Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone in

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
jimmyseagull said:
So f***ing what we lost to Shrewsbury, let them have their glory,

No glory for Shrewsbury beating Brighton I'm afraid. I expect they'd have been mightily embarassed if they hadn't managed it - they'd have been laughed at by Bristol Rovers, Lincoln, Kingstonian, and all the other lower league/non league sides that have put us out of various cup competitions over the ten years or so.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
dave the gaffer said:
No not at all!!!!!

All our finances are going to Falmer, not being spent on players to keep us in the Championship...or is that just me being cinical

Well that is correct, even more reason for staying in the championship, we know we have no money for players, so we need to make do with what we have, and i still think Mr McGhee is the right manager to keep us there.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Curious Orange said:
No glory for Shrewsbury beating Brighton I'm afraid. I expect they'd have been mightily embarassed if they hadn't managed it - they'd have been laughed at by Bristol Rovers, Lincoln, Kingstonian, and all the other lower league/non league sides that have put us out of various cup competitions over the ten years or so.

I can assure you it's more of an embarrassment to us, they havn't gone past the first round in 10 years.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
jimmyseagull said:
I can assure you it's more of an embarrassment to us, they havn't gone past the first round in 10 years.

To you maybe.

And Shrewsbury weren't even eligible to take part in the League Cup for every single one of those ten years, so the comparison isn't a realistic one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't that make it even MORE embarrassing ?

Anyway, League Cup 1st Round exits are pretty much a trademark of this club. There have been some horrifying performances and results down the years, and in a strange way, its comforting to know some things never change. I couldn't really give a toss that we're out because:

(a) I'm only bothered about staying up, and

(b) I'm on holiday when the 2nd Round is being played, and would have been mildly irritated at missing a "big tie" if its at home.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I liked the caller who said "we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury". Is he actually a Brighton fan coming out with that line? :lolol:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
To be fair time was against us as we have to fit in with set BBC schedules, but all credit to Tim Durrans for some instant editing and censoring of a huge amount of text messages.
Now if it was one specific number then I could understand but the texts all carry the number that they are sent from and I am personally astounded to see a number of people, and I talking well into double figures, already turning on Mark McGhee.
DTG makes the point about a large amount of money going on Falmer and what do you know I actually find myself agreeing with London Irish when I think staying in this league is a big part of the new stadium.
But trawling through 50 or so texts coming in in the psace of mia few minutes what do people expect?
If they look at the Virgo and Harding money and think its going to go on players then they need to think again, the overwhelming majority of it has already gone out of the door, along with a large amount of the season ticket money, directly to the Inland Revenue.
But then if that stops potential winding up petitions and a return to the High Court appearences of the early/mid 1990's then so be it.
I still beleive in Mark McGhee, I still beleive we won't go down, it won't be a cakewalk but I maintain we won't go down.
And as for 'fans' calling for DK to sack the manager, well who are you going to go for after McGhee?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Harty said:
And as for 'fans' calling for DK to sack the manager, well who are you going to go for after McGhee?
Hinsh of course, or don't you believe in Ernest? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Some of the callers was like listening to Steve Brookstein's greatest hits - waiting but nothing constructive coming out.

We will be OK in the end. Staying in the Championship is important, but getting Falmer is more so. If we go down, I could live with that as long as we get the "YES".

Last edited:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
There is a positive to come from this you know! Always, always after a defeat like this the players feel they have a point to prove and i can assure you of a win against Preston.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
dave the gaffer said:
Agreed

Harry Wilson used to rush up the wing and didnt have the fitness to get back!!!! Moan moan moan

dont get me started about Neil Mcnab

Go on get started about Neil McNab...go on you know you want to.

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Everest said:
Hinsh of course, or don't you believe in Ernest? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Some of the callers was like listening to Steve Brookstein's greatest hits - waiting but nothing constuctive coming out.

We will be OK in the end. Staying in the Championship is important, but getting Falmer is more so. If we go down, I could live with that as long as we get the "YES".

I'll second that....

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
magoo said:
There is a positive to come from this you know! Always, always after a defeat like this the players feel they have a point to prove and i can assure you of a win against Preston.
But Preston lost to Barnsley, so they will also be feeling the same.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It is embarrassing - but I'm going to put on my rose coloured glasses and have a little faith, faith that this is a period of new players getting to know each other, faith that McGhee is just as annoyed as we are and is challenging and motivating our boys to come up with something better....

People are entitled to their own opinion but sometimes I think it could be voiced more as constructive criticsm instead of the personal insults people seem so happy to hurl....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
jimmyseagull said:
Can't believe the tossers that are coming on and saying to Harty that they aren't gonna support Brighton anymore after tonights game. f*** OFF YOU WANKERS.

Ipswich fans should do the same, they lost 2-0 at home to YoEvil and cost me a possible £16 :angry:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
magoo said:
You must be the bloke Ian Hart was slagging of a couple of weeks ago.
Wrong. Where did I say I wanted us to go down?

Going down and getting the go ahead for Falmer is better (marginally) than staying up and having the stadium turned down.
If JP says "no", then how much more money is it going to cost to get approval for a stadium elsewhere? Money that the club haven't got, considering how much it's cost so far. And how long would it take?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Everest said:
Wrong. Where did I say I wanted us to go down?

Going down and getting the go ahead for Falmer is better (marginally) than staying up and having the stadium turned down.
If JP says "no", then how much more money is it going to cost to get approval for a stadium elsewhere? Money that the club haven't got, considering how much it's cost so far. And how long would it take?

agreed, I'd rather us go down and get Falmer. Either way if he screws us over and says theres NO viable alternative and Falmer sucks then we're screwed....BHA are dead and you mongrels moaning about Shrewsbury will wonder WHY you moaned about a petty cola cup game in the first place....'NUFF SAID!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fail so see how Falmer came into the equation last night. The result which was a bad one in terms of conceeding 3 goals to a lowly side like Shrewsbury from a team that has aspirations of staying in this division was undeniably bad.

Whether we get Falmer or another ground should have no baring on the manner in which the players perform on the pitch. The finances of the club and the ability to bring in new players will obviously be affected by the decision but the existing players should be performing to the best of their ability to safeguard their immediate fture as most of them will not still be playing for us when we run out at Falmer.

So, it is a pointless statement to make that anybody would rather get relegated and Falmer than stay up and not get Falmer. We NEED to stay up and get Falmer and it is only by improving what appears to be a poor defence, so far this season, will we stay up. That is in our hands the rest isnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here