Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte stop whinging about festive matches

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Vardy is a chain smoker and I'll wager you there are plenty of players addicted to booze and covering it up.

Plenty of players smoke, Casper Ankergren used to sneak one at half time behind the changing rooms at Withdean. There will be plenty of players admitting to various addictions in their autobiographies when they retire. It’s not something that died out when Paul Mersin retired and it will go on long after current players retire. They are humans and addictions effect some of us no matter what job someone does, how much money they earn etc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Perhaps it's relevant to remember in earlier times there were no floodlights and midweek games were played in the afternoon when there was less chance of a high attendance by spectators. I remember missing school to visit the Goldstone to watch a Cup match (replay?) against Rotherham who at that time were a consistent Division 2 team while Albion were in the Third South.

Again that's why certain clubs always played their mid week games on certain days as locally they coincided with shops half days closing.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Tuchel’s right about one thing. It shouldn’t have been a draw.

I thought we deserved all 3 points after a performance like that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What is a dangerous injury?

I ripped my ACL when I was 15, it was a bad injury. But its the arthritis I'm likely to develop because of taking shit care of it that will cause me the most problems. Plenty of former footballers cant even play football with their kids in the backyard because they kept playing or took painkillers injections against "non-serious" injuries.

My son done his at 14 and again at 19. Probably never play again. However he didn't get paid a huge wage for the privilege either.

If these little darlings are concerned about their bodies later in life then perhaps being an elite sportsmen isn't for them.

It's like restricting F1 to 30mhp to remove the danger.

As far as I know no one is forcing these players to take up the sport.

For every well paid star who gets a bad injury there'll be hundreds of those playing the game for fun on shithole parks on a Sunday who get a bad injury and possibly end up losing their jobs etc.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
The Festive Programme followed by the FA Cup third round is tradition. If they don’t like it, there is no reason why they have to manage in this league. Tuchels interviews were a disgrace, I suspect he may get a bit of abuse at his next visit to the Amex, although at this rate he will probably get sacked and we will have wait until he comes with Spuds or Everton ��

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All those things are great but the human body is what it is regardless of how many ice baths you take.

The game is a lot quicker (physically demanding) now compared to any time in history.

In recent times there has been 40-55 players injured over the Christmas/New Year fixtures which is unacceptable numbers.

25 man squad, plus in Chelsea's academy are lads that can't break through because of all the quality Chelsea have, they end up playing for Brighton, Southampton, Palace etc. and generally show as being one of the better players in those sides.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ok lets see what the British managers has to say:

Brendan Rogers

"The game is about money now. You can’t say it’s about the welfare of players. You get that first day of recovery but it’s the second day where it’s really tough for a player,"

“If we go along that route then the second day, instead of recovering, we’re kicking off at 5.30pm at West Ham. It’s just nonsense really."

Sean Dyche

“Depending on the fixtures it can be really taxing on the players, emotionally - the physical side is taxing anyway - but you want to relax and be with your families.”

Eddie Howe

“It is difficult for the players physically. The players will be fatigued and when you’re fatigued there is a lot higher injury risk.”

GP

"The Premier League give the clubs a lot of resources so they can demand a certain type of schedule over the Christmas period, so I can understand it from a commercial point of view.”

All about the money.

Sure, most of them will also say that it is "part of the culture" and yada yada but "part of the culture" doesnt make something good. It used to be part of the culture to fight in the stands, make monkey sounds towards black players and sing homophobic things about the opposition and I'm sure there was a lot of opposition, "it's always been like this! If players and foreign coaches have something against it they can do one!" when it was no longer deemed acceptable.

The reason why people are offended by managers suggesting that players should have at least three days rest is because people a) actively decide not to understand the problem and b) wants to defend some kind of pointless tradition. Would it be the end of the world if the game between Boxing Day and the first game of the new year was just moved later or earlier into the season? It would take one or two years before people would stop moaning about it. Right now people are defending it just for the sake of defending it.

I’m not offended at all, I just think they want their cake and they want to eat it….

Want to relax with their families…… er well tell that to NHS front line workers

Fatigues players? Yet clubs will go abroad with managers blessing. Why is it an issue now, they’ll be training, and all players without exception prefer playing to training.

Alternatively,managers are afraid of getting on the wrong side of the players?
It is naive in the extreme to think managers would ever side against players.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Festive Programme followed by the FA Cup third round is tradition. If they don’t like it, there is no reason why they have to manage in this league. Tuchels interviews were a disgrace, I suspect he may get a bit of abuse at his next visit to the Amex, although at this rate he will probably get sacked and we will have wait until he comes with Spuds or Everton ��

It will be interesting to see if the teams that couldn't possibly play any of those u23 players if the past few weeks, will suddenly be in their FA Cup teams.

I'm interested as it has been cited that because the youth teams and first team squads have been isolating from each other they couldn't be drafted in to the first team on match days.

It needs to called out if they do mix the teams around.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is a dangerous injury?

I ripped my ACL when I was 15, it was a bad injury. But its the arthritis I'm likely to develop because of taking shit care of it that will cause me the most problems. Plenty of former footballers cant even play football with their kids in the backyard because they kept playing or took painkillers injections against "non-serious" injuries.

