Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone In Thread (16/12/06) Merged]

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why are Albion fans such miserable bastards? We get a good result at a tough place and all people want to talk about are rumours in a sunday newspaper and some rubbish about transfers that people say on here. And as for the bloke about Falmer he was just plain strange where did that come from

ali jenkins said:
Dont get me wrong, what happened was shocking and should never have been allowed to happen but boycotting the road is not going to change much is it?

I didnt go to many games at the goldstone, and i didnt really know much about what was happening as i was only 10 when it happened, mabie thats why i cant understand all these people boycotting it.

Just my opinion though, sorry if i offended anyone!

I understand, but for some of us older fans The Goldstone was magical, driving past makes me so angry I just want to f***ing kill them 3 wankers who tried to destroy our club.

I am now calm and cool, I am off to The Elms to get plastered
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
Harty's promise to say something NICE about me on the phone-in turned out to be nothing more than him claiming - quite incorrectly - that I had said on NSC that the sale of players would be justified if the money went to the Falmer campaign.

I said nothing of the sort.

For Ian's benefit what I said was:-

Capisce?

So what time is Harty coming round for Sunday tea then :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
ali jenkins said:
People who wont go past the goldstone now are a little sad are they not?

Thats me and several hundred others then, comrade.

Say it loud, I'm sad and I'm proud!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
He's also promised to buy me a drink on Boxing Day.

I'm looking forward to cup of Withdean Bovril.

He'll have a bit of a walk from the North Stand then :lolol:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
ali jenkins said:

It's like meeting people again you haven't seen for years - you lose your memories of them then. I'm very happy with my memories of The Goldstone and don't want them replaced with some crappy retail park thanks very much.

Brightonfan1983 said:
It's like meeting people again you haven't seen for years - you lose your memories of them then. I'm very happy with my memories of The Goldstone and don't want them replaced with some crappy retail park thanks very much.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Lord Bracknell said:
Harty's promise to say something NICE about me on the phone-in turned out to be nothing more than him claiming - quite incorrectly - that I had said on NSC that the sale of players would be justified if the money went to the Falmer campaign.

I said nothing of the sort.

For Ian's benefit what I said was:-

Originally posted by Lord Bracknell
The financial crisis at the moment isn't so much about "Falmer" as the half million pounds across the season that we are losing because crowds are so small.

"Kids for a Quid" won't solve that problem. A tempting offer for one player would.

I hope no-one's expecting the money from the WHU game to be spent on anything other than plugging a budget deficit.

Capisce?

The dough from the WHU game is fair enough to place into the deficit hole. What must not happen though, is to diminish the crowds once again by flogging off members of a happy and successful team. Kids, and adults too, won't want to pay two bob to see a side without passion, and without the talent on board to have a go. Cox is integral to this present happy and confident team - and replacing him would cost a whole lot more than 250,000....especially if the gates dwindle again.

Let's face one fact here - DK answered the crowd's call to change things, and just in time to stem the tide of discontent. We used to attain 20 to 30,000 crowds with a team that had spirit, and laugh at those who didn't see the games at the Goldstone in the 70's. Those people went somewhere, and can come back and fight over tickets when they hear they are missing out on this Albion team.
I feel like something of a spokesman for the disappeared because (and I confess) I was fading from interest a short couple of months back.
Those Albion tickets for Withdean, are fast becoming worth buying again. Better don't change that, not now. ???

NMH said:
The dough from the WHU game is fair enough to place into the deficit hole. What must not happen though, is to diminish the crowds once again by flogging off members of a happy and successful team. Kids, and adults too, won't want to pay two bob to see a side without passion, and without the talent on board to have a go. Cox is integral to this present happy and confident team - and replacing him would cost a whole lot more than 250,000....especially if the gates dwindle again.

Let's face one fact here - DK answered the crowd's call to change things, and just in time to stem the tide of discontent. We used to attain 20 to 30,000 crowds with a team that had spirit, and laugh at those who didn't see the games at the Goldstone in the 70's. Those people went somewhere, and can come back and fight over tickets when they hear they are missing out on this Albion team.
I feel like something of a spokesman for the disappeared because (and I confess) I was fading from interest a short couple of months back.
Those Albion tickets for Withdean, are fast becoming worth buying again. Better don't change that, not now. ???

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. Totally.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
ali jenkins said:

No, just sickened by what happened all those years ago

Do you remember those times or are you one of Albion's younger fans? ???

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
No, just sickened by what happened all those years ago

Do you remember those times or are you one of Albion's younger fans? ???

Im 20 in January mate so I cant really remember much of the history of the Goldstone.

I knew that obviously people are upset about it but I obviously underestimated just how much!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
ali jenkins said:
Im 20 in January mate so I cant really remember much of the history of the Goldstone.

I knew that obviously people are upset about it but I obviously underestimated just how much!

Then if you don't remember, don't make statements about people being 'sad' for being extremely annoyed whenever they have to go past the old ground :shootself

Lord Bracknell said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. Totally.

In the US, about eight years ago, I had a bet with a bloke from Wisconsin. I had seen only a few moments of play, a few passes and touchdowns by The Green Bay Packers. They were traditionally a selling club, a ne'er do well outfit that always shambled to make up the numbers. I saw something in a few highlights that just woke me to their spirit and the co-ordination of their passes. Instinctual.

There is, I think you'll agree, something special about this Brighton team now. I've seen it before, and in many other sports too - a certain something you cannot put your finger on, an aura you can sense, that pervades the field, that exudes from somewhere, that shines like a beacon above the game. There's a smell of desire, and that will add up to success again for The Albion.

Wilkins is concise and exacting with his words, and I hear a professional manager speaking sense.

Maybe this is an early day to be making ascertations or predictions, but the signs are right. There will have to be some bolstering done occasionally, according to progression - and we'll only gain ground by meeting with the quality of the better players and performers in the squad.
I just don't see the point in allowing the best to move, and reducing the squad - and especially not now.

NMH said:
The Green Bay Packers. They were traditionally a selling club, a ne'er do well outfit that always shambled to make up the numbers.

Hardly a ne'er do well outfit....

On. January 28, when team president Dominic Olejniczak recommended to the committee a little-known New York Giants assistant, longtime committee member John Torinus replied, "Who the hell is Vince Lombardi?"

Dominic Olejniczak
The committee, and the world, quickly found out. Within hours after his arrival on February 2, Lombardi told the committee, "I want it understood that I am in complete command here." Two days later, the Packers officially gave Lombardi both titles.

In his first season, 1959, Lombardi went 7-5, winning unanimous 'Coach of the Year' recognition. Then in 1960, the Packers captured the Western Division title, only to lose the NFL title game at Philadelphia. However, Lombardi rebounded to win world championships in 1961, '62, '65, '66, and '67.

His teams finished no lower than second from 1960-67 and became the standard of football excellence. Lombardi in nine years went 98-30-4 (.758), including 9-1 in postseason, winning his final nine playoff games.

:wave:

I know we're going back a bit:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It would be a real tragedy to break up this young team at present.

If we are not in the play-offs this year (which I doubt) we can definitely be in with a chance next season.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Beach Hut said:
It would be a real tragedy to break up this young team at present.

If we are not in the play-offs this year (which I doubt) we can definitely be in with a chance next season.

Get Ernest to sell his bum that would get all of 23p

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
John Lees refuses to go past the Goldstone and he is a legend. :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here