Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paynter, Reyes, Forrest and Poyet

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes it's great but it's all about balance. If Gus thinks out style of play means we need more bodies in midfield then who am I to argue. When a game is there for the taking he always goes for it. His system has after all got us in a play off spot.

The man is a genius. I think a lot of people on this forum need to realise 442 just doesn't fit the way we play. It might come but bit before Gus has got in players that are capable of making it work.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I for one was delighted we had two wingers on, it was finally an opportunity to take advantage of the width of the Amex pitch, we've been very predictable and one-dimensional playing the lopsided 443; a masterstroke from Lord Gus. On the Reyes front, I heard (I think on here, but could be wrong) that West Brom were looking for £2m+ for him. If that's true then given our transfer outlay already I think he may be out of our range; the warchest is probably close to empty this season, would have to wait until the summer. Could maybe look at a longer term loan though?

The Board's budgets were based on 14,000, then upped to 16,000 gates.
And catering, shop, sales have far exceeded their expectations, plus the League Cup money.

For the right players, I reckon TB & Gus would splash the cash in January.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
And catering, shop, sales have far exceeded their expectations, plus the League Cup money.

I don't disagree with the last paragraph but I'd be very wary of hinting towards us definitely having money to spend. While we're not losing money like we were at Withdean I believe our budget may need revision if we intend to compete for promotion. If Tony wishes to spend his wealth that way then good on him, but money from other sources is a drop in the ocean compared to what we'd need to get to where we'd need to be.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Sorry to be negative but am I the only one who thought that Paynter was a complete and utter f***ing waste of a player today then? I honestly believe I could have played better, I would have at least attempted to jump for a header for starters.

He had a few "flashes" but other than that, I think you have summed up the performance eloquently. I am surprised he wasn't subbed off.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Reyes was Man Of The Match imo, he was on a different level to just about all of our team.
Only problem is that he plays passes that the rest of the team dont have the foresight to see.
We must buy him in January, Gus must have a list of about five positions/players that need replacing, Reyes is one of those and we should get him while we can

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Sorry to be negative but am I the only one who thought that Paynter was a complete and utter f***ing waste of a player today then? I honestly believe I could have played better, I would have at least attempted to jump for a header for starters.

Thought he had his best game to date for us. Nothing special but worked very hard.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I have seen Paynter play on two occasions.

The first one against Cov, once he had been subbed we were under the cosh.
The second today. He won 50% of the balls played up to him and it looked like he had been asked to play centre mid rather than as a striker. On top of that he got stuck in and provided a couple of crosses, plus he did get the assist for Buckley.

i think that he does add something positive to the team.

DavidWatts

Nov 12, 2011
Mid Sussex
Why do so many slag Paynter? Are they all North Standers that don't appreciate what he brings to the team due to the perspective and all that...
He wasn't brilliant, but he was asked to play deep and what he did was fairly tidy, and he actually won most of the headers he went for too.
I wouldn't necessarily choose him to start, but he wasn't that bad today.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm glad we won today, honest, but i envied Forest's ability on the ball at times as they approached the box. They had no killer instinct and might purely struggle for that reason, but their understanding of each other and adeptness of touch in the second half were the sort i imagine Gus would like us to have more often this season. It said to me in technique that we're a team still used to Div 1 and will take time to adapt and throw our intended chic into many a battlesome encounter. Just as we sometimes look out of our depth, Reyes has to remember that he is a sparkling cloud above us and should be ready for his colleagues to not always be on his wavelength. He's class, but must remember not to lose possession always in the name of flair. Paynter, i thought played better. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, but there was something more to him in the field of play and he should be applauded for getting about more. Forest, i thought, handled CMS brilliantly. He's a tough nut to crack, but they completely dominated him. That is when we need someone else to really step up and be the unexpected, but that didn't really happen today.
3 points, so should be happy. I'll be happier still when we have Vicente playing and Hoskins fit and Buckley perchance starting a game and being gangly and dangerous in his own right for 90 mins.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have seen Paynter play on two occasions.

The first one against Cov, once he had been subbed we were under the cosh.
The second today. He won 50% of the balls played up to him and it looked like he had been asked to play centre mid rather than as a striker. On top of that he got stuck in and provided a couple of crosses, plus he did get the assist for Buckley.

i think that he does add something positive to the team.

No he didn't and no he didn't.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't disagree with the last paragraph but I'd be very wary of hinting towards us definitely having money to spend. While we're not losing money like we were at Withdean I believe our budget may need revision if we intend to compete for promotion. If Tony wishes to spend his wealth that way then good on him, but money from other sources is a drop in the ocean compared to what we'd need to get to where we'd need to be.

It aint just Tony. If we are in touching distance of the play offs come January, money will be there. And maybe one more win, and we will be in or around the play offs come January, so things are looking good

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why do so many slag Paynter? Are they all North Standers that don't appreciate what he brings to the team due to the perspective and all that...
He wasn't brilliant, but he was asked to play deep and what he did was fairly tidy, and he actually won most of the headers he went for too.
I wouldn't necessarily choose him to start, but he wasn't that bad today.
I think its a case of monkey hear monkey say. I think so many worte him off before he got here, and almost want him to fail. The same with Ankergren, people seem to love to have a moan at him, and he kept a clean sheet today!! Personally I think it was Paynter worst game I have seen from him today, but he no way deserves the stick he gets on here

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The biggest hand of the night should go to Poyet. Playing two wingers was a massive gamble. It paid off. It also left us much, much more exposed at the back. If this hand gone against us people would be slagging of GP left, right and centre. As it happens it went our way tonight, and yet I see no threads praising Poyet for taking such a risk. Let's try and remember the three points we took today the next time a Poyet gamble doesn't come off and we lose.

Gus got the substitutions spot on today, especially Buckley for Noone, who was getting nothing out of the big Forest player he was up against, and the midfield became more lively when Vincelot came on for Navarro. Poor old Barnesy wasn't doing anything, so to bring on Lua Lua was the right move too. Congratulations are due to Gus as you say.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think its a case of monkey hear monkey say. I think so many worte him off before he got here, and almost want him to fail. The same with Ankergren, people seem to love to have a moan at him, and he kept a clean sheet today!! Personally I think it was Paynter worst game I have seen from him today, but he no way deserves the stick he gets on here

I think the same thing can be said of Barnes (included because I genuinely think he gets more stick than deserved, not because of some veiled dig at your position on his talents), Navarro, M Painter, Dicker, Harley, Brezovan and Sparrow. None of these players are as bad as posters on here (and some at the ground) suggest.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Yes, yes you are!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here