Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plagarism

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I've got to hand in dissertation on Wednesday, and I'm not sure what plagiarism is exactly. I've done alot of cutting and pasting with out paraphrasing, but I always reference anything I use. So what exactly constitutes plagiarism?

If you quote someone, don't put quote marks next to their name but acknowledge where that wording came from, does this constitute plagiarism?

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
plagiarism is taking someones work as your own, if youve taken poeces of someones work but referenced them correctly you should be fine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trouble is if it is deemed as plagiarism it will be rejected.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have had to send Easy10 over £300 for stories that i must have accidentally stolen from him down the years. If i'd remembered and mentioned they were his, then i'd have come out even from it. It's quite unsettling to get a letter from his solicitor with the time, date and exact wording of his copyrighted material that i'd nabbed for the swelling of mine own ego. In general, i have to write an apology and admission of guilt in the Meade's_Ball newsletter, but i try to hide as best as i can on page 14 below the tale of a sheep and its lost comb, or something.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So is cut and paste acceptable as long as you put Johnson (2006) at the end for example?, effectively I'm not passing it off as my own because i've attributed it to Johnson, but I'm not putting it into my own words either.

See PM sent

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trouble is if it is deemed as plagiarism it will be rejected.

Precisely it will fall at the first hurdle so have advised him to contact someone who may well know quite a bit about this.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i dont think you can just reference the quote, like 'johnson 2006' i think you have to also say where you got the quote from, eg 'johnson, page 46, the big book of plagiarism, 2006'

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just make sure you take the time to check it through after getting some proper guidance, my mate had a 30 credit dissertation awarded a mark of zero last year for one paragraph that wasn't properly referenced despite having no clue he'd done it.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Most unis also have something on the online library where you can upload a piece of work and it gives you a '% plagarism' figure and tells you the guidelines ie 10% = completely normal, anything above 20% is too high etc

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
do a Bibliography at the end of your work, stating where and who you have quoted from, giving fulkl details right down to publishers and year and you will be fine ( that is what we do on OU degree courses)

You will also need to add footnotes against the quote so the marker knows what quote is what

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so long as the quotes are relevant to backing up your argument....if you have just packed it with unrealted stuff then Yes, it will be canned

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If you are using sombody's words you have to put it in quotation marks followed by (Author's surname, date of publication) e.g (Johnson, 2006)

If the quotation is more than 2 sentences tan you have to indent the quotation in it's own special section followed by (Author's surname, date of publication) e.g (Johnson, 2006) with both of these examples you must have a references page and within the references page you must cite the book that the qutation was taken from as ...Surname, initial. (date) Title of the book, extended title. Place the book was published: publishers
e.g Johnson, A. (2006) My Life I Was Once A Palace Scumbag Centre Forward. London: Mummy Johnson Ltd

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I would think that you would need to make it clear which parts of *your* work are pasted directly from another source rather than merely adding a footnote/reference to the source without giving an indication of what are your words and what aren't.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
do a Bibliography at the end of your work, stating where and who you have quoted from, giving fulkl details right down to publishers and year and you will be fine ( that is what we do on OU degree courses)

You will also need to add footnotes against the quote so the marker knows what quote is what

We've never been taught to use footnotes, i think it must be because we use harvard over oscola.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here