball were really impressive. He is like a disciplined and more talented El Galgo, with, dare I say it, even better hair.

Moder was much better today as well and, despite a sloppy start, what a difference it made having Mac Allister on set plays.

Mwepu is a proper enigma, seems everything he does is either genius or atrocious. He is a very different player to Bissouma but the rawness of his ability reminds me of Yves' first season with us. He'll be a gem after a full season playing in the PL.

Beating them without Dunk and Biss is a great achievement and should be treated as such. Onwards and upwards from here I hope.

Good post

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd like to put a word in for Moder as I think he does more for the team than people appreciate. 1st half he got the assist for Maupay, 2nd half he worked with Cucurella to negate Brentford's threat down our left. Throughout, he worked hard and looked to get forward in support, and this with just the two CBs behind him. A decent 7 from me.

Agreed. There's a debate on here about the benefits of being there versus watching on TV (in Sweden). The most notable thing from inside the stadium I noticed last night was the work rate of Moder (ditto Mwepu). He just keeps on going. I'd be interested to see the distance he covered -- and in recent games. Moder's also quick. We now have a fair few players in our squad that are a lot swifter than most fans give credit for. Trossard demonstrated that on a few occasions too.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Agreed. There's a debate on here about the benefits of being there versus watching on TV (in Sweden). The most notable thing from inside the stadium I noticed last night was the work rate of Moder (ditto Mwepu). He just keeps on going. I'd be interested to see the distance he covered -- and in recent games. Moder's also quick. We now have a fair few players in our squad that are a lot swifter than most fans give credit for. Trossard demonstrated that on a few occasions too.
Agree with both of you, and I'm surprised Mac Allister is being marked down by some as well.

In fact I think the difference tonight was largely due to the mobility of our midfield 3 ahead of Lallana, incredible work rate from each of them - they were popping up everywhere - in defence, on the wings when needed. Nice to see they weren't afraid to carry the ball forward through midfield, we don't get that from Gross or Lallana (when Bissouma is playing the defensive role) and therefore often rely too much on wing play.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought same about Moder, he was pretty pony tonight. Seems to be great in flashes, but not consistently good yet.

Yes, if not for the assist, it would have been a ‘5’.

Well below the level of everyone else for me. I think he’d be better more central. Not disagreeing about his work rate, but his tackling is a very poor, and often loses 50/50 challenges. Thought he was positionally good in terms of pressing, but his decision making is not great.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with both of you, and I'm surprised Mac Allister is being marked down by some as well.

In fact I think the difference tonight was largely due to the mobility of our midfield 3 ahead of Lallana, incredible work rate from each of them - they were popping up everywhere - in defence, on the wings when needed. Nice to see they weren't afraid to carry the ball forward through midfield, we don't get that from Gross or Lallana (when Bissouma is playing the defensive role) and therefore often rely too much on wing play.

Argie Jocko gets marked down because:-

You can't watch all the players all the time!

As for Moder, got a lot of time for the lad, esp as he doesn't seem to play the exact same position from one game to the next.
Sometimes from one half to t'other, that can't be easy.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think it was hard to fault anyone yesterday. No one had a bad game. I like Mac and Moder together, they were both strong and dare I say that actually Biss was not missed. I predict Mwepu will be our best player in a year's time.

And a bit like the Watford and Leicester wins I think the second half performance wasn't bad, just not as strong as first half. We defended well, got a bit of luck and Sanchez made two great saves.
Special mention to Burn who I thought had his best game as a straight up centre half.

I think Trossard was a big miss second half as he makes runs and creates space, but was good to give Welbeck some game time.

So overall 7s and 8s to all.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And the other thing was that we played positive attacking football with very little of the damn dithering around at the back which infuriates so many fans. It actually looked like we wanted to go out and win the game. What a refreshing change.

What we were served up today was entertainment. That's what I pay for.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can’t really score the players if your not in attendance - all you get is what the tv cameras show you - do that means 60% can’t score as hardly anyone was there

I'm convinced that my being there and watching his movement and vision was the reason that only I, it seemed, thought that Ali J was a very good player.

:facepalm:

I agee with Swanny (except I think BDB did muff one pass and I'd give him a 7).

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

This. Moder is I think underappreciated because he often goes under the radar. He can also play different roles equally well.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Everyone gets an 8 from me.

Luckily Brentford came to play football and fair play to them for that but it played into our hands allowing us to do what we train for, well apart from a couple of amazing finishes. We were drilled well and maintained good shape with rare pace. Gotta love a ball over the top now and then.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good team performance, Mwepu could well become a monster, looking better every game. Good to see Webster back, and Maupay was excellent.

Just me for Big Bob, MOTM then ???

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Mwepu is a curious player, he’s either Yaya Toure or Rohan Ince, very little middle ground.

There were a few things yesterday where I was annoyed with him due to his positioning and pressing but these are becoming fewer. As I said against Liverpool, he seems to benefit from more open games where there are fewer opposition midfielders but there are still a number of weaknesses. Last night was another one of those games where he prospered due to Brentford's directness. Lots of aerial balls and therefore a greater number of second balls which in term lead to a less structured game.

Where teams have established patterns of play or sit deeper, his positioning becomes a more obvious issue. I think of Newcastle as a game that passed him by more recently.

I think this is why it feels a bit inconsistent but when he's in the right part of the pitch with some time on the ball and his head up, he can contribute defensively and produce quality like the pass yesterday. If we do lose Biss, I'm happy that we have some answers in our midfield.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Mwepu is a curious player, he’s either Yaya Toure or Rohan Ince, very little middle ground.

Is Rohan Ince now the benchmark for badness? I remember him holding us together!
That fat Dutch guy we got from Swansea. Now he was shite…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here