Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The question which prompted his little outburst was asked because Potter could clearly be seen walking around at the final whistle with an incredulous look, saying "they're booing".
Nothing to do with a really decent performance, a point and Albion sat in 9th and the rest of football going 'why the hell are they booing?' - it was because Potter had an incredulous look. Okay.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I admit that I was a bit disappointed about the reaction after the Leeds game - not that a few idiots booed, but that they weren't immediately drowned out by cheers for what had been a pretty dominating display. But it was late and cold and most people just wanted to get home, so that didn't happen. Since he could go inside into the warm, maybe that didn't occur to him.
For me that felt like one of the coldest nights I have experienced at the Amex. The lack of goals again by us was so frustrating but I did not boo . I just wanted to get home and warm so was one of the silent majority

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On topic: is there actually any news as to where this is at with Paul Winstanley? Do we have any hope of keeping him?
They'll be no talk like that around here. This is now a(nother) Potter-bashing thread, FFS! ;)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's interesting and I'm not doubting your experience at all, but it was very brief and from a small minority but noticeable nonetheless.

It was also, in my opinion, a brief showing of frustration that, in the context of a game that we should have won comfortable, we'd once again failed to score and Potter's chosen option was to put on Jurgen Locadia and young debutant Jeremy Sarmiento (incredibly unfair to throw him in to that atmosphere to try and win the game). At the time, I saw it as less a booing of Potter (who I thought had gone into a Mourinho style protest to show he needed the club to invest in a striker) and more of a booing that we'd run out of ideas. It was absolutely bonkers Locadia ever appeared, and at that moment we clearly needed another striking option. How it became the fans were baying for Potter's head, I'll never know.
I'm not doubting it happened, just saying that a lot of people would not have known at the time, so reacting positively against the booing wasn't an option. And as others have said, we were frustrated and it was cold so we just wanted to get out of there.

I was closer to the tunnel for the Chelsea match and did hear some boos as Bruno was walking off (not from me) which was a shame (though by that stage people were in such a frenzy they'd have boo'd pretty much anythig that moved with a Chelsea connection). But again, would imagine that the majority of people there didn't even know it had happened. Especially with the music and general jubiliation going on in most other stands.

If the media reported from the part of the stadium I usually sit in (and if Potter heard the noise only from there) we'd be presented in a much rosier light! Not that I give much of a shit.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's interesting and I'm not doubting your experience at all, but it was very brief and from a small minority but noticeable nonetheless.

It was also, in my opinion, a brief showing of frustration that, in the context of a game that we should have won comfortable, we'd once again failed to score and Potter's chosen option was to put on Jurgen Locadia and young debutant Jeremy Sarmiento (incredibly unfair to throw him in to that atmosphere to try and win the game). At the time, I saw it as less a booing of Potter (who I thought had gone into a Mourinho style protest to show he needed the club to invest in a striker) and more of a booing that we'd run out of ideas. It was absolutely bonkers Locadia ever appeared, and at that moment we clearly needed another striking option. How it became the fans were baying for Potter's head, I'll never know.
The amount of things a boo can mean on here...eg: a sophisticated call for more striking options in the next window in defence of a manager who had run out of ideas and options thanks to boardroom instransigence - or more recently a considered protest against the strict grip that the top 4 have over clubs not owned by nation states and multi billonaires and have found ways to break through the financial ceiling.
Well fancy that.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm not doubting it happened, just saying that a lot of people would not have known at the time, so reacting positively against the booing wasn't an option. And as others have said, we were frustrated and it was cold so we just wanted to get out of there.

I was closer to the tunnel for the Chelsea match and did hear some boos as Bruno was walking off (not from me) which was a shame (though by that stage people were in such a frenzy they'd have boo'd pretty much anythig that moved with a Chelsea connection). But again, would imagine that the majority of people there didn't even know it had happened. Especially with the music and general jubiliation going on in most other stands.

If the media reported from the part of the stadium I usually sit in (and if Potter heard the noise only from there) we'd be presented in a much rosier light! Not that I give much of a shit.
It's interesting the difference in perspectives. Bruno was deafeningly booed (including by myself - I loved him and would welcome him back but he decided that the grass was greener with Todd and in the context of the Chelsea game I don't think it was as "sad" as Naylor seemed to make out) in the WSU as was everything else that shared a connection between the Albion and the Chelsea Dodgers.

