Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paynter, Reyes, Forrest and Poyet

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
OK so Paynter wasn't brilliant tonight partly due to the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to jump. However I noticed he was in midfield for most of the game and often drifted out to the right leaving CMS up front alone. I'm presuming these were Poyet instructions so he didn't look like the out and out forward that some on here were expecting. He shouldn't really be knocked for this and despite not setting the game alight he did make some good runs and decisions on the ball. He needs to offer much more but it's certainly one of his better games for us. Slagging him off without anything constructive to offer is unhelpful and possibly even more damaging.

At the other end of the pitch, Reyes was superb. What a complete natural this guy is. It just felt like he was the best player on the field for me. Composed on the ball, excellent tracking, tackling, passing, movement and positioning. I know he's way out of our price bracket so I'm just going to enjoy watching someone with such all round ability while were lucky enough to have him. I'm a big fan of the Tarrico/Reyes combo at the back.. They have such footballing brains.

As for the game, we were very lucky. But you make your own luck by working your socks off and hoping it comes together. As lucky as we were Forrest were equally unlucky, when you're at the bottom that's how it pans out it seems. I'm delighted with three points though as Forrest get high balls in the box early and are exactly the type of team we were always likely to struggle against. The fact we came away with three points should be commended however fluky. We'll face weaker teams than Forrest this season, there style we find hard to cope with and they did come to play football.

The biggest hand of the night should go to Poyet. Playing two wingers was a massive gamble. It paid off. It also left us much, much more exposed at the back. If this hand gone against us people would be slagging of GP left, right and centre. As it happens it went our way tonight, and yet I see no threads praising Poyet for taking such a risk. Let's try and remember the three points we took today the next time a Poyet gamble doesn't come off and we lose.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet has already talked about buying Reyes in January so he may not be out of our price bracket? Whether it will happen or not I don't know but it appears we may try. I hope so because he is class.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Yep agree too. Despite the fact that I don't want him in January, I thought Paynter did ok today. And Reyes was best player

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think Reyes is definitely a quality player but may be out of our price range

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Not seen Reyes play as i'm restricted to matches being away at Uni but only hear good things, hopefully we can sign him.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Agree 100% with the OP

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Good Post Biscuit

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'd be very surprised if we bought him. Our best bet is a loan until the end of the year. Premiership wages are crazy and noises from the club suggest our budget for this league isn't exactly competitive.

Sorry about the two R's in Forest. I've had a couple of Albion Ales!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It all depends on how you look at the game anyway. Is playing with 2 wingers at home a risk? I don't really understand why we're set up so negatively anyway, I see no reason why we have to have Paynter drifting out right, and Barnes playing as a Bennett-type midfielder. It's counter productive in my opinion, set up too negatively and you give the inititive to the opposition. We've been stung at home a couple of times already through doing that, and tactically speaking, we've been found out a few times. I love Gus, the man is fantastic and he's proving to be a very good manager for us but he is quite negative.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Barnes wAs on a hiding to nothing again, playing in the Harley role. Paynter was asked to play there later in the second half. It just seems ridiculous. I'd have played vincelot in the hole and put barnes up top through the middle with Cms on the right and noone on the left in the 4-3-3. Cms loves drifting into the channel, it's where he created the goal from.

I have to admit to finding poyet's team selection and in particular, his deployment of barnes bizarre at times this seAson but is beginning to look a little more balanced, although we were completely overrun again in midfield. I guess we'll only fully understand the master plan when we are injury free.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Perhaps Poyet sees Barnes as someone who can take and carry out instruction. He sees much more of him than we do. Much the same with Paynter but I dont understand why you bring in a supposed bustling type forward player and then play him where he does. Odd positions for both of them I thought.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sorry to be negative but am I the only one who thought that Paynter was a complete and utter f***ing waste of a player today then? I honestly believe I could have played better, I would have at least attempted to jump for a header for starters.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It all depends on how you look at the game anyway. Is playing with 2 wingers at home a risk? I don't really understand why we're set up so negatively anyway ... I love Gus ... but he is quite negative.

I'd say yes, playing with two wingers at home is a risk IF our central midfield isn't strong enough. Gus clearly doesn't believe they are and while Bridcutt is vital to us without another truly quality, quality central midfielder to play along side him - two wingers IS a risk in the style that we play in.

I also couldn't disagree more about Gus being negative. McGhee is negative, Gus is uber positive. Look at his substitutions, he always goes for the win and sometimes it costs us, other times like today it pays off.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I for one was delighted we had two wingers on, it was finally an opportunity to take advantage of the width of the Amex pitch, we've been very predictable and one-dimensional playing the lopsided 443; a masterstroke from Lord Gus. On the Reyes front, I heard (I think on here, but could be wrong) that West Brom were looking for £2m+ for him. If that's true then given our transfer outlay already I think he may be out of our range; the warchest is probably close to empty this season, would have to wait until the summer. Could maybe look at a longer term loan though?

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Reyes is pure quality, amazing touch and clearly has a very advanced understanding of the game in terms of position and technique

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps Poyet sees Barnes as someone who can take and carry out instruction. He sees much more of him than we do. Much the same with Paynter but I dont understand why you bring in a supposed bustling type forward player and then play him where he does. Odd positions for both of them I thought.

Agreed. In earlier Paynter Albion performances, his strength/target man, up front was useful, and CMS didn't have to do that (unnatural to his game) job.

For some reason, Paynter sucked back & it ain't working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here