Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Hating

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think the Henderson point by Elm is very good. Him and McPhee are similar players and he was treated like McPhee at Reading(homegrown player, limited chances), but look at him now. If I was Boothroyd I would be looking at McPhee as well.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Oh yes, especially when the club are asking the fans for more money as they are skint and Magoo wasted our last £150k on someone that more than likely won't play again.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think, as is the case with most clubs, that a player needs to be the right player at the right time.

Sure, if we'd kept hold of Henderson he might have come good but he wasn't doing the business when we needed him to and on our limited budget it could have prevented our chances of promotion.

As it was we got rid and used the wages to bring in Benjamin and then Iwelumo, who did do the job.

I feel the same about McCammon and McPhee. Given a run of 20 or 30 games they may settle in, improve their first touch and distribution and start putting away a few goals.

Trouble is by that time we may well be relegated.

These players cannot do what we need them to do right now and therefore shipping one or both out in view to bringing in someone else is a sensible option.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
keaton said:
i think in SOME cases it's to do with subtle subconscious racism amongst a few of our fans, which has been going on for years.
I remember player's like Meade and Codner being slaughtered years ago, Bobby Zamora and Knight both took a load of criticism without deserving it and nowadays players like CKR, mcGammon and Jarret get a whole load of abuse for very little reason

Subtle subconcious racism.................dont talk crap.
Why does racism even come into the equasion...if a players getting a slagging off its for their football. I dont recall Zamora ever getting criticism either!

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
It's the one downside of NSC that drives me mad. I have no problem with critising the manager, the tactics, the players ability etc

However, it is impossible to criticise players effort. You just have no way of knowing whether a player is trying. The amount of running you do during a game has NO bearing on how much you are trying, neither does appluding the fans after a match, or kissing the badge or being a nice bloke.

Only two things matter, Ability and how your ability fits into the team pattern of the side you are in.

If I played for the Albion, you can rest assured I would try my hardest, you would however still hate me because I'm not good enough.

The sort of crap written on here, about McGammon, McPhee, Mayo etc. etc. winds me up. They are all in my opinion not good enough, but to slag them off for not trying or the wrong attitude is moronic nonsense.

No one complained about Leon Knight when he was scoring. The fact is he probably was a moody little git, but no-one other than the players and Leon really know if he was trying or not. The fact is he doesn't fit in with our direct style of play doesn't make him a 'lazy waste of space' etc

If Leon had been 6ft 5ins and the same player I doubt he would've got half the abuse he gets here. I don't want to go out for a drink with the players, or watch them running around like headless chickens I just want the best team we can afford...

Maybe we could get Paula Radcliffe down here? She can run all day...

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Big G said:
Subtle subconcious racism.................dont talk crap.
Why does racism even come into the equasion...if a players getting a slagging off its for their football. I dont recall Zamora ever getting criticism either!

Don't remember Dan Harding being black? He got plenty didn't he?

:lolol:

Absolute crap, that its racism...

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Infernal Optimist said:
Don't remember Dan Harding being black? He got plenty didn't he?

:lolol:

Absolute crap, that its racism...

Spot on there Optimist.... i think somwhere down the generation line Dan Hardings great great great grandparents must have been black and therefore that why we have a subtle subconcious dislike for him.....that that one solved then.....now about that Mark Farrington bloke, he must originate from pakistan!!!!!!!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Trigger said:
Oh yes, especially when the club are asking the fans for more money as they are skint and Magoo wasted our last £150k on someone that more than likely won't play again.

I am sorry but why is it when supporters of McGhee make the points about lack of money, ground etc we are accused of sounding like a broken record. However, you anti-McGhee people can just use Turienzo over and over again.

At the moment he is clearly a bad signing and of course no other manager has ever made a bad signing. £150k is nothing in football these days so get over it.

If you support a team, you do not spend your whole time moaning about the club, management, players etc. Constructive criticism is fine, but this is just getting boring. Be realistic look at Leicester's shortlist for manager, according to the BBC it is Gary McAllister, Peter Reid and Gudjon Thordarson. Now considering Leicester have greater potential than us who do you think would come here to replace McGhee? ???

Personally, I would rather have McGhee over any of those three.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Finchley Seagull said:
£150k is nothing in football these days so get over it.
So £150k is nothing to a team like us? Well in that case I'll not dip into my pocket the next time the begging buckets come out.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Big G said:
Spot on there Optimist.... i think somwhere down the generation line Dan Hardings great great great grandparents must have been black and therefore that why we have a subtle subconcious dislike for him.....that that one solved then.....now about that Mark Farrington bloke, he must originate from pakistan!!!!!!!!

What about Richard Tiltman? I dread to think where his parents were from, come to think of it did he have any? :lolol:

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Trigger said:
So £150k is nothing to a team like us? Well in that case I'll not dip into my pocket the next time the begging buckets come out.

Carole and Frutos were free, so all Three of them for £150,000 sounds like a good deal to me...

Picking out the bad deal and ignoring the good deals, devalues your argument somewhat...

Mind you slaughter him for playing people out of position and you have a point.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
So the manner of the £150k signing doesn't bother you in the slightest, Magoo watched a video, looked at his stats on Football Manager and saw him play for 45 minutes in a friendly against Lewes before telling him and the press he wasn't good enough and had been sent away...

Then all of a sudden in the next few days he's back on a two year deal and for a fee of £150k...

What's that all about when Magoo had already said he's not good enough, fair enough to get him back if he was free and we're struggling to get anyone else but to pay £150k out of desperation for a player he didn't think was good enough is just crazy.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Trigger said:
So the manner of the £150k signing doesn't bother you in the slightest, Magoo watched a video, looked at his stats on Football Manager and saw him play for 45 minutes in a friendly against Lewes before telling him and the press he wasn't good enough and had been sent away...

Then all of a sudden in the next few days he's back on a two year deal and for a fee of £150k...

What's that all about when Magoo had already said he's not good enough, fair enough to get him back if he was free and we're struggling to get anyone else but to pay £150k out of desperation for a player he didn't think was good enough is just crazy.

It's a fair point. I don't really understand it either. There is a chance that McGhee saw something in him that he could develop with coaching. In his defence, McGhee has been candid about El Turi and admitted what a gamble he was. An expensive one.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Did someone say the word BUNG. :lolol:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Trigger said:

I have heard from more than one source that McGhee didnt really want Turienzo at all and DK decided he was going to bring him in becasue Brady said he was up to it.

If this is true then maybe you should start pointing your gun in someone elses direction?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
All this stick MM keeps taking about who comes in and who goes out. I cant help thinking that Dick Knight is getting away scot free in all this. Surely a lot of these decisions are made with his consent or even instruction.
Lets not forget that the one time Micky Adams had a bad word to say about Dick was when he claimed that he had found Zamora and not Adams.
Even CKR he claimed was his find with a mate of his

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here