Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning to increase the capacity already?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And that is a MASSIVE if isn't it? And MP has said that we could get it done in a summer, assuming we already had permisson, so by all means stick in the application now, but as I said on the very first page, it would be unneccesarry to act on it now, and potentionally be a bit harmful.

-We are not selling out matches rapidly, anyone who wanted tickets to any game so far could have recieved them.
-Adding extra seats would cost money, and would add to the match day costs.
-Having 8000 empty seats would damage the atmosphere, it was widely agreed on here we would rather have a smaller, more filled stadium.
-Many people purchased season tickets on the presumption it would be the only way to guarentee a ticket, add 8000 seats and that wont be the case in this league, so season ticket renewals could fall.
-There is a lot of hype surrounding the club, we should let this settle down, look at our attendances and then make the decision on whether to expand.

Now then, who wants to argue all those points just for the sake of disagreeing with me?

how would having 8000 empty seats damage the atmosphere?..Its an enclosed stadium and the roof does not have to be raised or taken off at all. The more seats there are the more atmosphere there will be, if there are bums on them. What im saying is that 22,000 in that stadium as it is, will still create the same atmosphere as 22,000 in that stadium if it had 30,000 seats. If fact it would be better, especially with a second tier on the east stand, keeping whatever noise there is from the bottom tier staying more enclosed.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
It all depends on how we finish next season, if we go down or just survive relegation, I reckon we are going to lose 3-4 thousand STH's. I would hate for this to happen of course... But if this does happen we are going to have over 10,000 seats free. I would rather be in a packed Amex than one which looks like it's deserted.
If we get into the premiership for example this would obviously be a good idea, for the demand of fans wanting to see albion play.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If 8000 empty seats sold on average at £25 each (say whether concessions, 1901's, matchday sales, or ST's), then each game that sells out would generate £200,000 plus whatever else those 8000 extra supporters buy on the day. Given the infra-structure is already largely in place for the 8000 seats, what would we be talking about to break even on the costs for the new seats, 10 sold out games generating an extra £2m? Once you've had say the 10 sold out games in them, they've paid for themselves. (granted I don't know the figures, could be more, could be less, who knows, could be 500 or more of them are more 1901 etc.)

The point being, the club are dead eager to do this quick, because the revenue generated will come in quick, and the return on the investment will be pretty quick. If they are empty for some games, so what.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As we are on the topic of expanding the stadium... Will the corners at the North end be filled in? I only ask because both NE and NW corners have large doors in, so would we be having seats built up and around a tunnel or something similar?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The way i see it a lot of people gave up a lot of time and money to fight for this club to survive, myself included, if they hadn't the likes of Hustpierpoint Seagull wouldn't be spouting all this shit in the first place.

I'm guessing that you are a pretty young guy, Hustpierpoint Seagull, as you are going to Med School as others have said, therefore you would have been too young to go through what we had to, thats not your fault, but for you to then turn round and call anyone else a JCL is quite frankly absurd. Just because you have your season ticket sorted doesn't give you the right to spout off about others who dont have purchase history. As i stated earlier if i hadn't gone to the two aforementioned games i wouldn't have any purchase history, and according to you that would make me a JCL, even though you wouldn't have a club to support if it hadn't been for the thousands of people, like me, who got off their arses to do something about it.

If one person who stood up against Archer, Stanley and Bellotti back in the Goldstone days, but hasn't been since and fancies going again, but cant get a ticket, then that is one too many. Put the seats in.

This all day long, If it was not for me, you and thousands like us there would have been no club for anyone never mind the so called JCL, who gives a feck as one day that JCL could love the club as much as anyone else. no one has a higher moral position as a fan. AMEX for everyone

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As we are on the topic of expanding the stadium... Will the corners at the North end be filled in? I only ask because both NE and NW corners have large doors in, so would we be having seats built up and around a tunnel or something similar?

This is where they are going to store the sporks

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Quite correct - up to 50 external events per annum of which a maximum of two may be concerts.

Anyone else more than a bit concerned that HS is supposedly going to train as a doctor? .

Having read through the thread to date yes, a great deal more than just a bit! The readiness to use incorrect information to support his argument and his bad tempered descent into foul language doesn't bode too well for the development of a charming bed side manner!

I'd much rather rely on the business plans of the board than the opinions of such an "erudite" young man.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Just build it already stop the pointless arguements, will be great to have the potential of filling a 30,000 stadium absolutely bleedin marvelous

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Only by agreement with the clubs they play. If they DEMANDED more, they'd have to give them.

Found online a while back a document called “application for membership of the football league” dated July 2010.

With regards to numbers of away fans it says: “Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
It is a good job we moved out of Withdean as the same document says: "With effect from the 2011/12 Season each Club shall, subject to any dispensations granted by the Board, make provision for at least 200 of the visiting supporters to be accommodated under cover. Any Club which fails to meet the requirement of 200 visiting supporters being accommodated under cover and which does not have a dispensation granted by the Board shall have such amounts as the Board shall determine (in its absolute discretion) withheld from that Club’s central distributions from the Pool Account until such time as the Club can meet the requirement.

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Found online a while back a document called “application for membership of the football league” dated July 2010.

With regards to numbers of away fans it says: “Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000.

So therefore if i understand correctly, if we increase the capacity to 30k we dont need to give the away fans any more seats, in fact we can take 500 back off them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
-Having 8000 empty seats would damage the atmosphere, it was widely agreed on here we would rather have a smaller, more filled stadium.
Smaller and more filled, yes, but the point is, we have the stadium of the size it is, it's no longer about making it small, it's now about making it packed. If we were to only ever have 22k, we'd have been better with a smaller stadium than we have - small and packed all around the corners etc. Equally you'd be better with our stadium with 30k in it than old trafford with 30k in it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I don't believe that, the figure is probably much below 95%.

Non-STH are going to be weighted towards the most casual fans, long distance fans and people that had no interest in Withdean and been waiting patiently for the Amex. Of those:

a) how many have avoided Withdean in the last 3 years (I believe 3 was the requirement)?
b) gone to the odd away game but paid on the gate? Attended the odd home game through a ticket not bought by the club as they didn't have a membership?

Much more than 5% I'd say. We heard plenty of stories on here of people being turned away at the ticket office for a Donny ticket or not being able to buy tickets for themselves or others online. Not exactly a 'general sale' is it if you require a recent purchase history.

In lower demand fixtures a truely open general sale (and greater public awareness as to the availablity of tickets) should maintain a strong upkeep of general sales.

I am exactly this as are dad and brother. Also couple mates. Think this poster is right. Maybe the previous guy meant 95% have NEVER bought a ticket to withers as needed a membership, plus all the away games we used to do were always potg again due to membership. If you can make 3-4 games a season why pay 1 game's money for a membership.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bloody JCL (only kidding mate)
Its a plastic fork with a spoon on the side, or is it a spoon with a fork .... mmm now im confused

Ha ha! I'll be totally honest, I wracked my brains about it, and a spoon/fork was the only thing I could think of, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what it had to do with the Amex/Albion, should of realised it's the NSC so it could be anything! If only I could Neg myself :lol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Someone who has not bought a single ticket from the club in 3 years, i.e. has not attended a single match in 3 years, IS a JCL.

Not been to a match since since 1997 at the Goldstone.... However first game almost 50 years ago and travelled all over the country following the team. Managed to get a ticket for SSCF and hoping to go to some games this season.

Am I a JCL?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here