Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Walton Embarrassment or Cheat?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Yo ain't no-ing enuff yoof culture init Grandad. Ya Benny :rolleyes: :moo: (I have no idea what putting a cow's head means, but it seems all the rage at the moment, so why not)

:moo: Is i down wiz the kids innit?

I am wearing a nice jumper today though :lol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fact is Dunk and Greer are trying these little pulls and nudges too much for my liking. Refs do notice this kind of thing and it builds up in their heads until they think to themselves "next time I'll give it". It caught up with us this time. End of.

Obviously havn't played football...or watched other defenders ...attackers etc....it's not a fekin game of netball!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Obviously havn't played football...or watched other defenders ...attackers etc....it's not a fekin game of netball!

Played and watched Albion for 45 years. Gradually watched the cheating, diving and behavoiur get worse making it almost impossible for referees. It wasn't a game of netball in the 60's,70's and 80's either but they were much harder men and they didn't resort to cheating then. Everything has a cause and effect We've a couple of dudious penalties due to falling over easily awarded in our favour recently. Can't have it both ways.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Swearing at a referee, regardless of the shitness of the original decision, and leaving his team mates to face the league leaders with ten men?

That was in the heat of the moment where we'd been done by a very poor and inaccurate decision by the ref. It's hardly 'over the last couple of days' is it?

Anything said by Gus during the week shouldn't influence any refereeing decision-if it does, then the ref isn't fit for purpose.

Nov 20, 2011
Personally, thought he had a good game.

Nah, not really. Never a pen the first one, I was gob smacked when he pointed to the spot. Then I laughed. 2nd pen was clear cut and he missed two other blatant fouls in the box on Lambert.

I think he knew he f***ed up for the first pen, hence taking an age before the kick was taken, possibly to try to put pressure on Lambert, but Rickie isn't a player who that effects.

When Prem refs step "down" to the Championship, they often seem full of themselves and think we are doing them a favour by letting them officiate.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He lost control of the game with all the diving antics and off-the-ball incidents by Southampton, Guly mostly. Still the worse referee I have ever seen. Foul count was Southampton 14, Albion 9. He missed lots of what was going on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The first pen was funny.....the Southampton player had to spin quite violently in order to try to get his feet into the area.... the second was funny too, the Southampton player dived from the wrong leg. Sad that a team so full of ability just thought it would be easier to win by doing that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Walton had a mega off day, we all have them from time to time, I can't believe that is the standard that got him the gig in the Premier League.........we wouldn't have won anyway :(

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Walton is one of the best referee's in the country, behind Clattenburg , Halsey and Kevin Friend IMO,OK he made a bad decision that changed the game, but there is no way he or any other referee that is good enough to be anywhere near the football league pyramid is a cheat.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Walton is one of the best referee's in the country, behind Clattenburg , Halsey and Kevin Friend IMO,OK he made a bad decision that changed the game, but there is no way he or any other referee that is good enough to be anywhere near the football league pyramid is a cheat.

He did strike me as vain.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Why is it that everyone in the game is accountable except the officials? Clearly an appalling mistake for the first pen that nobody could argue against having seen the replays. The officials seriously blundered, as we all do from time to time.

So why cannot they have the temerity to come out and say 'Sorry, got that one horribly wrong' ? It doesnt change the result but at least it helps everyone to move on.

On the swearing issue, if I had a £1 for every time I have seen Rooney mouth a swear word in a petulant way, I would be wealthy. And if the officials were swearing to the players yesterday as has been suggested, then given the ridiculous error that the players had to put up with, perhaps Tanno's red card should be revisited! It's a man's game for goodness sake. When you witness such a howler as that are you just supposed to say nothing?????

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
He made some bloody awful mistakes, but the cheating award goes to Southampton who was always looking for penalty's

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He did strike me as vain.

:lolol:

I couldn't see the 'challenge' that led to the first pen, but I saw the second one & thought Lambert was fouled by Calderon. Seeing the, ahem, highlights though - it was evident that the first decision was a complete joke & the second a snide dive by the hat-trick scorer. That said, they probs should've had a cuppla pens for shirt-tugging by Paynter & a big push by Dunk(?) that went unnoticed. As piss-poor as the Ref was yesterday, I thought the Lino down by us was possibly even more pathetically inadequate tbh. Regardless of the officiating yesterday, we were certainly beaten by the better side, but the first penalty & Tanno's stupid dismissal completely killed the game. Hey bloody ho. :shrug:

Last edited:

My Sunday newspaper ranks him 7/10 and "kept his cool when the game threatened to boil over"

the ar**hole who wrote this article, Peter White, also concludes that "Jose Fonte was brought down just inside the area" Tarricco was " red carded for arguing over Saints second penalty award ".

I would mark Peter Walton 2/10 - 1 point for turning up at the right ground and a further point for having the correct kit.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
As I said before, the two worst performances i've ever seen from a referee both came from Peter Walton. He's not a cheat, he's just very, very sh*t.
And if you watch the highlights on the FLS it looks to me like the linesman says to the ref "I thought it was outside the box, but if you're sure..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here