Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phrases or sayings that are no more or should make a comeback.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Pure WW2; my Dad's war diary which he kept up as a POW in Italy and Germany strictly against all the regs, was full of "duff" references, usually to tins of food which had gone off in transit.

I would have said "Duff" is still very much in common usage. If nothing else it's in every Simpsons episode.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
You don't hear Pardon my French very much. My mum would say it on the rare occasion that she would utter a swear word; I still remember the stern looks when I said that it didn't sound very French to me.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
I thought it was 'hank', with the 'h' dropped in Sussex-slangy fashion.... like 'andsome' ferinstance.
I started to wonder if it was just something I'd heard from one group of people who'd made it up.... but perhaps it actually is that localized to only be known within a few miles of the Sussex coast.
yeah, it was 'hank' with a silent H, well ank

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At the time tried to start a campaign for some more traditional and colourful insults for use at games - poltroon, blackguard, rapscallion, hobbledy hoys and n'er do well's (Palarse definitely), spawny eyed wassock and nincompoop spring to mind.

I've used virtually all those words (apart from spawny-eyed) at one time or another. I use hobbledy hoy and ne'er-do-well very frequently.

I thought it was 'hank', with the 'h' dropped in Sussex-slangy fashion.... like 'andsome' ferinstance.
I started to wonder if it was just something I'd heard from one group of people who'd made it up.... but perhaps it actually is that localized to only be known within a few miles of the Sussex coast.

I remember that from my youth and still use it occasionally. I've never known anyone from outside Brighton admit to knowing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here