Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter James

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The latest one is possibly the weakest of the series IMO. Maybe I am über clever but I had the villain figured from about page 20.

Peter James mum was the owner of Cordelia James Gloves who used to have factory up in Stamford Avenue area. He used to come into the Park View years ago. Thoroughly nice bloke.

Getting the Grace novels on screen would be great for Brighton. I heard him on breakfast a little while ago saying that they are adapting Dead Simple as a movie...I would prefer a TV series tbh. Would do for Brighton what Morse did for Oxford.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Part of 'Dead Tomorrow' is set in your neck of the wood, if I recall correctly.

Just finished Dead Tomorrow, it was all set in and around Brighton. By my neck of the woods do you mean Geelong, Victoria or Australia?

Any recommendation for his other novels, the perfect people one sounds good, I will nip down to the library tomorrow to see what the have.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The latest one is possibly the weakest of the series IMO. Maybe I am über clever but I had the villain figured from about page 20.

Sadly, I agree. But then I kind of let myself be carried along by the story, so didn't really guess it.

Peter James mum was the owner of Cordelia James Gloves who used to have factory up in Stamford Avenue area. He used to come into the Park View years ago. Thoroughly nice bloke.

Yup. It was in Havelock Road. The factory isn't there now (it's in Lewes); it's housing, a small row called 'Glover's Yard'.

Getting the Grace novels on screen would be great for Brighton. I heard him on breakfast a little while ago saying that they are adapting Dead Simple as a movie...I would prefer a TV series tbh. Would do for Brighton what Morse did for Oxford.

... and he has had to veto a suggestion from the TV companies about not filming it in Brighton.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
quality author, and i agree with the previous poster the plot was good, but the villain was a bit obvious. Not sure what the next book will bring for Roy / Cleo / Sandy......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
... and he has had to veto a suggestion from the TV companies about not filming it in Brighton.

Indeed, I went to a Peter James evening a couple of weeks ago and he said BBC Scotland were interested in the series which he thought was slightly puzzling until he discovered they wanted to film it ABERDEEN, I'm not surprised he told them where to stick it. He also said he hates Dead Letter Drop and would rather it wasn't his début novel.

Any recommendation for his other novels, the perfect people one sounds good, I will nip down to the library tomorrow to see what the have.

I've just started reading Perfect People, it looks like something that's right up my street as I've enjoyed his previous science based books. Host is a good one, it's to do with reading people's brains into a computer to give the computer intelligence, it's quite a good ending too. A lot of his other books are based around the supernatural with out-of-body experiences and things like that.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I've just started reading Perfect People, it looks like something that's right up my street as I've enjoyed his previous science based books. Host is a good one, it's to do with reading people's brains into a computer to give the computer intelligence, it's quite a good ending too. A lot of his other books are based around the supernatural with out-of-body experiences and things like that.

i too have just started reading this. it is 20p on kindle.....

about 25% through, good thus far....

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Sadly, I agree. But then I kind of let myself be carried along by the story, so didn't really guess it.

Yup. It was in Havelock Road. The factory isn't there now (it's in Lewes); it's housing, a small row called 'Glover's Yard'.

Brings back memories everytime. Mum [when alive] was one of the 'home workers' for Cornelia James. Sometimes I used to go with her on the trolley bus from Braybon Ave to 5 Ways to collect new supplies of beads, sequins & plain gloves. The full time factory girls used to treat me as a 'nipper' to sweeties etc. Can remember mum sitting at home in Greenfield Cres. sewing away for seemingly ever to earn 'pin' money. Ahh, distant memories of the 1950's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here