Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning to increase the capacity already?

Jan 30, 2008
I'm a cock, but you can't give a reason... You're a f***ing idiot you really are, I said casual fan, casual fans will have had a purchase history, it isn't my fault you are so blinkered by your childish little rage you couldn't even reach the end of my post before pressing that reply button to try and call me out on something I corrected just 5 words later.

You're an idiot, not my fault.

Someone who has not bought a single ticket from the club in 3 years, i.e. has not attended a single match in 3 years, IS a JCL.
how did you work that one out you tool !, there's plenty out there who have done time at the Goldstone and have boycotted withdean for what it was , there coming back in numbers so keep your mouth shut .

Giraffe's Son

Dec 3, 2007
No need to rush to 30,500 unless we get into the Premiership, but why not put in the planning application? Once that's done the building is the easy bit.

juanpablotheseagul

Mar 8, 2011
So you want us to be like darlington, with a massive white elephant of a stadium? Why didn't we just rebuild wembley on the edge of brighton? Go read my comments above.

I've read your comments above mate, and with all due respect I just don't agree with you. However, contrary to my original post, I do understand where you're comming from. Only time will tell who is right.

As a fan I hope I'm right and you're wrong, but maybe it's just blind optimisim on my part.

Enjoy the season pal!

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
-Having 8000 empty seats would damage the atmosphere, it was widely agreed on here we would rather have a smaller, more filled stadium.
I don't necessarily disagree with many of your points, however I DO with the above one.

I'm not sure if you've been to the Amex yet or seen any photos but there is ALREADY large(ish) empty spaces in the corners and above the east stand. The atmosphere is going to be the same whether it's stand frames and empty space or whether it's blocked in with seats (covered with banners/tarpaulin for smaller crowds). Actually, I think this would make a BETTER atmosphere as it's more that will rebound the sound back into the stadium. Empty space as it is now will not rebound the sound.

Also, how would the extra empty seats add to match day costs? (given that blocks would be empty e.g. the whole East Stand upper would have no people in, so no need for stewards there etc.).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No need to rush to 30,500 unless we get into the Premiership, but why not put in the planning application? Once that's done the building is the easy bit.

But there is a need to build up the capacity as the demand is there. To miss the trick now would be foolish and wouldn't make good business sense. To compare us to Darlington is simply laughable. Most teams that drop down from the Premiership have seen there gates crash. That's football. The same if Gus went.This club will move on as always and i'm sure Bloom will make the right appointment,after all it's his money at stake.
With a bigger capacity will mean a bigger budget for Gus. We could actually break into the top 10 or even top 6 in this league.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
But there is a need to build up the capacity as the demand is there. To miss the trick now would be foolish and wouldn't make good business sense. To compare us to Darlington is simply laughable. Most teams that drop down from the Premiership have seen there gates crash. That's football. The same if Gus went.This club will move on as always and i'm sure Bloom will make the right appointment,after all it's his money at stake.
With a bigger capacity will mean a bigger budget for Gus. We could actually break into the top 10 or even top 6 in this league.

How long does the extra demand last for once the novelty of our new stadium wears off??

I think it is crazy having played not played for one season at our new home and already planning on an increase of more than third in size. Lets put the planning application in and see how things settle down. If they can do it in phases and every home game this year is a sell out add some next summer and then if the demand is there add the rest the following summer.

All clubs who move in to a new stadium get an initial surge in demand but historically (and there are plenty of examples of this) their demand tends to die down to a level more akin to previous to their stadium move (I appreciate we are an exception to this and should always average more at Falmer than we did at Withdean).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I am not disagreeing with the points you have made, but I was wondering if the stadium was going to be used for other social events apart from football which may require the additional 8000 seats, (e.g. concerts).

There are too many unanswered questions as the club have not been in the position before as it is all new so wait and see would be a sensible approach.

We don't have the license for that, the planning permisson gave us a football stadium, not a music venue.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We don't have the license for that, the planning permisson gave us a football stadium, not a music venue.

not strictly true, the planning permission does allow for a certain number of 'other' events

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
How long does the extra demand last for once the novelty of our new stadium wears off??

I think it is crazy having played not played for one season at our new home and already planning on an increase of more than third in size. Lets put the planning application in and see how things settle down. If they can do it in phases and every home game this year is a sell out add some next summer and then if the demand is there add the rest the following summer.

All clubs who move in to a new stadium get an initial surge in demand but historically (and there are plenty of examples of this) their demand tends to die down to a level more akin to previous to their stadium move (I appreciate we are an exception to this and should always average more at Falmer than we did at Withdean).

Under normal circumstances i would agree with you but being the only proper club in Sussex(forget Crawley) we are unique club. Why do it in phases when it would cost more ie hiring machinery etc? With more seats to fill i'm sure Bloom is aware that he needs to keep the fans happy and i fully expect him to continue pumping money into the playing side. Obviously he wants the club to run it'self without him digging into his own pockets all the time in the near future. It' a gamble in some sense but come on we already have a waiting list growing. I think the club have got it right by going ahead with it now.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Empty seats? If we are not able to fill the ground. The corners could be covered in the tarpaulins that are currently in place. Et voila. If a popular team roll into town or we get a big cup tie etc. they are there to be used.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
In fairness it is just too early to tell what the new support will do in the long term. It is entirely possible that the majority will stay put and fall in love with the club and help us to grow, or it could be a short term thing and tail off to about 15k attendances. We don't know just how many people have bought season tickets just to attend Donny, Palace, Portsmouth, West Ham etc, and they don't even know if they will get hooked and decide to come regularly. Season ticket renewal predictions are currently a stab in the dark.

I'm not sure if we should jump into completing the remaining areas straight away, but to regularly sell out (hypothetically speaking) and leave a potentially interested, albeit perhaps small group of casual fans unable to buy tickets when the buzz around the club's direction and stadium is at a high would be a shame.

As others have said, at the very least we may as well apply for permission - expanding the capacity could prove to be a very good idea in the next 2 or 3 seasons. There seems to be a consensus here about the planning application anyway.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sweet Jesus...:facepalm:

God you are a complete f***ing retard arn't you, every single post I make, it gets some 1 line, 3 word reply involving a smiley, if you want to try and disprove me, try putting some words together, in legible english with an argument that actually makes sense (few of them so far actually have), and I might start to feel somehow embarrassed, because right now I'm just enjoying your pathetic attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here