Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perspective

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
300 days ago we were plummeting in 16th place. This isn't the Withdean days or the Gillingham days, this is where we were on January 1, 2012.

301 days ago we had just lost to Coventry at the Ricoh (I was there, depressing), they got relegated and are now struggling in League 1.

From 300 days ago we pulled, neigh, hauled ourselves back into the play offs, and but for a bad end to the season may well have been top six.

Fast forward 300 days and we are on a terrible run, yet we are 9th and two points off the play offs, having the meanest defence in the division.

Please can the detractors get some perspective? I'm not looking for abusive comments, I'm looking for a bit of perspective, is that fair?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have plenty of perspective and certainly think any calls for gus to go are extreme in the least. However I also feel there is nothing wrong with asking the question as to why despite a clear run of poor performances changes are not being made. Today was a fantastic point but I still have not seen anything in the performance to suggest we will get out of this slump.

I hope this time gus delivers what he says in his interview and we see a change against Leeds as we can't blindly go on hoping things will just turn around without any fresh impetus from the team or manager.

On a positive note we have a solid defence and that is the basis of any good side but we need to approach games more positively if this team can deliver the potential we all know it is capable of.

Most of the comments on here appear to be frustration more than anything as we know we can deliver so much more

Chins up for Leeds though

Adsgull

Feb 27, 2012
Southwick
Fair point. I think we all need to calm down as we are getting carried away a bit thi king we should be near the top. I want us to be there as well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How long do we have to hold on to the past? Arguably we have the best stadium, the best home crowds, the best revenues and a squad that (on paper) is more than capable of making us serious contenders.

I'm not looking back, it's about the here and now, and the bar has been raised as far as I'm concerned, and my expectations have been raised too.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have plenty of perspective and certainly think any calls for gus to go are extreme in the least. However I also feel there is nothing wrong with asking the question as to why despite a clear run of poor performances changes are not being made. Today was a fantastic point but I still have not seen anything in the performance to suggest we will get out of this slump.

I absolutely 100% agree, we are on a totally dire run and Gus does need to implement new tactics in order to get confidence back in the squad and real fans. But there is a difference between intelligent constructive criticism and the meathead comments of those that only come here when we're losing, calling for the managers head. I'm as frustrated as the next real fan, but I'm not stupid and I don't think I need to pretend to be a league manager. I've been watching Brighton since the post Clough/Taylor days and never felt the need to out expert the experts, if you see what I mean. We'll be fine come the end of the season and hopefully the meatheads will once again disappear.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Look we all know we've come out of the dark days and have been enjoying the good times, this is just a minor set back and with the quality of players we have all will come good. Be patient.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Look we all know we've come out of the dark days and have been enjoying the good times, this is just a minor set back and with the quality of players we have all will come good. Be patient.

I'm very patient, I can live with the bad runs... we have the infrastructure to go much further, but short term bad performances have these idiots on this website crawling out from under their stones baying for the managers head. They seriously cannot support our club?

Dec 29, 2011
How long do we have to hold on to the past? Arguably we have the best stadium, the best home crowds, the best revenues and a squad that (on paper) is more than capable of making us serious contenders.

I'm not looking back, it's about the here and now, and the bar has been raised as far as I'm concerned, and my expectations have been raised too.

+1.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm very patient, I can live with the bad runs... we have the infrastructure to go much further, but short term bad performances have these idiots on this website crawling out from under their stones baying for the managers head. They seriously cannot support our club?

It takes all sorts i suppose. It would be boring if we all agreed. Give it a couple of games and a few wins and order with resumed.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
How long do we have to live in the past before we can move forwards, can't wait till 2015 season hopefully if people have an opinion that we've played shit for 6 games on the trot it's valid to have a moan

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I absolutely 100% agree, we are on a totally dire run and Gus does need to implement new tactics in order to get confidence back in the squad and real fans. But there is a difference between intelligent constructive criticism and the meathead comments of those that only come here when we're losing, calling for the managers head. I'm as frustrated as the next real fan, but I'm not stupid and I don't think I need to pretend to be a league manager. I've been watching Brighton since the post Clough/Taylor days and never felt the need to out expert the experts, if you see what I mean. We'll be fine come the end of the season and hopefully the meatheads will once again disappear.

I think we will turn it around as do most fans and some of the comments on here have to be taken with a pinch of salt as the more extreme ones seem to be people desperately trying to be noticed by posting ridiculously controversial statements

Long way to go yet and 2 home games with our fantastic support is just what the team need at the moment

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If three hundred days ago is the past, fair play, you are correct, Blackpool is the past too, so we should move on shouldn't we? I deliberately took our 'past' from exactly 300 days ago, not 3 years ago to try and get some perspective. I didn't see so many knives out on December 31 as I do on October 27.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yep at least LB has the good sense not to hark back to Withdean and Gillingham.

Today was a good point away from home, won badly.

I felt 'Boro was pretty encouraging and had it not been in the middle of the run we are having, it would have been a 'just one of those games', matches.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Debate and asking questions is definitely the way to go but there are so many wind up merchants and short term fickle fans who are overreacting, the more positive fans who do have a sense of perspective then try to be even more positive to even things out.
It would help (and I include myself in this) if the trolls were ignored and keep debate to the more sensible threads, but it doesn't work like that sadly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Debate and asking questions is definitely the way to go but there are so many wind up merchants and short term fickle fans who are overreacting, the more positive fans who do have a sense of perspective then try to be even more positive to even things out.
It would help (and I include myself in this) if the trolls were ignored and keep debate to the more sensible threads, but it doesn't work like that sadly.

Totally agree with this, I do probably go a little OTT to support my club against the detractors.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

In effect, we need a plan B but, like the Government, perhaps Gus is too stubborn to do this as he may, incorrectly, see this as an admission that his tactics are wrong, whereas they are, at the moment, not effective. I don't want to see him go but I want to see him do something other repeat the samd mantra after every poor performance.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Some of the negativity and knee-jerk reaction is f***ing ridiculous on here tonight.

Some people should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm not here to have a row, but really, some need to have a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves whether they really are supporters of this club.

From what I saw this afternoon, the team worked their bollocks off and came away with a valuable point. To hear some of the comments, you'd think we had just lost 10-0 at home to Accrington Stanley.

Pricks.

Dandyman

In London village.
300 days ago we were plummeting in 16th place. This isn't the Withdean days or the Gillingham days, this is where we were on January 1, 2012.

301 days ago we had just lost to Coventry at the Ricoh (I was there, depressing), they got relegated and are now struggling in League 1.

From 300 days ago we pulled, neigh, hauled ourselves back into the play offs, and but for a bad end to the season may well have been top six.

Fast forward 300 days and we are on a terrible run, yet we are 9th and two points off the play offs, having the meanest defence in the division.

Please can the detractors get some perspective? I'm not looking for abusive comments, I'm looking for a bit of perspective, is that fair?

Entirely fair comment. What has changed IMO is the level of our expectation. We now expect to be in contention for promotion and our current form is unlikely to deliver that.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Entirely fair comment. What has changed IMO is the level of our expectation. We now expect to be in contention for promotion and our current form is unlikely to deliver that.

To be fair mate, last season I wanted us top half... this season I fancy our top 6 chances, even now... but if we don't I won't be blindly calling for our managers head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here