Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Roebuck DEAD

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Topped himself by jumping from the sixth floor of a hotel.

What is it about cricket and suicide?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There does seem to be a bad connection in cricket and suicides

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
As a cricketer, a brave man kicking out Garner and Richards from Somerset which also induced the departure of IT Botham. Replaced them with youngsters Crowe and Steve Waugh, but was pretty much chased out after a few years.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Strange and troubled bloke it seems and not only for somehow getting rid of the combined talents of Richards, Garner and Botham. From his Wikipedia:

In 1999, while working as a commentator in South Africa Roebuck met three cricketers, all aged 19, and offered to coach them, inviting them to live at his home in England. He warned them beforehand that he would use corporal punishment if they failed to obey his "house rules". He caned all three men on their buttocks at different times for misbehaviour and in 2001 was given a suspended jail sentence after pleading guilty to three charges of common assault. He told the court, "Obviously I misjudged the mood and that was my mistake and my responsibility and I accept that."

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wonder if there's not more to come out about this one.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Topped himself by jumping from the sixth floor of a hotel.

What is it about cricket and suicide?

Who else? Bairstow I think was one. Are there others?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Who else? Bairstow I think was one. Are there others?

Loads. There's even been a book written about it:
Amazon.com: Silence of the Heart: Cricket Suicides (9781840184068): David Frith: Books

Does seem strange. Being a professional cricketer seems to be to vie with professional musician or footballer as being in a very privileged position of getting paid for doing something that everyone else does for fun. But, as with Trescothick, happy life circumstances don't always come into it of course.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I remember him captaining an annoying good Somerset team that thrashed Sussex out of the Gillette cup at Hove at 1984.

Similar mental frailties in Yardy, Thorpe & Trescothick.

remember that game,dropped a tray with 3 pints of lager on it,went back to the bar and the same bloke served me,he said something like "f***ing hell,mate you drank them one's quick"

but anyway,it's a big shame when someone see's their life as not worth living

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think there will be from what I hear

One of the Australian newspapers is reporting that there was a police officer in his room when he jumped, because he was being questioned by police about an allegation that had been made against him.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
not meant in a disrespectfull way but cricket is so dull makes me feel suicidal

In some people, for many it gives a reason to live or gain pleasure from life...my nan loved cricket and used to go and watch her local team play regularly, the players would bring her and her friends cups of tea, she kept going until not long before she died at the age of 88.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here