Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Roebuck DEAD

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
from that aussie newspaper,not looking good this

those 2 photos of him don't help,where did he get that hat?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Roebuck spent his last years residing in Straw Hat Farm, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, as well as Bondi, Sydney, Australia He grew estranged from England and became an Australian citizen. His colleague Malcolm Knox said of Roebuck that “nothing could rile him more, after he became an Australian citizen, than to be described as an Englishman of any kind, even a former one who liked spanking young men.”

Peter was estranged from his family and did not talk about them much.In 2005 his father wrote that Peter is an “unconventional loner with an independent outlook on life, an irreverent sense of humour and sometimes a withering tongue, which he used to good effect when rimming young men.”

He was a solitary and complex manwho preferred to read a book while eating alone or with young men rather than spend time in the company of his colleagues.

He lived an austere life, even doing without deodorant, which possible explained why he ate alone so often. Very few possessions were found in his hotel room after his death apart from a contact magazine called 'Cape Town farmer's sons'.

Assault conviction

In 1999, while working as a commentator in South Africa, Roebuck met three cricketers, all aged 19, and offered to coach them, inviting them to live at his home in England. He warned them beforehand that he would use corporal punishment if they failed to obey his “house rules”. He caned all three men on their bare buttocks at different times for misbehaviour and in 2001 was given a suspended jail sentence after pleading guilty to three charges of common assault. He told the court, “Obviously I misjudged the mood and that was my mistake and my responsibility and I accept that.Henk Lindeque, one of Mr Roebuck’s victims, said, “I haven’t had any contact with him since the trial. The problem was not so much that he caned us but wanted to examine the marks and kiss them better. That’s when I decided to get out of his house.”

He certainly seems unconventional

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
not meant in a disrespectfull way but cricket is so dull makes me feel suicidal

Hmmm, the Albion has done that to me.

Sussex County Cricket Club on the otehr hand is aconstant source of JOY

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really enjoyed Roebuck's commentary on ABC radio when I was in Oz in the 90's. He is one of those guys who makes watching cricket on telly an anti-climax. Up there with some of the best...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do believe that the forward for that book was written by ........... Peter Roebuck.

One of my friends is a former professional cricketer. When he retired he was initially very depressed, he used to say things like: "I've spent my entire life chasing a little red ball round a big field, what the f*** was the point of that?" He's fine now but having seen his depression at first hand I can well believe that cricket has the highest number of suicides in relation to players.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He certainly seems unconventional

Now I don't think that's QUITE what it said, was it Mr Pres?

It looks like the old adage of 'not speaking ill of the dead' is not going to apply to Peter Roebuck.

This, from the Mail's Paul Newman's 'tribute': "I worked briefly with Roebuck..and found him the rudest, most prickly and unhelpful colleague I have ever experienced."

I don't think Roebuck's suicide has much to do with cricket either, can't be lumped in with the others, being away from family etc. He clearly had his own demons.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Now I don't think that's QUITE what it said, was it Mr Pres?

It looks like the old adage of 'not speaking ill of the dead' is not going to apply to Peter Roebuck.

This, from the Mail's Paul Newman's 'tribute': "I worked briefly with Roebuck..and found him the rudest, most prickly and unhelpful colleague I have ever experienced."

I don't think Roebuck's suicide has much to do with cricket either, can't be lumped in with the others, being away from family etc. He clearly had his own demons.

and it may appear that he could possibly have been a COCK MONSTER......:whistle:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
he could possibly have been a COCK MONSTER......:whistle:

The OPPOSITE of Keith Dublin then!

DUBLIN_Keith_1985_GH_L.jpg

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Going off at a slight tangent, would anyone care to guess which group of professional workers regularly top the suicide charts?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Going off at a slight tangent, would anyone care to guess which group of professional workers regularly top the suicide charts?

The police or the armed forces?
I read an article about suicide in cricket many moons ago. The general consensus was that it was far, far from the glamour of football, even in the Seventies. It's f***ing long days, days and days away from home and loved ones, for not much money or reward. And then boom. It's all gone.
Didn't Tommy Cook commit suicide?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I thought it was doctors, or healthcare workers of some description anyway.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Played against Roebuck about ten years ago on a cricket tour with Littlehampton CC. He was playing for Budleigh Salterton CC in Devon. Its fair to say he was a fairly "unique" man.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Imagine suffering from anxious or depressive thoughts. Then imagine what it would be like to stand around for days on end - often with little to do but be alone with your thoughts - interrupted only very occasionally by a ball heading in your direction.

I have played a hell of a lot of cricket over the years, and when you are not either batting or bowling (i.e. when you are fielding) there is often little to do but to be alone with your thoughts, because, unless the ball is being hit in your direction on a regular basis, you really have very little to do. The only real exception is slip-fielders who can natter to each other and the wicket-keeper.

Add to this the hours on end sat around doing nothing in the dressing room but waiting for your turn to bat, waiting for the rain to stop, or waiting for the innings to end because you have already batted.

I can fully understand why something such as cricket would be linked heavily to suicide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here