But that’s about education and choice. A lot of sportsman develop arthritis, but that is sustained wear and tear on the joints that causes it, that is training every bit as much as it is playing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It will be interesting to see if the teams that couldn't possibly play any of those u23 players if the past few weeks, will suddenly be in their FA Cup teams.

I'm interested as it has been cited that because the youth teams and first team squads have been isolating from each other they couldn't be drafted in to the first team on match days.

It needs to called out if they do mix the teams around.

And that is what really irks me…..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Brendan Rogers

"The game is about money now. You can’t say it’s about the welfare of players. You get that first day of recovery but it’s the second day where it’s really tough for a player,"

“If we go along that route then the second day, instead of recovering, we’re kicking off at 5.30pm at West Ham. It’s just nonsense really."

Sean Dyche

“Depending on the fixtures it can be really taxing on the players, emotionally - the physical side is taxing anyway - but you want to relax and be with your families.”

Eddie Howe

“It is difficult for the players physically. The players will be fatigued and when you’re fatigued there is a lot higher injury risk.”

GP

"The Premier League give the clubs a lot of resources so they can demand a certain type of schedule over the Christmas period, so I can understand it from a commercial point of view.”

All about the money.

Sure, most of them will also say that it is "part of the culture" and yada yada but "part of the culture" doesnt make something good. It used to be part of the culture to fight in the stands, make monkey sounds towards black players and sing homophobic things about the opposition and I'm sure there was a lot of opposition, "it's always been like this! If players and foreign coaches have something against it they can do one!" when it was no longer deemed acceptable.

The reason why people are offended by managers suggesting that players should have at least three days rest is because people a) actively decide not to understand the problem and b) wants to defend some kind of pointless tradition. Would it be the end of the world if the game between Boxing Day and the first game of the new year was just moved later or earlier into the season? It would take one or two years before people would stop moaning about it. Right now people are defending it just for the sake of defending it.

I understand the problem, not playing the games is one solution, but it is outside of the managers control, and this is why they say it, it is a way of saying, "not my fault".
If they said it after a victory and claimed they only won because the other side was missing key players I might accept it as a valid comment, but as it accompanies a dissapointing result or performance, it just comes across as sour grapes. As a manager they could utilise more of the squad, utilise the odd academy player, slow the pace of the game, insist players wear lycra shorts and shirts under kit to reduce muscle fatigue, monitor stress molecules in players blood and reduce training load, use hyperbaric oxygen therapy, supervise proper warm down exercise for players after games, and many more enlightened practices.

Maybe even criticise a player making a two footed jumping tackle, if player welfare is your only concern?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Brendan Rogers

Sean Dyche

Eddie Howe

GP

All about the money.

Football is for fans. ‘Player welfare is not our concern. We have 25 players in the squad. Just pick a different one rather than spoil what is essentially just a good day out. Most years if they don’t want to play football matches they should get a different job. This year is different because of Covid but these managers are using that to lobby for a winter break not wanted by the fans.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Again that's why certain clubs always played their mid week games on certain days as locally they coincided with shops half days closing.

I agree about early closing days but still think that there would not be enough shop workers to make up the numbers as many of them would be female and there was less interest by the ladies in football in those days.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wrong thread.

However, while I'm here, players are dropping like flies and the Prem have not done enough to protect them.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Brendan Rogers

Sean Dyche

Eddie Howe

GP

All about the money.

We can all pick bullshit quotes from PL managers to prove our point depending on which day of the week it is. Here's one from Shaun Dyche

"I keep hearing about player welfare...

"Frank Lampard played 60-odd games season after season. I don't remember player welfare being spoken about then"

The welfare of current players is "off the scale", Burnley boss Sean Dyche believes

https://t.co/RtWNVLiwgG

#bbcfootball https://t.co/7ri0DUKxYS

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Before any savy social media type says it I've patented the phrase for Sunday's game....

El Whingyico

But Klopp and Tuchel are German, not Spanish!

I propose Der Whingeblitzkrieg, or it's full name - Der Obersturmfuhrerlebensraumuberwhingeblitzkrieg.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
As usual it's all about balance. Have a bigger squad and utilise it and players soon start moaning they're not playing enough (see Lukaku recently). Or they play too much and they get bad injuries that could affect their later lives. Re player welfare, there's interesting articles about the caffeine gel and other legal drugs players take to be able to play the "modern" high press game, running around like headless chickens. That's not good long term for player welfare (Liverpool couldn't sustain it last season after their title win). Won't be doing the heart much good.
Anyway, getting the "balance" right is about good management surely ie Tuchel and Klopp's job (so get on with it and shut up when you lose).
As for Xmas, I don't like the Xmas period. I'm not religious and I find it a dark and stressful time. One of the absolute highlights of the Xmas period is the extra football on. If necessary, have a "winter break" before or after the Boxing day and NY fixtures.

edit - isn't it ze German coaches that have introduced the pressing game into modern football? I find it odd that these same managers who introduced this high energy, knackering style of play then also moan about tired players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here