Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition to get Hart & Hawes reinstated

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This whole thing is a joke. Hart and Hawes are great. They used a phrase in all innocence and people have taken it to mean that they don't like disabled people. Astonishing and sad world we live in. I suspect Ian Hart does more for the sick and disabled than anyone else on this board. If he loses his role on the radio it will be disgraceful. And the same goes for Hawes.

SCR keep them, and stick two fingers up at the pc brigade who latch onto anything.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
This whole thing is a joke. Hart and Hawes are great. They used a phrase in all innocence and people have taken it to mean that they don't like disabled people. Astonishing and sad world we live in. I suspect Ian Hart does more for the sick and disabled than anyone else on this board. If he loses his role on the radio it will be disgraceful. And the same goes for Hawes.

SCR keep them, and stick two fingers up at the pc brigade who latch onto anything.

How on earth did they use it in all innocence? I am sure they dont dislike disabled people but you CANT say that kind of thing on the Radio full stop.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

All well and good, but it's not Harts first time for having to apologise on air for 'throwaway' comments. Maybe the BBC have had enough? MENCAP are a powerful lobby and I think the BBC wouldn't want this to escalate nationally (although The Telegraph have picked it up already) and maybe think that Hart is disposable for a minority audience show? Just an outsiders POV.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
All well and good, but it's not Harts first time for having to apologise on air for 'throwaway' comments. Maybe the BBC have had enough? MENCAP are a powerful lobby and I think the BBC wouldn't want this to escalate and maybe think that Hart is disposable? Just an outsiders POV.

More than likely, it's not like he's Alan Green now is it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All well and good, but it's not Harts first time for having to apologise on air for 'throwaway' comments. Maybe the BBC have had enough? MENCAP are a powerful lobby and I think the BBC wouldn't want this to escalate and maybe think that Hart is disposable? Just an outsiders POV.

There was 2000 people at the game.

Probably 200 listening to the phone-in.

No more than 20 FAKING outrage on NSC.

Oh, and a careerist Argus journalist.

Shameful.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All well and good, but it's not Harts first time for having to apologise on air for 'throwaway' comments. Maybe the BBC have had enough? MENCAP are a powerful lobby and I think the BBC wouldn't want this to escalate nationally (although The Telegraph have picked it up already) and maybe think that Hart is disposable for a minority audience show? Just an outsiders POV.

For goodness sakes though. What harm has he done. I mean this whole thing absurb. If he gets the sack for that the worlds gone mad and is just enough knife in the heart of this country. I really truly don't understand any of this nonsense.

Can someone explain to me why the BBC commissions work from Ricky Gervais (who by the way I am a big fan of) then? or the many other comedians that take the mickey out the disabled and sick? Harty wasn't even doing that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There was 2000 people at the game.

Probably 200 listening to the phone-in.

No more than 20 FAKING outrage on NSC.

Oh, and a careerist Argus journalist.

Shameful.

Totally right. THis is the most shameful episode I have heard of in a long long time.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
For goodness sakes though. What harm has he done.

Example:
Would you say the same, if I was sitting next to you at a match and called a player (a rascist comment) even though there might be more than one player I might be directing that at?. Would you defend me, my right to a throwaway comment even though I was insulting someone although no one specific.

I guess this is the angle the BBC are approaching it from?

I'm not defending or supporting Hart or Hawes. I'm just trying to see how the BBC are approaching it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Example:
Would you say the same, if I was sitting next to you at a match and called a player (a rascist comment) even though there might be more than one player I might be directing that at?. Would you defend me, my right to a throwaway comment even though I was insulting someone although no one specific.

I'm not defending or supporting Hart or Hawes. I'm just trying to see how the BBC are approaching it.

Why are you trying to though? What point does it serve? Other than to annoy everyone like me that's incredibly p***** off by this ridiculous outrage. It's a democracy - if I want to call someone a spastic, as we all did years ago, and then someone wants to argue it's not nice and they convince me so then that's the way to do it. Not sack someone over a phrase 9/10's of people had never heard of before Thursday morning.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Example:

Well in your world then perhaps the BBC should show some consistancy and not screen episodes of little britain or extras where downs syndrome children are called mongloids.

If this sort of comment deserves a sacking then 50% of the BBC's output would be threatened.

Its about time people got a grip and had a real look at what they are getting so worked up over.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Example:

That is very different though. That would be you shouting abuse to offend someone. Hart and Hawes actions were a slip of the tongue and I know there was no malice intended whatsoever towards disabled people.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Why are you trying to though? What point does it serve? Other than to annoy everyone like me that's incredibly p***** off by this ridiculous outrage. It's a democracy - if I want to call someone a spastic, as we all did years ago, and then someone wants to argue it's not nice and they convince me so then that's the way to do it. Not sack someone over a phrase 9/10's of people had never heard of before Thursday morning.

True, we are living in a democracy, but we have moral standards, more specifically, the BBC have a set of guidelines which they and their presenters sign up to in able to broadcast.

Well in your world then perhaps the BBC should show some consistancy and not screen episodes of little britain or extras where downs syndrome children are called mongloids.

If this sort of comment deserves a sacking then 50% of the BBC's output would be threatened.

Its about time people got a grip and had a real look at what they are getting so worked up over.

Agree with you about double standards at work within the BBC. I for one think it's outrageous some of the things that the BBC have got away with in respect to disabled people.

That is very different though. That would be you shouting abuse to offend someone. Hart and Hawes actions were a slip of the tongue and I know there was no malice intended whatsoever towards disabled people.

Maybe my analogy wasn't a very good one, but as per my comments above the BBC have to keep in line with Ofcom's guidelines.

I don't believe this particular episode will lead to any dismissals, maybe final warnings and an 'Official' apology will suffice.

Edit: According to a leak here on NSC Harty has been dismissed.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
What is annoying me about this is the 'heat of the moment' excuse. I'm gonna go and shout the N word at a bunch of black school kids. Don't worry though, it will be in the heat of the moment so totally excusable.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Bring them back

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Reinstate them both as soon as possible. Saturday afternoons won't be the same without them. We have all been guilty of the occasional lapse and Harty and Hawsey are only human.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Storm in a teacup - the world has gone completely bloody mad.
I'm not much of a fan of Ian Hart but this is just political correctness gone mad.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What is annoying me about this is the 'heat of the moment' excuse. I'm gonna go and shout the N word at a bunch of black school kids. Don't worry though, it will be in the heat of the moment so totally excusable.

Les, if you shout at them that you're a Nonce they might run away before you catch them though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've now mentioned the phrase "window lickers" to five people in the context of this shattering news. Not ONE of them has known what the FRIG a "windowlicker" is. I have literally had to explain it (and demonstrate it with one of them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here