Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People no longer attending Withdean/Albion games.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you look at loads of Premier clubs, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn - even Newcastle not so long ago they were playing in front of pathetic crowds not that much bigger than our own - and smaller in some instances. They've all attracted back (or recruited new) fans who were obviously doing something else when they were shit. I don't see why we shouldn't be any different.

I'd have no problems sitting next to someone who'd been at Spurs between 1997 and 2010. Indeed I used to go to games back in the 'Glory Era' of the 1970s with someone who used to go to Spurs when we were just a run-of-the-mill 3rd division side.

Silvanus

Aug 16, 2007
It's too expensive at the Withdean at the moment for a crap view. I only go a few times a season

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont care. Its all about the lost generation that arguably started when ewe moved to Gillingham.

I wonder how many we would have lost had we moved straight from the Goldstone to Withdean?

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
When I started to go to the North Stand with my mates (instead of the West Stand with my dad or my mate's dad!) I suddenly realised that none of the lads standing their cheering on the Albion were actually Albion fans - two were Liverpool fans, one was a Chelsea fan and the other...well he doesn't really follow football!

Only one of these have been to Withdean....and that was because he was there with corporate hospitality (why do I always think of ham, egg and chips, a bottle of becks and people sitting in a portacabin when I think of that????)

Anyway...all of these guys have said they will go to Falmer (with their kids) when it is built. I have also spoken to other non-Albion fans that may have gone once or twice to the Goldstone but again will go to Falmer with their kids. Most of these guys cite the Albion as being their 'second team'

The same applied when I went to the Play off final. Walking up the coach I noticed a Man U fan, another Chelsea fan and others.

I for one will welcome them with open arms - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Falmer will be a bit empty with just the 5000 or so Withdean goers or the even smaller number who went to Gillingham.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Falmer will be a bit empty with just the 5000 or so Withdean goers or the even smaller number who went to Gillingham.

My point was people giving up on the Albion when the club needed them the most.

The more the merrier at Falmer...

Wont affect me because I sahll be sitting in the UberSuperfan enclosure..........

Season ticket at Priestfield.
Saw evrey game
Twice a three year Season ticket at Withdean

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Falmer For All....is the moto.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Falmer's a whole new start. It's finally a level playing field for the club; they have a far wealthier catchment area than many clubs, and it'll be down to the board to invest heavily in the playing side and to hire some top-of-the-range marketing bods to spread the word - tho hopefully the results will do that by themselves.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I'm confused - am I allowed to go to Falmer when it is built or not? I had a season ticket from 1990 through to 2005. Went to the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean. I did however decide to stop being a season ticket holder at the end of the 05/06 season due to the cost (I could no longer afford it), Withdean (which is crap and wet and cold) and the constant moaning and slagging off of players by those around me. The whole experience was one I was not prepared to pay for any more. I now try to go once or twice a season, taking my (now interested) daughter - who will hopefully continue her support for the Albion long after I slip of this mortal coil.

My concern for Falmer is that I won't be able to afford a season ticket for the new ground - many people have fallen of the Seagull Express simply because of cost - the best facilities in the world cannot make it any more affordable.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm pleased that so many have said they will be going to Falmer and hope they do because we need 12,000 to get to each game to pay the mortgage.

The more the merrier.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Wont affect me because I sahll be sitting in the UberSuperfan enclosure..........

Season ticket at Priestfield.
Saw evrey game
Twice a three year Season ticket at Withdean

Never been to Gillingham
Never been to Withdean
Never had a season ticket
Last home game approximately 1988 (I think but don't remember exactly as it was too long ago)
Last time lived in Sussex 1980.

....but still a fan (God knows why. Have you ever spent a decade following the Albion every Saturday on Ceefax)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
....but still a fan (God knows why. Have you ever spent a decade following the Albion every Saturday on Ceefax)

Yep. 250 miles (Yorkshire)Two small kids and a miserable husband prevented me going to many matches in the 70's and 80's.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yep. 250 miles (Yorkshire)Two small kids and a miserable husband prevented me going to many matches in the 70's and 80's.
I feel your pain.... I can't even get SCR on the interweb unless to hear endless tripe about Aldershot (whatever happened to hacking into the seagulls tv match console for free)

Can I have the award for worst fan!!!!!!!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Always welcome.

Just don't put your kid in any top other than an Albion one at Falmer. Makes me mad seeing Chelski and Manure tops at Brighton games.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think you also have to allow for the new fan ... A classic example is my brother , he moved to Basingtoke (i know its shit but somebody has to live there ) and tended to watch the odd Boxing Day game at Reading Elm Park . Once the new ground was built he went occassionally and it grew on him (new ground facilities etc ) and is now a season ticket holder . I think that may be the case at Falmer once its up and running for a fair few . (by the way have not forgiven him for takin piss when we lost 5-1 up there and i had to sit next to him and suffer the humiliation )

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
the thing about priestfield and withdean is that the people who are my age have lost an important bit of their supporting career, i mean being the centre of the singing section at the north stand, travelling to every away game - it's difficult to explain but i was 13 when we left the goldstone but had 'promoted' myself from east to north stand with my mate, we stood at the front but really as we would've got older we would've moved high up into the north. we lost that, and maybe a bit of passion about it all.

falmer won't give me another chance but the new generation, fingers crossed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
the thing about priestfield and withdean is that the people who are my age have lost an important bit of their supporting career, i mean being the centre of the singing section at the north stand, travelling to every away game - it's difficult to explain but i was 13 when we left the goldstone but had 'promoted' myself from east to north stand with my mate, we stood at the front but really as we would've got older we would've moved high up into the north. we lost that, and maybe a bit of passion about it all.

falmer won't give me another chance but the new generation, fingers crossed.

The North Stand truly was a wonderful place to watch football from... the north stand roar... brings a tear to ne eye just thinking about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here