Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pitch invasion

Sep 1, 2010
How was there ever NOT going to be a pitch invasion? And are a thousand blokes in trainers really going to ruin a pitch? What exactly is the problem?

Is it that the club simply have to show they did all they could to prevent it, within reason, because of FA regulations or some such? In which case why not tell people that?

It all seems a bit of a farce to me.

Exactly what i thought. Promotion=pitch invasion..........simple.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Glad i ran on the pitch & wouldn't change it for the world.
Brilliant way to mark our last night game at the theatre of trees. As for the moaners, Well seems they aren't happy unless they've got something to whinge about. Chill out and enjoy the moment :smokin:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Football has become so sanitised, that a good old fashioned pitch invasion is a good thing in my book. Standing around applauding seems a little dull and isn't the way I want to display my emotion of what has been a season to remember.

Also the electric wheelchair going on the pitch was brilliant.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How was there ever NOT going to be a pitch invasion? And are a thousand blokes in trainers really going to ruin a pitch? What exactly is the problem?

Is it that the club simply have to show they did all they could to prevent it, within reason, because of FA regulations or some such? In which case why not tell people that?

It all seems a bit of a farce to me.
A wheelchair is surely going to leave a mark :lolol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well I was sat in the home dugout telling the idiots to get off the pitch, they were going to spoil my view of the lap of honour. Disgraceful. As for steward 670 - well that sort of language was shocking.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
running on the pitch is not moronic.

Well it is but knowing that isn't going to stop it happening. Grown men charging on the pitch just so they can say in years to come that they stood on a proper football pitch when the Albion got promoted from the third tier to the second tier of English league football. I'd had a few sherberts before the game in anticipation and when the annoucement was made left the ground. Still heard the announcement then that there was a lap of honour but went for some more sherberts instead.

Afterall, when you stood on the St James' Park pitch in 1979, it puts it all in perspective!!!!!!!

So, promotion next year then I may become moronic again!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Morons invade the pitch, despite being told the team will not do a lap of honour. Samrah tells us that the team will not do a lap of honour. Many fans like me and the missus then leave the ground. Players and management do a lap of honour.
What the f**k is going on with communication at the club?

I thought that was Gus's orders. I also thought it was well played. It had been covered in the argus and on the radio was that the club's position was that a pitch invasion would result in no lap of honour. Cancelling the lap of honour showed the club were sticking to their word, and any similar future threat will be taken seriously, and will result in less of a problem (not that I consider celebratory pitch invasions 'problems'). They then, after most of the main offenders had left, let the players out to celebrate with the remaining fans.

Having said that, I really don't get the appeal of running on the pitch. It doesn't make you a better fan, standing on the same grass as the players doesn't make you one of the team or as good a footballer the professionals. You can celebrate with your fellow fans on the running track or in the stands. It just holds no appeal for me. Though if it floats your boat, I'm not going to get worked up about it.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
There was always gonna be a pitch invasion if we won tonight.
Everyone knew it ... the Stewards, Samrah, the FA, even Colonel Gaddafi if you'd rung him up and asked him, so I don't understand the moaners.

Having said that, I don't understand the pitch invaders either.

If it's the correct way to celebrate promotion ... why didn't 7,000+ people invade instead of just a few hundred?

Face it ... people invade the pitch to get noticed ... and because they are brain dead of course, and can't see how stupid they appear.
"Ooooh looook at me mummy ... I got myself on Sky Sports news, how cool am I!!"

At least children have an excuse, they genuinely don't know any better, but when an adult does it ..?

Pathetic.

Sep 1, 2010
Everyone knew it ... the Stewards, Samrah, the FA, even Colonel Gaddafi if you'd rung him up and asked him, so I don't understand the moaners.

If it's the correct way to celebrate promotion ... why didn't 7,000+ people invade instead of just a few hundred?

Face it ... people invade the pitch to get noticed ... and because they are brain dead of course, and can't see how stupid they appear.

At least children have an excuse, they genuinely don't know any better, but when an adult does it ..?

Pathetic.

