Petrol, Tesco-Morrison,s

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well according to 'THE NEWS' motorists are buying 'dirty' petrol unknown to themselves. Thus causing the car to stall/cut-out ? :albion:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I live in WALES, so all hunky dory here:p

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
you buy cheep you expect problems innit, its been the same since day 1

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think it's been mixed with ethanol. it's ruining engine management systems.

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
Leekbrookgull said:
Please explain,MOWCTOPS.:wave: :albion:

Cheep Fuel will not have as many hydrocarbons as the more expensive 'decent' fuel ..

Also the cheaper fuel sellers generally skip on the added extras in their fuel like :-
* octane-enhancing additives ( improve octane ratings )
* anti-oxidants ( inhibit gum formation, improve stability )
* metal deactivators ( inhibit gum formation, improve stability )
* deposit modifiers ( reduce deposits, spark-plug fouling and preignition )
* surfactants ( prevent icing, improve vaporisation, inhibit deposits, reduce NOx emissions )
* freezing point depressants ( prevent icing )
* corrosion inhibitors ( prevent gasoline corroding storage tanks )
* dyes ( product colour for safety or regulatory purposes ).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dougdeep said:
I think it's been mixed with ethanol. it's ruining engine management systems.

Bloke on radio said all fuel has ethanol in it, it's permitted to add up to 5% ethanol.

I guess the problem could be that too much ethanol has been added...

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
Bozza said:
Bloke on radio said all fuel has ethanol in it, it's permitted to add up to 5% ethanol.

I guess the problem could be that too much ethanol has been added...

depends if theres more than 5% dunnit ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I heard this on the radio this evening. Trading Standards are investigating because they've had 75 complaints where motorists had to have oxygen sensors replaced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having done a quick Google, it seems elsewhere in the world, petrol can be up to 10% ethanol. So if the limit is 5% here and too much ethanol is the problem here, then they've really overdone it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There are meant to be thousands affected, some as far North as Yorkshire.

HHSeagull

Aug 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I have been effected by this and my car is currently in the garage waiting for a replacement Oxygen Sensor - the part damaged by the contaminated fuel. The cost of repair is likely to cost me around £200.

I live in Haywards Heath and purchased my 'bad' petrol at an ASDA store in Hollingbury.

I bought the petrol on 14th Feb and it started behaving strangley from the moment I pulled away from the forecourt.

I bet people will come and and say you shouldn't buy petrol from ASDA anyway, because it's probably the shitest quality stuff at the best of times. But being skint, as I always am, the fact that it's at least 3p cheaper to buy it there than anywhere else has always (until now) made it the best option.

I've contacted both Trading Standards and BBC's Watchdog about the problem and intend to get in touch with ASDA tomorrow. However, current news reports suggest that the supermarkets (Tesco & Morrison have also been mentioned) are not taking any responsiblity for the problem at present.

Anyone else had a problem after buying the stuff at ASDA in Hollingbury?

Cheers,

Seagull :angry:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Wow,MOWTCHOPS. Thanks. However if this fuel was carried by ship ? Could seawater be leaking into the fuel ? Then when it is pumped out into Tanker-Lorries. Would it get picked-up ? :albion:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Heard the Tesco spokesman on the radio earlier and I wouldn't say they were refusing to take responsibility, more that their tests have so far shown nothing abnormal at all.

By all accounts it's unleaded petrol and cars that are older than 3 years of age that have been affected in the main.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here