Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Rating Albion V Millwall

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have expectations really fallen so low that a home game against a rubbish team in which we don't create a single thing, gift a goal away and lose is met with 7/10s all over the shop and heaps of praise? You must be uncontrollable on the odd occasion we actually win a game!

He only gave three of them for goodness sakes!!

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Dunno why people are calling for Dickinson to replace Forster he's equally as bad or worse a finisher then Craig Davies. The three one-on-ones I've witnessed Dickinson in( 1x away at Norwich, 2x away at Swindon)he has missed the target on each occasion. Forster might be a little fatigued due to the exertions mid-week and should definitely start alongside Murray at Orient.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ah - I wasn't the only one who was actually there.:wave:

Nov 13, 2009
Navarro had a great first half and Calderon stood out. Kuipers made a couple of good saves. Other than them no one stood out. Millwall really didn't have very much and we gifted them the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All the 3/4/5s above are just for dramatic effect, surely. ???

Painter 6 - He was decent,
Virgo 6 - he was good
Murray 6 - Crap today. :down: Truly dreadful.
Holroyd 6 - Didn't really touch the ball, and didn't show up at all.

What a spastic.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Most of these ratings are too generous for a side that has played disappointingly at home for the 13th successive match. At this rate, I can see us going through the whole season without one truly creditable home performance.
I see the apologists are out in force for Virgo..." he played well apart from the error " etc....well that unforgiveable schoolboy error, in a tight game, where it was vital we got something, has cost us a valuable point, that would have kept the unbeaten run going.
Badger is right...we are making excuses for on-going below par performances at home. And for those who think Poyet has made a significant difference, I list his home record to date.....
Played 5 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 4 ( impressive...eh.! )

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
I'm with the "glass half full" mob. Apart from Virgo's mad moment and Elphick getting himself booked after two and a half minutes for trying to kick chunks out of a Millwall player who was sitting on the ground, it looked a decent performance from the North stand. The first ten minutes were, as usual, dire but thereafter we were the only team in the game. The two Millwall chances at the end came when we were chasing - until then, they didn't look threatening (apart from the lightening quick Shaun Batt who ran so fast that he once overtook the ball he was dribbling...)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Subs;
Cox 6 - A couple of class passes but alot of wasted ones aswell.
Dickinson 6 - Got stuck in but never threatened to score, but he didn't get service either.
Holroyd 6 - Didn't really touch the ball, and didn't show up at all.

:facepalm:
Dicko was getting loads of service, holroyd was the one not getting any, holroyd was in all the right positions but those balls werent quite finding him, one dicko flick on saw him come agonisingly close to having the ball at his feet and only the keeper between him and he goal

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Most of these ratings are too generous for a side that has played disappointingly at home for the 13th successive match. At this rate, I can see us going through the whole season without one truly creditable home performance.
I see the apologists are out in force for Virgo..." he played well apart from the error " etc....well that unforgiveable schoolboy error, in a tight game, where it was vital we got something, has cost us a valuable point, that would have kept the unbeaten run going.
Badger is right...we are making excuses for on-going below par performances at home. And for those who think Poyet has made a significant difference, I list his home record to date.....
Played 5 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 4 ( impressive...eh.! )

Im not a huge fan of slagging of the players regardless, you obviously came on here with the sole intent of slagging them off and ultimately would do so no matter the result. The performance today was good, we went toe to toe with a team very up the top of the table and certainly shouldnt have lost, a draw or amybe even victory would have been more fair, f*** knows where your getting poor performance from, guessing ou only listen to games though?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Kuipers - 7 - yes, it was shit striking, but ultimately Kuipers get it respectable at the end
Calderon - 4 - man of the match my arse. Can't defend, wasted play with two f***ing stupid shots from range.
Elphick - 6 - did alright I suppose, didn't have too much to do
Virgo - 1 - a generous 1. cost us the game. Proof Private education isn't all it's cracked up to be. What a stupid idiot.
Painter - 4 - didn't impress at all
Crofts - 3 - why the hell was he playing so deep?
Dicker - 3 - played as the advanced midfielder and did f*** all. Repeat, played as the advanced midfielder and did f*** all. Creativity? Yeah, right.
Navarro - 6 - shouldn't have been subbed, a few excellent passes in amongst a fairly ordinary half, but one that was much better than the other two managed.
Bennett - 5 - off form. Poyet has ruined him.
Forster - 2 - Did NOTHING.
Murray - 3 - marginally better, but still crap

Cox - 2 - get rid

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm with the "glass half full" mob. Apart from Virgo's mad moment and Elphick getting himself booked after two and a half minutes for trying to kick chunks out of a Millwall player who was sitting on the ground, it looked a decent performance from the North stand. The first ten minutes were, as usual, dire but thereafter we were the only team in the game. The two Millwall chances at the end came when we were chasing - until then, they didn't look threatening (apart from the lightening quick Shaun Batt who ran so fast that he once overtook the ball he was dribbling...)

Agreed. We made a top 6 team look average in attack. If only we'd had a bit more industry in the first half, and maybe a bit more luck in the 2nd, we easily could've had 2 or 3 against what is by League One standards a GOOD team.

