Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perspective

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yesterday was typical of Poyet. Prior to the game hes indicates changes are required and players need to step up to the mark but its the 'same old, same old.

What's the difference from when we got results in the past under Poyet? A positive attittude. The goalie is brilliant BUT we just kick the ball upfield where CMS is not strong on the air so the ball just comes back to our half. The full-backs aren't getting forward at all - I assume that this is tactical and therefore we are not making the best use of them. We need (and I think they can) the centre-backs to step up and not need to be protected all the time by the full-backs and 3 defensive mid-fielders. El-Abd needs to play the ball forward more (in a mesaured way). Playing with 3 defensive midfielders mean we are always on the back foot and they don't support the play going forward. How many time yesterday did they get over the half-way line? The 3 players up front don't have a chance and as they are not pushing forward the oppositions full-backs push on and we are under pressure.

After we scored yesterday how predictable were we? All the players behind the ball, getting in each other's way and no outlet. Now I think Bridcutt is great but only when he was subbed and we went to a 4 mid-field and 2 strikers did we start playing. I'm not saying drop Bridcutt but perhaps lose one of the defensive midfielders and go to win the game.

At the moment is seems safety first, which is the opposite of what Poyet did when he first came. He needs to be a bit more imaginative. He just seems to me it is all a bit complacent. Now's the time to step up Poyet.

One last thing, for those saying well done we are 9th and look where we could go. If you know your Brighton (I have supported the club for over 40 years), boring football at the Albion even if it means a high placing in the table doesn't satisfy us supporters. Ask Mike Bailey!

was this the reason we went through all we did from 1983 onwards? where would we have been if he had of been kept on? would we have stayed in the top flight,would we still be in the the top flight now and at Waterhall in a 45,000 seater embarking on another European campaign? who knows the answers

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If you care about results so much, then support Palace as they need the fans. You'd even get in cheaper with your groupon voucher.

Form is temporary, ask the Palace fans who wanted to get rid of their manager 6 games ago. They got their wish, but not in the way that they wanted.
So are you saying that results are not important and that the fans will keep coming back irrespective of results. I am in the school of thought that a top 6 finish would be a failure for the Board and for Gus.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So are you saying that results are not important and that the fans will keep coming back irrespective of results. I am in the school of thought that a top 6 finish would be a failure for the Board and for Gus.

Care to explain that to me,i cannot work this out.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Care to explain that to me,i cannot work this out.
It's quite simple with all the investment into the club we really can't afford to be a mid table side. If results are poor people won't come and our income stream will be reduced which will have a direct affect on our spending power.

We really need to have The Amex near full week on week and season ticket holders renewing and not picking and choosing games which I fear will happen if we don't turn the corner. It's fantastic playing attractive football but you need the results to match the style.

I might be wrong but that's my perspective on the current situations in which are are.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's quite simple with all the investment into the club we really can't afford to be a mid table side. If results are poor people won't come and our income stream will be reduced which will have a direct affect on our spending power.

We really need to have The Amex near full week on week and season ticket holders renewing and not picking and choosing games which I fear will happen if we don't turn the corner. It's fantastic playing attractive football but you need the results to match the style.

I might be wrong but that's my perspective on the current situations in which are are.

Fair enough,but when we have a situation where Gus gets proper financial Backing to do so then can we complain, we don't spend very much money or pay high wages-in modern day real terms,it's all gone on the stadium and the training facility-

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have plenty of perspective and certainly think any calls for gus to go are extreme in the least. However I also feel there is nothing wrong with asking the question as to why despite a clear run of poor performances changes are not being made. Today was a fantastic point but I still have not seen anything in the performance to suggest we will get out of this slump.

I hope this time gus delivers what he says in his interview and we see a change against Leeds as we can't blindly go on hoping things will just turn around without any fresh impetus from the team or manager.

On a positive note we have a solid defence and that is the basis of any good side but we need to approach games more positively if this team can deliver the potential we all know it is capable of.

