Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone in

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BensGrandad said:
I fail so see how Falmer came into the equation last night. The result which was a bad one in terms of conceeding 3 goals to a lowly side like Shrewsbury from a team that has aspirations of staying in this division was undeniably bad.

Whether we get Falmer or another ground should have no baring on the manner in which the players perform on the pitch. The finances of the club and the ability to bring in new players will obviously be affected by the decision but the existing players should be performing to the best of their ability to safeguard their immediate fture as most of them will not still be playing for us when we run out at Falmer.

So, it is a pointless statement to make that anybody would rather get relegated and Falmer than stay up and not get Falmer. We NEED to stay up and get Falmer and it is only by improving what appears to be a poor defence, so far this season, will we stay up. That is in our hands the rest isnt.

What he said

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
BensGrandad said:
So, it is a pointless statement to make that anybody would rather get relegated and Falmer than stay up and not get Falmer.... and it is only by improving what appears to be a poor defence, so far this season, will we stay up
If you read again, I never said that. :dunce:
We need to score goals as well, or hasn't that entered your mind?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think this has been taken a little of context. Last night was a piss poor result that should never have happened, even given our situation, because we are much MUCH better than Shrewsbury.

The run over from the Falmer thing is to do with league performances. Our defence and goalkeeping position would be better if we were able to attract better players etc etc... The point that is being made is relegation is not the end of the world for us all the while we are Withdean, because the club generally won't lose money from gate receipts.

Falmer still is, and will continue to be the most important issue this season, until it a decision is made. Once the decision is made, then we can get on with knowing what football club we will be in the future.

And have no fear, Shrewsbury beat Everton a couple of years ago. Everton went on to finish 7th in the Premiership, Shrewsbury were relegated to the Conference. It does happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everest said:
If you read again, I never said that. :dunce:
We need to score goals as well, or hasn't that entered your mind?

Did I say that you said it? There is a general consensus of opinion that many supporters say that if getting Falmer goes hand in glove with getting relegated so be it. I fail to see the connection and cannot see why we cannot stay up and still get Falmer. Before trying to be offensive and slating me try reading properly!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Did I say that you said it? There is a general consensus of opinion that many supporters say that if getting Falmer goes hand in glove with getting relegated so be it. I fail to see the connection and cannot see why we cannot stay up and still get Falmer. Before trying to be offensive and slating me try reading properly!!

I am of the personal preference that I dont mind getting relegated IF we get Falmer, I'll just be happy to be moving to a new Ground. Of course getting Falmer AND staying up would be amazing!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seagull73 said:
I think this has been taken a little of context. Last night was a piss poor result that should never have happened, even given our situation, because we are much MUCH better than Shrewsbury.

The run over from the Falmer thing is to do with league performances. Our defence and goalkeeping position would be better if we were able to attract better players etc etc... The point that is being made is relegation is not the end of the world for us all the while we are Withdean, because the club generally won't lose money from gate receipts.

Falmer still is, and will continue to be the most important issue this season, until it a decision is made. Once the decision is made, then we can get on with knowing what football club we will be in the future.

And have no fear, Shrewsbury beat Everton a couple of years ago. Everton went on to finish 7th in the Premiership, Shrewsbury were relegated to the Conference. It does happen.

I would agree with you in general except that whether or not we get Falmer should not affect the majority of our present team because they will never play at Falmer unless they draw us in the FA Cup when they are with a non league club and the current players should be trying their hardest so that even if we do eventually become in a position to add to the squad it is not to their detriment and instead of them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Our season will start or finish on or before 31st October.

When we get the YES the buzz will shoot through the team and fans and we will probably start winning.

If, heaven forbid, we get a no even if there is a magical plan B we all know its will be a minimum of five to ten years before the first brick is lain and we could be dead and buried by then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just to throw a spanner in the works could the club have not put in outline planning permission for all of the sites and then if the council refused any used that in their case for Falmer. I wouldnt have thought that the additional cost added to the £8m already spent would have made much difference.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
BensGrandad said:
Did I say that you said it?
No, but you inferred it.
"it is a pointless statement to make that anybody would rather get relegated and Falmer"

End of :p :lolol:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I wasn't able to listen to the phone-in, what with SCR not being broadcast in Shropshire, but maybe people should take into account the context of these calls? Were the callers at the game?

For example, whilst I wouldn't ever go as far as to say i'm giving up on the Albion, I was extremely pissed off at the end of the game, and for the first time ever I didn't make any effort to aplaud the team off, just dived straight out the exit for the car.

Added to this the incident that took place outside the ground (which in many ways went to remind us that there are bigger things than the League Cup) which kept us behind an extra 45 mins, and the distance from home and the money and effort put into the trip, I think people can understandably have been incredibly angry and over-reactive last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here