Kuipers 8.5 - Surprised at you Badger, he was fantastic. Faced two one on ones where you'd bank on the striker scoring and he saved both. Kicking was consistently good for the first time ever. One of the best performances I've ever seen from the big man.

Calderon 8 - So assured on the ball, disappointing with the shots but looks so good going forward.

Virgo 6 - Unfortunately for him THAT error cos the points. Otherwise won everything in the air and generally didn't hoof, or when he did, it was precise hoofing at least.

Elphick 7 - His usual first 5 minutes in two footed lunge, but calmed down after that.

Painter 6 - Not bad, not special.

Navarro 8 - He really is a very tidy footballer. Rarely wastes the ball.

Crofts 7 - Not bad, still goes missing occasionally but worked hard to win the ball back in the middle.

Dicker 6.5 - Liked seeing him get ahead of Crofts a few times today, and that turn was beautiful, shame about the tame shot.

Bennett 6.5 - Err...not the best, some good balls in but still hope for more from him, he could use his pace more often to get to the byline rather than knocking it back inside.

Forster 4 - Really worry about him at the moment. Does not look at the races at all, he seems to be playing the game at a slower pace to everyone else, dawdling on the ball and just looking like his concentration is gone. Give him a rest next game?

Murray 6 - Fairly poor but absolutely zero service. Allowed himself to get involved in a silly niggle with their defender, although to be fair their player was constantly trying to climb on Murray/take Murray's shirt off.

Subs
====

Cox 7 - Despite what a lot of people around me thought, I thought he really helped bring the game to life in the 2nd half, was at the start of almost all our attacking moves from a central position. Needs a better end product, as we know.

Dickinson 7 - Did his job fairly well, shame about the scuffed shot.

Holroyd - Barely got hold of the ball so hard to judge.

Summary - We matched a top 6 side at home. We are playing better football. The results WILL come. Tunnicliffe in for Virgo and maybe Dickinson or Holroyd in for Forster next game.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Withdean Wanderer - hope you feel a bit better tomorrow. By the way, Navarro was subbed because he was injured.

Bugger. Shame, as he was our best midfielder.

One of the balls he played out wide resembled Rooney the other day. Magic.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
All ratings between average and good with a couple of great.

Kuipers - very vocal, and two superb saves at the end kept our hopes of an equaliser alive.

Calderon - Muchos flair. got forward at the right times, and did a decent job. And the best faceplant ive seen for a while when he cocked up that cross.

Virgo - had a great game, had it not been for that mistake he would have been in for a shout for MOM IMO.

Elphick - Did well to score..........last week, quite annonymous this week. Played ok.

Painter - did very well today, no messing about, no flair, but no errors. I think he looked solid at the back.

Dicker - played well, lots of decent tackles, and a superb turn between two defenders nearly got him a goal, it was with his weaker foot the shot was a bit tame but thats still a shot on target more than all 4 strikers i believe? ?

Bennett - didnt really get into the game much, rare as he has had a superb season so far, and his delivery from set pieces is quality.

Navarro - Great work in midfield untill injury.

Crofts - Did ok first half, much better second, one of the few players who will shoot from outside the box. Not surprised he has a few goals this season.

Forster - Didnt shine today, needs to get some shots off, but up against a well organised defence. I was hoping for a bit more from him.

Murray - Expecting more same as forster, he got too involved with the refs decisions and not enough on the game. Still think he is one of the best players in the squad.

Subs - Cox - played well, moved the ball around well, couple of stray passes but looked like he might produce something with some good crosses.

Dickinson - almost got booked straight away, but apart from that seemed to play ok. not much to report. ( If your reading this, he did very well Mrs Dickinson )

Holroyd - Looked lively but didnt shine. Looked sharp in the warm up and think he looks like he will get a few goals. need to see more really.

Ref - Prick - but thats not why we lost.

Lino's - see above.

Was a good game today, could easily have been them that made the error and we could have won 1 - 0. we played some attractive football, but still have work to do.

Good work lads the home win is coming :clap:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

He was bloody quick wasn't he? In fact, you could say he was like a Batt out of Hell..

*Sorry. :down: *

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Do you really believe that last part?

Yes. He was AMAZING under Slade.

Under Poyet, he's had a couple of good games and been shit for the most part.

Hopefully Gus will work out what he's doing wrong at some stage soon!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. He was AMAZING under Slade.

Under Poyet, he's had a couple of good games and been shit for the most part.

Hopefully Gus will work out what he's doing wrong at some stage soon!

I think he needs to get him to use his pace a bit more. He showed ONCE today that he can be lightning when he wants to be! He seems to get drawn into the passing game a bit too much, should be "going long" more often so to speak, old fashioned winger style.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why is everyone slagging the forwards off?

Millwall were tight at the back today and by that I mean the back four and midfield four played close togeather, didn't give us any space and closed down everything, I guess that's how they've got where they are in the league. Murray and forster made the runs and saw some of the ball but too often we tried to walk it through the middle. They needed more support out wide, that was when we looked most dangerous, but Bennett had an off day and cox wasted the ball more often than not.

The two teams weren't that far apart today, had we nicked one at the end instead of hitting the post I'm sure some of the comments, if not the ratings, would be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here