Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Walton Embarrassment or Cheat?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As much as it looked like a terrible refereeing display, let's put it into perspective. You will see this each and every week up and down the country where the ref has quite literally had a 'blinder', in the sense of them not seeing anything correctly. Walton has just played one. There are many examples, one that clearly sticks in my mind was the Chelsea v Barca ECL semi at the Bridge two or three years ago where Chelsea had 4 stonewalls waved away. The ref never did another ECL game I believe. Lampards 'goal' v Germany in the World Cup. Maradona's 'hand of God'. The 'goal' Spurs scored v Man Utd at OT again a few years ago. The incident in a Reading game (last season?) where a goal was given for hitting the side netting. Players not being sent off after a second yellow, has happened more than once. You could mention a couple of hundred such incidents and this is not exclusive to us. There will be times when a poor showing has gained us 3 points, it is swings and roundabouts. Obviously the first pen was laughable, the second was one of those that could have gone either way and it went against us. But to be fair there were a couple of other 50/50 decisions for pens that went in our favour.

Get over it guys, it's the nature of the business. No-one is infallible and in the context of football that is players and officials.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
I say again. It is not the obvious error that matters (even though it quite clearly changed the game), it is the fact that Walton has obviously seen the replay and will have come to the same conclusion as everybody else that giving the first pen was an absolute howler.

Why oh why though, cannot refs admit their error by apologising to all and sundry for getting it so badly wrong, afterwards. Players speak out, managers speak out, fans that pay the money speak out..........but the bloody refs are allowed to crawl back under their stone.

A simple apology when it is so obvious it is all that is required.............. and we move on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It shows signs of weakness, that players and managers alike will manipulate in future games [MENTION=710]BatterSeagull[/MENTION]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but the bloody refs are allowed to crawl back under their stone.

It's not so much that they are allowed to crawl back under their stone, they are instructed to by the refs union. They can get in trouble for talking to the media.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
And that's a prem ref too, disgrace. I do think that we were lucky to get away without conceding a couple of other pens.

Had our manager and assistant manager not been such twats over the last couple of days I think we may well have approached the FA about that decision.

Excellent. We would only have lost 2-0

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I say again. It is not the obvious error that matters (even though it quite clearly changed the game), it is the fact that Walton has obviously seen the replay and will have come to the same conclusion as everybody else that giving the first pen was an absolute howler.

Why oh why though, cannot refs admit their error by apologising to all and sundry for getting it so badly wrong, afterwards. Players speak out, managers speak out, fans that pay the money speak out..........but the bloody refs are allowed to crawl back under their stone.

A simple apology when it is so obvious it is all that is required.............. and we move on.

Because the ref;s decision is FINAL. What is there to discuss???????

It's like appealing over a failed driving test. It won't go anywhere

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not only wasn't it not a foul, but Dunk was not going for the ball. He was moving back in a defensive position because there two Albion players on the ball anyway. Fonte deliberately ran into him and then made an outrageous performance by sticking both of his arms out and fallling over.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting that the match report in the 'Goal' footie supplement of todays The Times is mainly about Marcos Painter accusing the Ref of using foul and abusive language before dismissing Tanno for a similar offence - while only the final sentence of the report mentions that Lambert got a hat trick, ha ha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here