Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phrases or sayings that are no more or should make a comeback.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another vote for "chinny reckon".

And "flid", as a derogatory expression.

"Flid" was the nickname of one of my mates at school, he still gets called that occasionally.

"Gaylord" was another favourite at school although it does seem to be making a bit of a comeback

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oh and "Dime Bar"

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"Shiver me timbers!" has been reintroduced into our office at work with a modicum of success to denote a person's amazement with a particular incident that has occurred in aforesaid office. Variations also used include:

Shiver me shitlumps!
Shiver me bumcakes
Tiver me shimbers!
Shiver me cup cakes
and the all time favourite:
Shiver me shivers!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Oh and "Shiver me frickin timbers John! (or insert other name as appropriate) What the hell were you thinking?"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quick trivia question: what Albion player of the 70s was born there?

QUOTE]

A quick guess would be Norman Gall as I know he came from that area and played for the famous Wallsend Boys Club as did Alan Shearer and I think Ralph Coates.

Old sayings when asked what was for dinner my gran always used to say S..t and sugar.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
To where are you going?

To see a man about a dog.

There and back to see how far it is.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It's about two miles from where my mother lives - quite a pleasant little town.
Quick trivia question: what Albion player of the 70s was born there?

My favourite old-fashioned phrase (and one that I still use) is "as black as Newgate's knocker"

Methinks it was Harry Wilson...a full-back signed in the Clough/Taylor era...from Burnley ( ? ).....the only reason I have any memory of it is H-L-Hole....the name just stuck for years.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Up the wooden hill - wife's family use this one a lot, I'd never heard of it before then.

A couple of favourites of my Grandad's; "Cor lummee", and "You're ten-a-penny, you are"

One final one, I heard my wife's mum talking about a ****** in the woodpile some time last year, don't tend to hear that so much these days

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Methinks it was Harry Wilson...a full-back signed in the Clough/Taylor era...from Burnley ( ? ).....the only reason I have any memory of it is H-L-Hole....the name just stuck for years.

It was indeed. And when I first saw the place, that was the first thing I remembered about it. Amazing how these things stick in the mind.

Up the wooden hill - wife's family use this one a lot, I'd never heard of it before then.

A couple of favourites of my Grandad's; "Cor lummee", and "You're ten-a-penny, you are"

One final one, I heard my wife's mum talking about a ****** in the woodpile some time last year, don't tend to hear that so much these days

Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire is the full phrase, great to learn that "dubry" is still used by someone.

Try these

"Black lead and monkey shit" (reply to "what's for tea").
"Like Barney's bull....." (depending on the company the phrase may be completed with "buggered").
"Pissed/shit by the pot", or "shit and fell back in it" (update of "hoist by his own petard").
"pissed on your bonfire" (or sometimes firework).
"Like a fart in a colander (....trying to make up it's mind which hole to escape through) - ie indecisive.
"Like a pig with one ear....". untidy/lopsided.

Some of the above still heard occasionally from my dad and also an elderly Sussex farming gent of my acquaintance.

Have recalled before of the airing of "referee, that's preposterous..." at the Yeovil game earlier in the season by a fellow poster I believe. At the time tried to start a campaign for some more traditional and colourful insults for use at games - poltroon, blackguard, rapscallion, hobbledy hoys and n'er do well's (Palarse definitely), spawny eyed wassock and nincompoop spring to mind.

Great thread, hate to see some of these ancient expressions die out.

...And finally. Heard on a bus heading back from Brighton late '70's I believe. Some lads were discussing someone who they clearly didn't like and one referred to him as "...a complete chaile". Can you guess the etymology (ooooh, big words Norman) of that and let me know if it was in general use in this part of the world? Definitely not PC, probably should be spelt "Chaile".

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
ones i can remember from Btn that i've never heard anywhere else..
"that is ank"
"he's a melt"

ones i can remember from Btn that i've never heard anywhere else..
"that is ank"

I was trying to explain that to someone, about 15 years back - and they never heard of it, just thought it was ridiculous.
I thought it was 'hank', with the 'h' dropped in Sussex-slangy fashion.... like 'andsome' ferinstance.
I started to wonder if it was just something I'd heard from one group of people who'd made it up.... but perhaps it actually is that localized to only be known within a few miles of the Sussex coast.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here