Tory

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sorry, but a fair few real supporters left after the announcement that Gus and team would not be coming back out after the invasion. The moronic minority ruined it for a large number of the fans.

Bollocks. The club ruined it. There was always going to be a pitch invasion, fact!!

The club should therefore have been ready for it, not making quite frankly stupid announcements. Then clear the pitch which was done easily and get the players and Gus out. Its not rocket science!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh dear I just KNEW there would be a thread about this on here. At almost every ground in the country there is a pitch invasion if there's promoion - get over it - we've got SCC or Hudds for another lap of honour. And Gus and the players hardly seemed bothered about the pitch invasion did they - bet they couldn't wait to get out and celebrate - infact all the players I saw on the pitch were loving it.

To those who are saying 'grown men running on pitch blah blah' 0 it's nice to celecrate with the players themselves in some people's view - deal with it.

THE PITCH WAS COMPLETELY CLEAR VERY, VERY QUICKLY!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All of this. Sums it all up completely as I see it.

Oh dear I just KNEW there would be a thread about this on here. At almost every ground in the country there is a pitch invasion if there's promoion - get over it - we've got SCC or Hudds for another lap of honour. And Gus and the players hardly seemed bothered about the pitch invasion did they - bet they couldn't wait to get out and celebrate - infact all the players I saw on the pitch were loving it.

To those who are saying 'grown men running on pitch blah blah' 0 it's nice to celecrate with the players themselves in some people's view - deal with it.

THE PITCH WAS COMPLETELY CLEAR VERY, VERY QUICKLY!!!

Pathetic.

Fukin stay in the Midlands you moaning little prick.. Your wrong, as my son who is 10 asked to go on the pitch and he loved every minute of it.... and his mummy didnt see him on Sky Sports News either knobhead.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Pathetic.

You have just been promoted to the second tier of English Football, you're getting a new ground in the Summer and moving on as a club, your future looks to be very, very bright. People are happy about that, tonight wasn't a run of the mill game, it wasn't a game that meant three points and that's that, no, tonight was the game where you clinched promotion. If I heard correctly it was also the last night game at the Withdean, it was a memorable night to be a Brighton fan and it will live long in the memory of those who went on the pitch no doubt! So why not let these people enjoy the experience and make the most of it?

I'm 20 and only once since I started going to games regularly (early 2000's) have my club done anything that earned a pitch invasion, I wasn't at Plymouth that night but had I been there I would've been one of the first people on the pitch, no doubt about it. Not because I wanted on Sky Sports, not because I wanted on the back of the Sun, but because I would've wanted to celebrate our achievement in style. It's somewhat of a Football culture to invade the pitch on nights such as that night and indeed tonight and it has been for f***ing years.

Lighten up ffs.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Well I'm a middle aged mum and I was on the pitch just like I have been for every promotion since 76/77 and every other last match of the season celebration as well. Must admit I was so interested in celebrating and enjoying the moment with the other fans and with the players, who looked like they were loving every minute, that I didn't even hear Samrah's announcements to get off the pitch. Just a shame that the stewards acted like total morons yet again telling everyone to go home and that's what we deserved.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
This thread has reached spackfestery of epic proportions. Even by NSC standards.

:facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The whole thing nearly turned into a disaster with people leaving and then running back in again when the team DID come out. Whoever had that bright idea could be in trouble. I wonder what they hell the players thought when they eventually came out and half the crowd had left?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What happened? Simple. Mr Hebberd decided that the pitch invasion meant no lap of honour, because the supporters had disobeyed his instructions. Gus and the boys thought "f*** that! We've worked for this moment and we're not going to miss it".

:bowdown:
Great night,like everyone else I was delighted with the achievement of promotion but this invasion was the wrong time,was it "Look at me,I'm on TV". It showed disrespect to Gus who said in his programme notes "Stay off the pitch at the end of the match or team will not do a lap of honour".
But no,quite a few people left and missed the walkabout afterwards.You don't have to invade the pitch to show how delighted you are,but Hey Ho,it's done now...onwards and upwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here