At the same time, I've had a long-time issue with the music/announcements being way too quiet in the WSU so we seemingly have completely different experiences 🤣😂

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The amount of things a boo can mean on here...eg: a sophisticated call for more striking options in the next window in defence of a manager who had run out of ideas and options thanks to boardroom instransigence - or more recently a considered protest against the strict grip that the top 4 have over clubs not owned by nation states and multi billonaires and have found ways to break through the financial ceiling.
Well fancy that.
I know you're mocking my post but basically, this is the problem with #Boogate isn't it?

There aren't many clear ways you can decipher booing apart from an act of frustration. Compounding meaning onto that is where things get complicated. The media decided that the booing was about Potter's performance as manager. I thought, being there, it was about the pathetic nature of needing to bring Locadia on to try and win a game.

Were Brighton fans, in the context of that Leeds game, justified in being frustrated? Yes.
Were Brighton fans, in the context of that Chelsea game, justified in being frustrated? Yes.
Was the frustration for the same reason? No. Was the act of frustration the same? Yes.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Now I'm not Brighton's best fan but I'm sure you will ALL agree, I am certainly the most cherished. I've just received a call from Graham and he has offered me a spot in the Chelsea fan base and has told me that I will be more than welcome to take a flask, bottle tops will not be an issue, the players will always applaud me at the end of a game and there will be a pie on offer at every game with peas in for me and my bruvva. Sorry to bring you this possibly heart breaking news. On my way for talks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably just arguing over compensation - although we might have been told Winstanley was at the garden centre if that was the case.

Maybe we'll never hear of this again and he just stays with no further update ?

Attachments

• a7fcc402-9b94-4ae6-9ec9-ca0250b0512c_image_jpeg.jpg
    a7fcc402-9b94-4ae6-9ec9-ca0250b0512c_image_jpeg.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 32

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know you're mocking my post but basically, this is the problem with #Boogate isn't it?

There aren't many clear ways you can decipher booing apart from an act of frustration. Compounding meaning onto that is where things get complicated. The media decided that the booing was about Potter's performance as manager. I thought, being there, it was about the pathetic nature of needing to bring Locadia on to try and win a game.

Were Brighton fans, in the context of that Leeds game, justified in being frustrated? Yes.
Were Brighton fans, in the context of that Chelsea game, justified in being frustrated? Yes.
Was the frustration for the same reason? No. Was the act of frustration the same? Yes.
Sorry. Wasn't trying to mock . But absolutely agreed that booing is a pretty crude way to feedback and hence difficult to perscribe meaning to it - and thus there have been multiple interpretations of what it meant v Leeds and what it meant v Chelsea by fans on here and "the media" (who are many different outlets and had many different takes on the Chelsea game etc.)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He managed us for over 100 games. What did he not get ? Did he really criticise the fans ? He praised them week in week out. And thousands sang Graham Potters blue and white army week in week out right to the last minute at Leicester. So what that for five minutes a few people are still clutching their pearls about Leeds. Most people really didn't care.
I always got the feeling he thought he was a bit too good for us. I think the media going on and on about the Leeds game was was fed by his reaction. Never have a few boos from one section of the crowd been made in to such a big issue. Most people didn't care? Brighton fans didn't, but it was a stick which pundits and fans of other clubs have been, and still are using against us.
Now with Chelsea and their recent success with Russian money, he can't act so aloof after a defeat and it will be very challenging, which I'm enjoying watching to be honest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They were talking about booing on Talk Sport this morning and how it’s allegedly got worse recently. Tony Cascarino says it’s abuse :rolleyes:

Surprisingly the media boo kings Albion didn’t get a mention

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
It seems that the thread about him has been hijacked. Booooo (Oops sorry!)

Nothing good comes of obsession with an ex. I’m happy with our manager and our squad, and now I’ve got over my initial anger at the mid-season removal of our entire coaching staff, I’m more than happy with the replacements and wouldn’t have the old ones back.

If Paul W does toddle off up the road, I’m confident we’ll find somebody better to replace him. At this stage I’d just rather that he either went, or got off the metaphorical pot.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Nothing to do with a really decent performance, a point and Albion sat in 9th and the rest of football going 'why the hell are they booing?' - it was because Potter had an incredulous look. Okay.
No, he's right. The camera's picked up his 'They're booing' comment and the media being what it is (It is what it is) they ran with it. And ran, and ran, and....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here