Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Perfect stadium size

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The only thing I wish they’d do is add a box in the north east corner to mimic the south east, so the stadium looks more balanced. & then add some sort of shelf/mini tier/boxes over the north. The stadium would then look complete. As for a total capacity I’d rather keep it similar to what it is now, maybe increase it a little, than increase it to 40000+ as that would ensure a packed stadium every week. A stadium that’s 32-35k capacity & is packed out will provide a much better atmosphere than a 40000 seater with lots of empty seats.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know why I started this thread really. I know the current Amex is in reality as big as we're ever going to have, for all the obvious practical reasons listed. :lolol:

I was hoping for more answers like @Cheeky Monkey's I think!
Ah, if we're playing fantasy stadium then I'd want a HUGE kop end like Spurs or Dortmund. The NS being so small is part of our atmos problem.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's an absolute non-starter of an idea. We wouldn't be allowed to build anything in the South Downs National Park so we'd be back to the ideas that were rejected first time around: Waterhall, Sheepcote, Beeding Cement Works - all non-starters because of lack of public transport access. Shoreham Harbour - way, way too expensive.

The only possible option would be to knock down the Amex and rebuild - and where would we play for two years? Can't see us going back to Gillingham and there's no way that we'd go to Selhurst or Fratton
This

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Still 1100 tickets left for this weeks game against Man Utd. Can't see the point in increasing the capacity anytime soon.
Although at £55+ per ticket is it really a surprise.

And the very cheap Crawley tickets are very very slow in take up, be interesting to see if many more go this afternoon when it hits the guest tickets but I expected a lot more Albion + sales this morning

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Didn’t the club get planning to add a few hundred extra seats on a new ledge above the north stand?
Yes. Planning permission was obtained to get it up to 32.5k capacity. This included a new bar behind a new north stand shelf and a box in the north east corner matching the south east corner.

However, I guess most of these were 1901 or directors box seats and I suspect the numbers didn’t add up after the pandemic/cost of living crisis so the plan was shelved.

I suspect we’ll see the plan return after we win a trophy this season.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

And the very cheap Crawley tickets are very very slow in take up, be interesting to see if many more go this afternoon when it hits the guest tickets but I expected a lot more Albion + sales this morning
School holidays

On that subject the Uni isn't back yet, so the kiosks are going to be the usual early season shitshow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's an absolute non-starter of an idea. We wouldn't be allowed to build anything in the South Downs National Park so we'd be back to the ideas that were rejected first time around: Waterhall, Sheepcote, Beeding Cement Works - all non-starters because of lack of public transport access. Shoreham Harbour - way, way too expensive.

The only possible option would be to knock down the Amex and rebuild - and where would we play for two years? Can't see us going back to Gillingham and there's no way that we'd go to Selhurst or Fratton
you're rather casually ignoring the obvious solutuion of a new pier to hold the staidum. really we could have any size we liked then, in more central location.

:moo:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As an Albion member last season - I always got a ticket for a game and at least 5 times this was only 2hours before kick off - so capacity is probably right

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Its sold out. All the £55 tickets have gone. The remaining tickets are now on the Exchange are presumably cos ST holders are on holiday and/or happy to watch on TV, can't make a 1230 KO and hence want a refund. (and also Cat A so no cheap) . THat said - there's no signs at all that demand for home/away Albion tickets/games is slacking.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We should give some thought to a larger capacity ......................

.....just as soon as we've won a few Premier League titles and some domestic and European trophies

Until then, what we have is perfect :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its sold out. All the £55 tickets have gone. The remaining tickets are now on the Exchange are presumably cos ST holders are on holiday and/or happy to watch on TV, can't make a 1230 KO and hence want a refund. (and also Cat A so no cheap) . THat said - there's no signs at all that demand for home/away Albion tickets/games is slacking.
I was commenting on the poster who say there are 1k unsold and there are loads at £55 (actually the cheapest is £52) left which is why I said its not a surprise there are quite a few left. I realise the game is sold out and these are STH resale seats so the club will not lose out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was commenting on the poster who say there are 1k unsold and there are loads at £55 (actually the cheapest is £52) left which is why I said its not a surprise there are quite a few left. I realise the game is sold out and these are STH resale seats so the club will not lose out.
Fair enough. I agree with you - prices are too steep. But for the most part, people are currently paying them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For my money 30k ish is just about the perfect staduim size for a club such as ours, yes at the moment whilst we are rikding high on the crest of a wave, it can be difficult finding a seat for some games, but lets not kid ourselves, the moment we rare elegated, (and it will happen sooner or later), those attendances weill probably start to drop away fsairly sharply. Is there anything worse than playing games in a half empty stadium?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I mean it's in line with about 25 other similar sized provincial clubs (with Hull/Reading at one end and Derby/Wolves at the other), so it's hard to argue that 30k isn't about right. That said, we have the biggest hinterland in the country in terms of population and I bet our support is continuing to grow. There aren't many Sussex towns and villages where you don't see kids in Albion shirts these days.

Probably fair. But you do hear the conversation raised on here from time to time. It's somewhat moot anyway as transport links, cost, and probably by-laws prevent expansion over around 33,000 in reality.

But do remember that the Nigels will have a ground holding 34,000 in 35 (sorry I mean "3 to 5") years time when their shiny new stand is built.
But it's not reflected in our attendances even now, is it? Even over the last two seasons, there are plenty of empty seats for most games.

I mean, we are at home to one of the 'biggest' clubs in the world on Saturday, and there are still hundreds of tickets for sale in the exchange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here