Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter ward 36 goals under threat

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No they weren't - Nobby took all the pens didn't he? Well that's what my memory tells me.

Nobby took most of the pens , Wardy took some as well.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Unless he was living in a monastery, surely Wardy was also part of that lifestyle? To bang 36 League and cup goals while boozing after a match and eating steak before a game shows great ability...

According to Wardy's autobiography the boozing often occured the night before a game as well!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Nobby took most of the pens , Wardy took some as well.

Do you know what, my first reaction was you are wrong. So I went and checked in the old 'Seagulls!' book and sure enough in that season, 76/77, Wardy scored 4 pens, Nobby also scored 4 and Graham Cross scored the other two. Funny how your brain remembers things differently - though my excuse is that I was only 8 at the time.

I bow to your superior knowledge, oh wise one. Though as you live in Grimsby, I can't work out how wise you really are!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Jeez this is a bit premature isn't it?!?!

Going by your rationale, GG should be hitting double figures in goals scored and OGs by the end of the season!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What has the leading Championship scorer reached in recent seasons? Has anybody come even close to 36?

I think not.

D

Deleted member 2719

Penalties DON'T COUNT!
Why is one rule for one and another rule for everyone else!?

Free kicks then???

No i'd love to see it but a tough ask, if he did that would make him a all time great,in this competitive league

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course penalties count! I bet that more often than not, it was Ward that was upended for us to get the spot kick.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Since 1977 Peter wards record of 36 goals in a season still stands until maybe this season , all records are there to be broken and with
CMS on 4 goals already and in great form who knows ( that's if we can keep norwich at bay in January)
42 league games left plus an FA cup run
Come on Macca only 32 goals needed :thumbsup:

He'll be doing exceptionally well if he scores 25 and really well if he scores 20. 36 is completely out of reach in this league.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Penalties DON'T COUNT!
Why is one rule for one and another rule for everyone else!?

As already said, yes they do. They have ALWAYS counted! Let's say we are nil nil with palace and get an injury time penalty. CMS steps up and scores.....does it count?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think people (ok, a person, but I'm being generous!) are getting confused because penalties scored in shoot-outs don't count, penalties in the course of a normal game have always counted (afaik).

Anyway, back to the thread title, it's a tall order but I think CMS might come close this year (although I expect him to finish with 20-something, and I think we'll all be chuffed to bits with that)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
CMS would be about FIFTH choice penalty taker, after Barnes, Vicente, Dobbie and Hammond.

Hammond had a brilliant record in his first spell here.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No disrespect to Magic but the 36 goals were scored against Division 3 opposition 35 years ago , when the players fitness regime was often marred by a bad diet , fags and the celebratory boozing after a win or draw.

The most disgraceful, insulting, disrespectful & ignorant post I have ever seen on NSC, you should hang your head in shame

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
No disrespect to Magic but the 36 goals were scored against Division 3 opposition 35 years ago , when the players fitness regime was often marred by a bad diet , fags and the celebratory boozing after a win or draw.

Those were the days. Whilst I would never argue that football today is played in much better stadia, by far fitter players on carpets of pitches with very little trouble at games, in a family environment for everyone to enjoy. There was a sort of working class pride in the game back then, the game was so much more real and in touch with the real world and fans. Was it better??? For some most certainly, for others probably not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're 4 games into the season. FOUR.

How exactly does that show that Peter Ward's season high total is under threat? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here