Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philosophy Today: What does Brighton & Hove mean to you?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Croydonbloke said:
Brighton is NOT the gay capital of the world. Silly boy. Yes it bloody well is.

It really isn't you know.

Croydon might be the violent crime capital of the world though.

Last edited:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Ive just moved back to Brighton after 4 years in London. Im still commuting to London for work - only 2 weeks in but the enjoyment knowing that ill end up in Brighton with its diversity and culture alongside being able to see the sea from my flat makes it all worthwhile. How anyone can attempt to put Croydon even close to the arse of Brighton is beyond me. Some people are f***ing stupid.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brighton means diversity and security. My nephew and friends who lived near Camberley, were aged about 14, and had pony-tails and Nirvana t-shirts loved Brighton as they always felt safe walking around - which they never did in Camberley/Woking/Reading etc.

It has always been a tolerant town, and long may it remain so.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lets clear up this Brighton gay bullshit myth for once and for all.

There is no higher percentage of men who are born and live in Brighton becoming gay than anywhere else in the country. The fact that Brighton is the gay capitol of Britain is that the town is open and liberal and tolerant of gay people. Because of this people from all over the UK have come and lived in Brighton because they can benefit from liberal minded people who will accept them. Hence there are more gays in Brighton per capita than anywhere else. DO YOU UNDERTSTAND !.

This is to Brighton's credit , not a stick to beat Brighton fans with as if it is something bad anyway.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know only one gay who lives in Brighton who was brought up there, I went to school with him. The rest of them moved there because it's cool and tolerant. Which a) improves the quality of restaurants and delicatessens in Kemp Town no end and b) leaves more birds for the rest of us. Win-win.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Some of my best clients are gay

DINK's

Double
Income
No
Kids

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Uncle Spielberg said:
Lets clear up this Brighton gay bullshit myth for once and for all.

There is no higher percentage of men who are born and live in Brighton becoming gay than anywhere else in the country. The fact that Brighton is the gay capitol of Britain is that the town is open and liberal and tolerant of gay people. Because of this people from all over the UK have come and lived in Brighton because they can benefit from liberal minded people who will accept them. Hence there are more gays in Brighton per capita than anywhere else. DO YOU UNDERTSTAND !.

This is to Brighton's credit , not a stick to beat Brighton fans with as if it is something bad anyway.
Blimey, that is a flounce. Point is, no-one ever claimed Brighton's natives were all gay, just that it is a city well tolerant of a gay culture, with a large population taking advantage.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you ever been to a brighton game with the opposition chanting

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Brighton is NOT the gay capital of the world. Silly boy. Yes it bloody well is.

Stoney beach saves washing sand out of your arse. Ermmm which is quite handy. "

Did you miss that TLO ?.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Uncle Spielberg said:
" Brighton is NOT the gay capital of the world. Silly boy. Yes it bloody well is.

Stoney beach saves washing sand out of your arse. Ermmm which is quite handy. "

Did you miss that TLO ?.
No, I saw it.

I told him the truth and he can't handle it. That's his problem. Lobotomies are a season ticket requirement at Selhurst Park, and he is just showing us the effects of it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough :thumbsup:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Silent Bob said:
It really isn't you know.

Croydon might be the violent crime capital of the world though.
Maybe it is. At least I would admit it but you can`t even recognise what goes on around you.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I have to say, Brighton, much as I love it can really get on my wick sometimes.

There's only so many parties you can go to and have someone say "Oooh I've never met someone actually from Brighton before."

There's only so many times you can go out on a session and get turned away from clubs and bars in your home town cos it's for Students.

There's only so many times you can go into town on a weekend to buy something and have to fight the crowds of daytrippers and weekenders.

There's only so many times you can look through the property pages and not weep cos you'll know when you choose to settle you ain't gonna be doing it in the place you were born in.

If it wasn't for the, increasingly few, things and places for Locals not incomers, ( The Albion being the main one) I would lose all familiarity with the place and leave for good.

Brighton is just a very nice place to live, tolerance is a very underrated virtue and brighton has this in abundance.

If you want to have a nice pint, eat some good food, see a band, watch the world in all its weirdness walk by, and all within 10-20 minutes of your front door, I cannot think of a better place in the UK in which to do it.

How anyone could seriously prefer living in croydump is beyond me.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was born and raised in Brighton. After 26 years I left to live in Leeds. I've now lived in Leeds for nearly 14 years.

Brighton means home to me as well. Infact it will always be home.

When I speak to people, they usually say "oh I'd love to live there". It really has so many things going for it.

The only downside is it takes so long to get anything new built. Black rock, library (although now finally built), ice skating rink, West Pier and of course Falmer stadium.

NSC and Brighton & Hove Albion are my links to home.

I love them both

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here