Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone In Thread - Huddersfield

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
why the HELL is this guy going on about the bbc televising west ham v man city?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
why isnt hart on the 2008 calendar - possibly because it is likely he will only be here for 6 months of 2008

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like Harty but must disagree with one comment. He said the bench has about 100 years football experience on it. Where and who? Wilkins was a third/second division player. Chapman was the same and White is reputedly good at mending TVs so where does all this league experience come from.

We act as a club and on the field like an amateur/county league team.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I like Harty but must disagree with one comment. He said the bench has about 100 years football experience on it. Where and who? Wilkins was a third/second division player. Chapman was the same and White is reputedly good at mending TVs so where does all this league experience come from.

I just can't help but have the feeling you would be much happier supporting some other team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just can't help but have the feeling you would be much happier supporting some other team.

I have been supporting them for over 60 years not going to change now. I have seen some very good teams and some bad teams this one is very mediocre and huffing and puffing their way through the fixtures.

All our previous good managers have had a good assistant why should Wilkins be different.

As has been said many times on this thread and others White wasa TV saleman and non league manager, Chapman managed a County league side, this is Wilkins first senior managerial job why should he have to struggle through on his own. Could we not afford to employ somebody with experience to help him.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
BG maybe the "100 years" line was a overestimation, but there is plenty of experience on that bench, Both Dean played from the early 80's, so that's nearly 60 years and Chappers is mid 80's, so that puts it up near 90 years.

On another note can I say how impressed I am with the new MD Ken Brown, he is in my opinion a real asset to the Albion.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wilkins played under Lloyd and that's probably why he's lacking in the area of tactical substitutions/ Lloyd never used them.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
please expand

I find him really approachable and level headed, he's not a spin doctor or bullshit merchant and he realises the phone-in is sometimes going to be a bit contentious and when it is there is no flouncing or paranoia.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

And that Wenger only ever played 12 professional games in his entire career what the hell is he doing managing Arsenal? And I wouldn't let Mourinho near any team either I mean he spent his entire career playing for amateur teams.

Whereas Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore had 211 England caps between them and had such glittering and successful management careers after.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I find him really approachable and level headed, he's not a spin doctor or bullshit merchant and he realises the phone-in is sometimes going to be a bit contentious and when it is there is no flouncing or paranoia.

Whereas someone else reacts with paranoia and flouncing? Who?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whereas someone else reacts with paranoia and flouncing? Who?

can't think! but maybe he hasn't come in for any stick yet.

good to read what Harty writes but would like to find out where KB's efforts have been focused and the results.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
can't think! but maybe he hasn't come in for any stick yet.

But Tim I honestly believe that if or when he does he won't 'go into one' as he knows its all part of the game.

I know I will get slated in certain quarters for bringing it up but I'm going to anyway, despite our numeorus run ins over the years and the recent content of parts of the phone-in, Dick Knight still took the time and trouble to come over to my party from Chestnut Tree House in the board room today and chat to me and the 5 youngsters and their parents, one of the parents who listens to the show commented how refreshing it was that whatever disagreements Dick and I might have had. no-one in our party today would have realised this.

And while I'm on thanks to everyone at the club for looking after the boys today, especially Sally for sorting it all out and Joan in the board room.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know I will get slated in certain quarters for bringing it up but I'm going to anyway, despite our numeorus run ins over the years and the recent content of parts of the phone-in, Dick Knight still took the time and trouble to come over to my party from Chestnut Tree House in the board room today and chat to me and the 5 youngsters and their parents, one of the parents who listens to the show commented how refreshing it was that whatever disagreements Dick and I might have had. no-one in our party today would have realised this.

Are you surprised Dick did this, as the fact that you've written this suggests that you might have expected DK to give your group a wide berth. I wouldn't have expected anything other than what you've described.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
"Car crash radio" according to Knight in the programme.

Bit harsh!

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Are you surprised Dick did this, as the fact that you've written this suggests that you might have expected DK to give your group a wide berth. I wouldn't have expected anything other than what you've described.

You misunderstand me Darren, a number of the 'high profile' supporters have often eluded to my love hate relationship with DK, they say I and a number of others have a hidden agenda, that I don't like the man and have no respect for him, and the truth is far from it.
I'm actually of the opinion and in fact have been told by people within the club and close to him that he has lot of respect for the work I do*, he may not agree with some of the output, he may sometimes get a bit fractious but don't we all.
With all due respect to one of my colleagues, but does he enjoy the same relationship with Tony Millard?

*Clearly professionally this is the case as he has recomended me to look after a couple of bereaved families in the Brighton area.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here