Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plagarism

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Either;

Quote directly, use quote marks, and cite the year/page ... Johnson (2006:12) says 'quote here.'

or - paraphrase, but still cite the source you've taken the ideas from ... According to Johnson (2006:12), your own words

In both cases, your references section, at the end of the essay, needs to have the source referenced, as someone posted above.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oi! With all due respect m'lud, THPP cited his sources. You on the other hand simply nicked Beach Hut's passage. As it were.

OK you two, just leave my passage out of this - reserved for Ernest

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's quite simple (I think!). I'm doing a dissertation at the moment as well. This is the way we do it:

If you quote a scholars argument, put it in quote marks and put a footnote with Author, Name of Book (Place of publication, year of publication), page number. [note the full stop!]. Then every further time you use the book you do Surname, Abbreviated name of book, page number.

If you are using a scholar's argument it is better to quote directly rather than paraphrase - that's assuming you have included it for a good reason and have something to add to it (otherwise it's just in there for the sake of it!).

If you put in a fact that might need referencing (eg. A memorial service was held in New York in which Bruce Springsteen's words were used), put it in your own words but reference it at the end of the sentence, with the same system as above. This avoids having a paragraph reaing "x said this '.....', y said this '....').

I'm pretty sure you can't get done for plagiarism if you reference everything. It just doesn't look very impressive if half your work is just repeating other people!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's just a weasily cop-out. Disguising plagiarism with citations is no different from naked cheating. My IDEA - to steal Beach Hut's words - was ORIGINAL.

'"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." - Homer J Simpson

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you copy and paste it must be clearly marked. Either with quotes, italics, or indented. It should have some note (you can either superscript (ctrl, shift and +) numbers, or cite the author in brackets), the numbers are then used in the bibliography so that it is clear which copy and pasted bit came from which source.

If you paraphrase, you still need a full bibliography.

By not using quotation marks, indentation or italics, it is implied you are interpreting the work you cite.

It is important to distinguish your work from theirs, both because it is dishonest and disrespectful to the original source to act like their work is yours, but also because it makes clear where mistakes are made (i.e. if you write one of their conclusions as your own and they are wrong, you will seem wrong).

A proper bibliography should include
for books
Author, title, publisher, isbn number.

For articles/papers
Author, article title, magazine/review title, issue number and/or date

For articles from web pages
Author, title, site name and url

In summary:
-if you are copying and pasting indent it, italicise it, add quote marks, put a reference on it that can be used to pick the full source from the bibliography.
-if you are paraphrasing, put a reference on it that can be used to pick the ull source from the bibliography

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As is often the case, Morrissey best described plagiarism.

[yt]TbBdWNqxkR0[/yt]

A dreaded sunny day
so I meet you at the cemetery gates
Keats and Yeats are on your side

A dreaded sunny day
so I meet you at the cemetery gates
while Wilde is on mine

So we go inside and we gravely read the stones
all those people all those lives
where are they now?
with the loves and hates
and passions just like mine
they were born
and then they lived and then they died
seems so unfair
and I want to cry

You say: "ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
and you claim these words as your own
but I've read well, and I've heard them said
a hundred times, maybe less, maybe more

If you must write prose and poems
the words you use should be your own
don't plagiarise or take "on loans"
there's always someone, somewhere
with a big nose, who knows
and who trips you up and laughs
when you fall
who'll trip you up and laugh
when you fall

You say: "ere long done do does did"
words which could only be your own
and then you then produce the text
from whence was ripped some dizzy whore, 1804

A dreaded sunny day
so let's go where we're happy
and I meet you at the cemetery gates
Oh Keats and Yeats are on your side

A dreaded sunny day
so let's go where we're wanted
and I meet you at the cemetery gates
but you lose because Wilde is on mine

Ignore these words at your peril.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
For articles from web pages
Author, title, site name and url

I would get slaughtered if I used your referencing system. For a web page you need Author, title, site name, date of article, url [accessed on ...].

eg. Patrick Kelly, ‘The Rising of Bruce Springsteen’, America: The National Catholic Weekly, 10 Febuary 2003, America Magazine - ‘The Rising’ of Bruce Springsteen [accessed 22/02/2011].

For books you definetely need the place of publication as well as the year, and I've never been told to include an ISBN.

Anyway the best thing to do is to find your university or university department's guide on how to footnote as if you follow this you can't be penalised.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im curious to know where you are studying that they havent told you exactly what plagarism is, or how's it possible to have got through 3 years wihout this questioning troubling you before.

Whilst we use the harvard system, i've always referenced individual pages for quotes using the harvard system in footnotes, then done one reference for individual books in the Bibliography at the end, and have had no issues with Plagarism...hope that helps

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
im curious to know where you are studying that they havent told you exactly what plagarism is, or how's it possible to have got through 3 years wihout this questioning troubling you before.

One of the worst in the country: Derby. My mum who went to Sussex pointed it out to me last night, i can't believe in 3 years no lecturers have pulled me up on this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly! Does beg the question as to why someone who is about to submit their dissitation and who doesn't appear to have a clue what plagiarism is, nor has the acumen to find out from their own university, what the f*** they are actually doing at Uni in the first place!!!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Exactly! Does beg the question as to why someone who is about to submit their dissitation and who doesn't appear to have a clue what plagiarism is, nor has the acumen to find out from their own university, what the f*** they are actually doing at Uni in the first place!!!

1. Plagiarism definitions are quite vague, one person says one thing and someone else another, i've always thought it to be not referencing where you got something from.

2. Surely an indictment on my uni more than me, if these things aren't made clear by the people you pay 1000s of £££ to teach you then how are students to learn.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Plagiarism definitions are quite vague, one person says one thing and someone else another, i've always thought it to be not referencing where you got something from.

2. Surely an indictment on my uni more than me, if these things aren't made clear by the people you pay 1000s of £££ to teach you then how are students to learn.

So you don't know what is acceptable at your Uni because they haven't bothered to tell you. Or maybe, because you haven't bothered to check with them. If you rely on advice from a football forum and then get your dissitation thrown out because you didn't follow your Uni's rules, who is to blame then? I thought learning at Uni was about the student doing a bit more work under their own initiative rather than being spoon fed by tutors!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

sorry, you cant play that card. university students are supposed to be thinking and learning for themselves, not relying solely on the teaching of lecturers. its not your fault, i suppose this demonstrates all to well the quality of university education these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here