Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plagarism

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what you mean you have NEVER used footnotes?

I would demand your fees back!!!!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
sorry, you cant play that card. university students are supposed to be thinking and learning for themselves, not relying solely on the teaching of lecturers. its not your fault, i suppose this demonstrates all to well the quality of university education these days.

I suppose if you want to raise the standard of uni, then you have to make it tougher. I'll be honest, I think the admissions procedure is too lax. Yes it's arguable whether I am up to standard. I would say I am not, but I know so many people even worse than me.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
So you don't know what is acceptable at your Uni because they haven't bothered to tell you. Or maybe, because you haven't bothered to check with them. If you rely on advice from a football forum and then get your dissitation thrown out because you didn't follow your Uni's rules, who is to blame then? I thought learning at Uni was about the student doing a bit more work under their own initiative rather than being spoon fed by tutors!

I'll admit i'm lazy, and i'm not an academic and i shoulder some of the blame. I only did it because i was told it was it was the best route to the job i want. I did a degree for all the wrong reasons to be honest.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Never been told to use footnotes.

That is seriously shit.

Whilst I agree with others in that Uni is about learning for yourself, in the case of referencing it should be made clear from the off how the Uni expects things to be referenced and reminding of the rules of plagiarising. Plus, if you've done 2 years without referencing without being penalised then it's obviously something you are not going to be bothered to find about.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
So you don't know what is acceptable at your Uni because they haven't bothered to tell you. Or maybe, because you haven't bothered to check with them. If you rely on advice from a football forum and then get your dissitation thrown out because you didn't follow your Uni's rules, who is to blame then? I thought learning at Uni was about the student doing a bit more work under their own initiative rather than being spoon fed by tutors!

But if i've been working a certain way, which i thought was the right way, and no lecturer has left feedback in any assignments then i'm going to carry on doing what i'm doing.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
At the start of the course did the University, or your department, provide you with an undergraduate handbook that covers things like where to hand in essays how to reference etc?

Failing that, just email your dissertation supervisor!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
At the start of the course did the University, or your department, provide you with an undergraduate handbook that covers things like where to hand in essays how to reference etc?

Failing that, just email your dissertation supervisor!

He's on holiday and not replying to emails. I sent him a section of my dissertation and he said the referencing was fine. He will be marking it.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Stick to however you are doing it then I reckon. If he's marking it and he's happy with it, you are doing no wrong.

Good luck with your dissertation, I am doing mine at the moment too.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would get slaughtered if I used your referencing system. For a web page you need Author, title, site name, date of article, url [accessed on ...].

eg. Patrick Kelly, ‘The Rising of Bruce Springsteen’, America: The National Catholic Weekly, 10 Febuary 2003, America Magazine - ‘The Rising’ of Bruce Springsteen [accessed 22/02/2011].

When I was at uni, the internet wasn't a major reference source. Any time it was used it was usually just because journals were archived somewhere, and we were suppose to use the regular referencing system for journals, so the idea of dating when accessed wasn't considered, so I'll bow down to your advice on that one.

One of the worst in the country: Derby. My mum who went to Sussex pointed it out to me last night, i can't believe in 3 years no lecturers have pulled me up on this.
Maybe someone should ask how anyone gets a job at Derby University? Perhaps they all understand the value of plagiarism in achieving career advancement.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As far as I'm aware, if you've copied and pasted, it needs to go in quotation marks as well as being referenced. If you've used the idea and re-worded it or only used parts of it, it needs to be referenced but not necessarily quoted. Always be on the safe side.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You could always try the Derby University web site
http://www.derby.ac.uk/library/study-skills

http://www.derby.ac.uk/library/study-skills/citing-and-referencing

http://www.derby.ac.uk/library/study-skills/dissertation

"The Harvard system

The Citing and Referencing - Harvard System booklet offers generic examples. The booklets are also available in print from all of the library sites.
PLATO - PLAgiarism Teaching Online

PLATO is an interactive tool with tutorials and advice on citing and referencing and how to avoid plagiarism. You can access PLATO by logging on to UDo, selecting 'Study Resources' from the left hand menu and PLATO is at the bottom of the menu.
In addition to the resources above, you may find the following book useful:
'Cite them right: the essential guide to referencing guide.' by Richard Pears and Graham Shields (2008).
There are copies in stock in the libraries, to check availability please refer to the library catalogue.
Some of the subject specific leaflets contain examples relevant to a subject area. They are written by subject librarians.
Important

All the above sources of information provide a general guide to citing and referencing only, so it is important that before submitting any written work check with your tutor the style required for your assignments."

PS I copied all of this this from the interweb just now if anyone is asking

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1. Plagiarism definitions are quite vague, one person says one thing and someone else another, i've always thought it to be not referencing where you got something from.

2. Surely an indictment on my uni more than me, if these things aren't made clear by the people you pay 1000s of £££ to teach you then how are students to learn.

Without wanting to sound harsh, it took me 5 seconds to type in 'Derby University, Plagiarism' into Google, and this came up

Find out what plagiarism is and practice your referencing technique by using PLATO. PLATO (PLAgiarism Teaching Online) is a new e-learning resource for students which develops practical skills in referencing and promotes reflection on the attitudes and situations which may lead to plagiarism.

PLATO is available online 24/7, 365 days a year.

To access PLATO log on to UDo, select 'Study Resources' from the left hand menu and PLATO is at the bottom of the menu.

There is also a printed introduction to citing and referencing using the Harvard style available from each Learning Centres and available electronically from the Library Guides web page

Sometimes the reason for plagiarism is a lack of study skills. For further information about the help available please visit Study Skills - University of Derby

All the above sources of information provide a general guide to citing and referencing, so before submitting any written work check with your tutor the style required for your assignments.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It took me four seconds (but I only typed "derby university" into google)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've got to hand in dissertation on Wednesday, and I'm not sure what plagiarism is exactly. I've done alot of cutting and pasting with out paraphrasing, but I always reference anything I use. So what exactly constitutes plagiarism?

If you quote someone, don't put quote marks next to their name but acknowledge where that wording came from, does this constitute plagiarism?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here