Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Perfect stadium size

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ah, if we're playing fantasy stadium then I'd want a HUGE kop end like Spurs or Dortmund. The NS being so small is part of our atmos problem.
And then how many different singing groups would we have. With a small North Stand we have 2, with the size you are suggesting we would probably have eight different chants going a t the same time.

Total chaos.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Doubt it. Football customers are fickle. And Insta-fans more so. Reckon we'd be back to the original 15k core fanbase within a season
No chance. You're 15 years out of date IMO.

Even Reading are getting close to that after years of neglect and they're now in League One.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Anything less than 50k would make it difficult to compete for champions league places regularly.

However, we are better off selling out regularly as we are

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
you're rather casually ignoring the obvious solutuion of a new pier to hold the staidum. really we could have any size we liked then, in more central location.

:moo:
This was actually one of the more ridiculous moooo-ted ideas at the time, wasn't it? Build a stadium out at sea, with bridges linking to it. Pure fantasy - it would have cost billions. It would have been one of the most spectacular grounds in the world, though!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The Europa games popped up on YouTube a couple of days ago. Unbelievable that the Roma game had loads of empty seats.
So when did we really sell out a game?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
There's nothing more depressing than having a half-empty stadium.

As I understand it, the Amex is not built for expansion, so it would be extremely costly to make any structural changes.

The only way the club would even ever entertain the idea is if we were selling out week in, week out (which we currently aren't) and had established ourselves over several seasons as a leading contender in the EPL with Champions League qualification etc.
But we are selling out - but those that have tickets don’t necessarily turn up. The proverbial bums on seats or not. Our average attendance for the last two seasons has been around 31,500+/-. Our capacity is 31,800. That would indicate that pretty much all our matches are sold out despite numerous seats being unoccupied. I just wonder if the club will implement a ‘use it or lose it’ policy adopted by other clubs for ST holders, in which if the seat is not taken up on a regular basis you forfeit it.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I'd be surprised if a club like ours isn't already looking at our options how to build a 60,000 seater stadium in or around the city.

Suspect the best option is building on the existing site somehow, with major improvements to Falmer stadium, and possibly a monorail along the A270 Lewes Road into town.
Let’s go the whole hog on this one. Dismantle the Royal Pavilion and the Amex stadium. Replace the Amex with the Royal Pavilion, and, put the new stadium on the site of the RP. Perfect! On all the major bus routes, ten minute walk to the station. Slap bang in the city centre for eating and drinking and not too far to get a stick of rock and a candy floss. Job done - result! :drink:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
As an aside, do we know the expected lifespan of a stadium like the AMEX? I don't know if it's a stupid question, but would architects have an idea of how long a new build stadium could last before needing significant renovations?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lots of families on holiday, or skint after going on holiday. I have not checked, but I bet most exchange tickets are in the East.
Possibly my imagination, but this doesn't seem to be overly relevant to other PL clubs, which normally looked packed out regardless of school holidays, people being skint etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Still 1100 tickets left for this weeks game against Man Utd. Can't see the point in increasing the capacity anytime soon.
The Man Utd game probably isn't the best example to use - it's still holiday season so many will be away for the match .... me and Master WS included.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let’s go the whole hog on this one. Dismantle the Royal Pavilion and the Amex stadium. Replace the Amex with the Royal Pavilion, and, put the new stadium on the site of the RP. Perfect! On all the major bus routes, ten minute walk to the station. Slap bang in the city centre for eating and drinking and not too far to get a stick of rock and a candy floss. Job done - result! :drink:
You can joke about it but there really was a plan to demolish the Pavilion and build flats on it. And it wasn't in the crazy 60s, when demolition was all the rage, but in the 1930s.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Possibly my imagination, but this doesn't seem to be overly relevant to other PL clubs, which normally looked packed out regardless of school holidays, people being skint etc.
Other Premier League clubs don't make it such a ball ache to give your season ticket seat to a friend if you can't go, or threaten the death penalty for anyone who tries to get around the system

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Other Premier League clubs don't make it such a ball ache to give your season ticket seat to a friend if you can't go, or threaten the death penalty for anyone who tries to get around the system
A semi related question - how does a MyAlbion + member apply to be put on the season ticket waiting list ? I thought it would be easily done through the Club website but I can't see an option to do this.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
This was actually one of the more ridiculous moooo-ted ideas at the time, wasn't it? Build a stadium out at sea, with bridges linking to it. Pure fantasy - it would have cost billions. It would have been one of the most spectacular grounds in the world, though!

I have been to 2 like this on a smaller scale in Singapore and NYC. Not that daft.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It's an absolute non-starter of an idea. We wouldn't be allowed to build anything in the South Downs National Park so we'd be back to the ideas that were rejected first time around: Waterhall, Sheepcote, Beeding Cement Works - all non-starters because of lack of public transport access. Shoreham Harbour - way, way too expensive.

The only possible option would be to knock down the Amex and rebuild - and where would we play for two years? Can't see us going back to Gillingham and there's no way that we'd go to Selhurst or Fratton
Now Labour are in , you can build wherever you want ,
better idea would be to knock the north stand down and build a proper home end that holds 10000

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
A semi related question - how does a MyAlbion + member apply to be put on the season ticket waiting list ? I thought it would be easily done through the Club website but I can't see an option to do this.
by being a MyAlbion+ member your automatically on season ticket waiting list

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
As some are discussing building a new stadium I wonder how much the Amex would cost to build today?

The original cost was 93 million exluding the subsequent expansions. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest it might cost 250 million today taking into account inflation and increase material costs. Palace's stand is looking to cost 150 million but I wouldn't mind betting it will be closer to 200.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here