Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] People and this funny business

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Actually there is one person I know who died ( 89, underlying minor issue) having contracted Covid in Hospital.

Lowest number wins Zef........

An old school mate (2 years above me) died at the age of 60......

And then you get extra points for the oldest you know who survived it.
No one will beat my auntie who came through aged 107.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Apologies, I didn't realise you knew everyone I did.

Actually there is one person I know who died ( 89, underlying minor issue) having contracted Covid in Hospital.

“Everyone I know or know of who's had it is involved with schooling.“

There have been many high profile examples, eg Boris, Arteta, that you must know of. Just trying to correct your presumption that all cases emanate from schools

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not entirely sure what you're getting at but we're feeling guilty sending our daughter in two days a week.
Thing is my wife works in Sainsbury's and as well as her usual hours is doing extra for people that are shielding.
She also frequently gets old people and mask deniers in her face.

But equally it probably isn't as bad as it sounds as ~24% of people are working entirely from home and therefore have zero chance of catching it whilst working.

I feel for you and your Mrs. I see the same thing in my local supermarket, there always seems to be a few who just march around maskless glowering at everyone almost demanding to be challenged as they want a fight and those just too thick to cover their noses while they walk. Why don't security, especially in the bigger stores, just refuse entry or throw the ******** out ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I feel for you and your Mrs. I see the same thing in my local supermarket, there always seems to be a few who just march around maskless glowering at everyone almost demanding to be challenged as they want a fight and those just too thick to cover their noses while they walk. Why don't security, especially in the bigger stores, just refuse entry or throw the ******** out ?

They apparently just scream "I'm exempt" if questioned.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to bring in some facts here.
My Daughter is a single Mum with a Daughter who has a disability. She cant afford broadband let alone a laptop. School have given her some books and pencils. She is 8 yo but very behind in her school work. There's no room at school for her. I'm looking at private tuition for her because at 8 she needs help otherwise she has no future.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'd like to bring in some facts here.
My Daughter is a single Mum with a Daughter who has a disability. She cant afford broadband let alone a laptop. School have given her some books and pencils. She is 8 yo but very behind in her school work. There's no room at school for her. I'm looking at private tuition for her because at 8 she needs help otherwise she has no future.

Genuine advice: For the cost of private tuition you could get your daughter a 30gb a month data package she could use to create a personal wifi hotspot and a Chromebook for your granddaughter to use.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
“Everyone I know or know of who's had it is involved with schooling.“

There have been many high profile examples, eg Boris, Arteta, that you must know of. Just trying to correct your presumption that all cases emanate from schools

I wasn't making the presumption it was all schools, you inferred that.

To be specific I know 3 teachers ( 2 I know, one from my sons school, 3 different schools) and 5 pupils ( same school, different 'bubbles' )

conversely, I don't know of anyone in my local pub who's had it.

Thats quite odd IMO, I haven't been to a pub properly since last February.

The bottom line is, school's are an unnessecaryily high risk, and ill equipped to deal with it. They're barely equipped to teach! IMO.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

To be specific I know 3 teachers ( 2 I know, one from my sons school, 3 different schools) and 5 pupils ( same school, different 'bubbles' )

The bottom line is, school's are an unnessecaryily high risk, and ill equipped to deal with it. They're barely equipped to teach! IMO.

I agree.

As a society we need to agree what we are doing and why.
Schools are only open at the moment to provide childcare function for key workers kids and any kid who does not have access to a remote class room.

The teachers need to make sure all kids are socially distancing and washing their hands.
Managing the process of keeping the infection rate down.

This definitely wasn't the case at my partner's school.
I think this is understandable as teacher's expect to be measured on the quality of their lesson plans, not whether they can get kids to stop touching stuff.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

It’s ok to shout “close all schools”from the roof tops and then stand back. In reality schools have to open otherwise what will happen to the vulnerable children and those of key workers.? Many schools are doing fantastic work in providing a safe environment and regularly updating their risk assessments, and still providing learning in one form or another.

Not perfect I know but there’s a war on and nowhere is 100% safe.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It’s ok to shout “close all schools”from the roof tops and then stand back. In reality schools have to open otherwise what will happen to the vulnerable children and those of key workers.? Many schools are doing fantastic work in providing a safe environment and regularly updating their risk assessments, and still providing learning in one form or another.

Not perfect I know but there’s a war on and nowhere is 100% safe.

Ah, we're talking at cross purposes perhaps, I agree, schools open for key workes, in numbers that can be safely ( as possible ) managed, but on the whole, schools are open to offer child care and keep peoplegoing to work. regardless of the safety concerns. I don't think that is a good idea at tthe moment.

Given the impossibility of the whole situation there is no 100% correct answer, but the ultimate goal has to be minimising spread and eliminating the virus as swiftly as possible.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ah, we're talking at cross purposes perhaps, I agree, schools open for key workes, in numbers that can be safely ( as possible ) managed, but on the whole, schools are open to offer child care and keep peoplegoing to work. regardless of the safety concerns. I don't think that is a good idea at tthe moment.

Given the impossibility of the whole situation there is no 100% correct answer, but the ultimate goal has to be minimising spread and eliminating the virus as swiftly as possible.

Indeed. 👍

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

And this is the frustration i have. Too much effort arguing about how we should be living durinfg these unprecedented times and not enough doing what your told and following the rules.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I think a lot of them don't even have permanent security now due to cost-cutting!

Equally there was a woman in Morrisons yesterday who had the worst cough I'd ever heard. She was wearing a mask but I didn't wanna stick around and find out if it was COVID.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here