Most of the comments on here appear to be frustration more than anything as we know we can deliver so much more

Chins up for Leeds though

Agreed 100%

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
300 days ago we were plummeting in 16th place. This isn't the Withdean days or the Gillingham days, this is where we were on January 1, 2012.

301 days ago we had just lost to Coventry at the Ricoh (I was there, depressing), they got relegated and are now struggling in League 1.

From 300 days ago we pulled, neigh, hauled ourselves back into the play offs, and but for a bad end to the season may well have been top six.

Fast forward 300 days and we are on a terrible run, yet we are 9th and two points off the play offs, having the meanest defence in the division.

Please can the detractors get some perspective? I'm not looking for abusive comments, I'm looking for a bit of perspective, is that fair?

We have the meanest defense in the division, because we play boring, negative football which only cares about not conceding. Nothing wrong with conceding - providing you get more than the other team. Does Poyet not remember that fans go to matches to be entertained?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Fair enough,but when we have a situation where Gus gets proper financial Backing to do so then can we complain, we don't spend very much money or pay high wages-in modern day real terms,it's all gone on the stadium and the training facility-
While the Albion don't spend big on transfers players like Bridge, Bruno, Orlandi, Dobbie, Kusack, CMS must be on a more than decent salary. Instead of paying say £2 Million for a signing on fee we pay a higher wage.

My agruement is that we need the income to suit the facilities and this is so based on results and position on the field of play.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Of course results are important but perspective means that some fans take a longer term view than 6 games. Last season we went for 10 games without a win and then went 3 months without losing a game.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Read NSC pal, it is all here somewhere. The be all and end all. but he did say that on the back of Poyets contract, I think.
So am I to take that as you don't know then? If you're going to make a quote along the lines of Tony BLoom has publicly stated something, then at least know where to find he publicly stated it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Of course results are important but perspective means that some fans take a longer term view than 6 games. Last season we went for 10 games without a win and then went 3 months without losing a game.
And I think you will find Mr Bolt, that is the longer view a lot of fans are taking.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Poyet came under no hassle when he took us on a 10 game winless streak a year ago. A few got worried, but no one gave him grief.

Even when he did it again at the end of the season, only a few of us, inclduing myself to doubt him, but again he never really got any serious grief.

THis season, when its all happening again, no change of formation, virtually the same team over and over again, and no signs of anything changing, and stranger and stranger post match comments, is he the reason he is starting to get widespread grief.

Please can everyone get it out their minds, that Poyet is getting stick because we drew at Blackpool, or because we lost narrowly to the league Leaders Leicester. He's not.

People have had enough of it, as he clearly has not learnt lessons from the previous times.

He's getting grief because everyone can see what has happened before, is happening again, and the manager is unwilling (I wont say incapable because I think he is), but unwilling to change his style of play to stop the poor run. Not because we didnt win the last match!!!!!

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Well said mr burns exactly what i was thinking but couldnt be bothered to post it
Were both forgetting we used to be rubbish at gillingham and withdean and just be grateful for what we have and should not be wanting to much out of our present or future existence as a football club

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's called perspective and some of you definitely lack it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
so what? 30 years ago we were in the top division and just about to commence an FA Cup run that took us to Wembley (twice), regularly playing teams like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. Look how far we have fallen. Sort it out Bloom and Gus.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
Spot on. I'm getting really sick of all these Panglossian simpletons who start thread after thread demanding that we get some sense of 'perspective'. There are far more of these threads than there are 'Poyet out' ones and they are FAR more tedious. Other 'moaning' threads are people just being a tad miffed that we haven't won for a while and aren't saying anything that you won't hear in the pub.

Sorry LondonBlue, I know you said you weren't looking for abuse, but as you've been quite rude to people who've expressed an alternative opinion (including telling timbha to f*** off) you can take your sense of perspective (which given the example you quote is a bit of a non sequitur) and shove it up your arse.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Three years ago ish Poyet played three up front wood muzza barnes oh for those days again! Three upfront just imagine :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here