Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Roebuck DEAD

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He was a fantastically tedious opening batsman. He made Boycott look like a combination of Adam Gilchrist and Chris Gayle on speed.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Peter Roebuck : Justin Fashanu .

As they say in exams: Compare and Contrast.

Obviously cricket tends to protect its "characters" rather than football which seems to reject them.

I can't see a mob of people surrounding Taunton Cricket ground, now or in the future, to demand that Roebuck be recognised as some form of martyr.

There's nothing outside The Oval, for instance, to celebrate Tony Lock...another Pom who ended up Down Under, in rather dubious circumstances.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surprisingly common for farmers to get the shotgun out and finish themselves off.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Also off topic but suicide related:
A program on tv the other day said more of our troops who served in the Falklands have committed suicide since it ended than were killed in the conflict.
Think on that.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
The story doing the rounds in Cape Town cricket circles is that he sexually assaulted a young black man

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
dentists apparently...! fact.

Well done sir! Whilst generally well paid particularly in the private sector i guess gawping down mouths all day long obviously gets to you in time. I suspect the continued fxxk up of NHS dental contracts doesn't help much either!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The story doing the rounds in Cape Town cricket circles is that he sexually assaulted a young black man

I was shocked to read that women in South Africa are more likely to be raped than complete their secondary education.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Imagine suffering from anxious or depressive thoughts. Then imagine what it would be like to stand around for days on end - often with little to do but be alone with your thoughts - interrupted only very occasionally by a ball heading in your direction.

I have played a hell of a lot of cricket over the years, and when you are not either batting or bowling (i.e. when you are fielding) there is often little to do but to be alone with your thoughts, because, unless the ball is being hit in your direction on a regular basis, you really have very little to do. The only real exception is slip-fielders who can natter to each other and the wicket-keeper.

Add to this the hours on end sat around doing nothing in the dressing room but waiting for your turn to bat, waiting for the rain to stop, or waiting for the innings to end because you have already batted.

I can fully understand why something such as cricket would be linked heavily to suicide.

It's for these very reasons I was quite happy for my son to no longer play cricket, even though he was quite a good bowler.
No longer having to deal with his bouts of depression, when he didn't play well, which would be reflected in the statistics of each game.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Well done sir! Whilst generally well paid particularly in the private sector i guess gawping down mouths all day long obviously gets to you in time. I suspect the continued fxxk up of NHS dental contracts doesn't help much either!

My cousin's a dentist . He told me the reason why - it's because they have easy access to anisthetic .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

As reported in today telegraph

Further details of the final moments of Roebuck’s life emerged on Monday as an investigation was launched.

Roebuck returned from dinner on Saturday evening in Cape Town to be met in the lobby of the Southern Sun Hotel by two officers from the city’s Family Violence and Sex Crimes Unit who told him they were investigating an allegation of sexual assault made by a 26-year-old Zimbabwean man.

They accompanied him to his room where he fell from his window 25 minutes later. Reports stated that Roebuck had asked to go to the bathroom to change his clothes but jumped out of the window despite a uniformed officer being just a few feet away.

One of the last people to see him alive was his fellow commentator for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Maxwell, who found Roebuck in a state of “despair”. Roebuck asked him to arrange for a lawyer and contact the students who lived at his house in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

“Peter was in a state of utter despair,” Maxwell told the Sydney Morning Herald. “He was sitting in a chair, near the window, and I can tell you it takes five seconds to open that window. Given his state of mind, he just had a brain snap. That is all I can assume.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here