Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not me I'm afraid.

I want Newcastle to beat that money grabbing, scumbag Potter.

Whether or not it happens will make absolutely no difference to the flogging, stoning and murdering of journalists. Jesus f***ing wept. !
Newcastle beating Chelsea probably won't make much (positive) difference in them wanting to sign every successfull footy-person in England.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
its no joke. They’ve taken nearly everyone else. Time to nail his feet to the boardroom floor?
TB wasn’t silly when making PB deputy/vice Chairman. Clearly Chelsea perceive their problem as being on the pitch, player recruitment, developing and coaching players…… ie all things on the football side.

PB has little to do with these areas at the Albion.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Newcastle beating Chelsea probably won't make much (positive) difference in them wanting to sign every successfull footy-person in England.
I doubt it very much.

Credit to Newcastle though who spread their net for new players etc far and wide.

Chelsea ( i.e. Scumbag Potter) on the other hand only seem to have the ability to attempt to destroy the infrastructure of a club , steeped in hard work and good ethics.

May I remind you, that it was Chris Hughton who achieved the almost impossible task of turning us around from relegation candidates to a formidable Championship side and promotion to the Premier League. Boring, yes. But he helped establish us in the Premier League. He didn't do his best to f*** our club over.

Graham ( money grabbing ) Potter , managed two seasons of mediocrity and eventually after realising what every amateur pundit on here knew...that Maupay wasn't even close to premier league standard.....and finally ditched him, to discover that our recruitment team had actually saved his sorry arse. We had quality players a plenty. He failed, miserably, to work that out for two and a half seasons.

He also took two and half seasons to work out that tinkering with the side every week was yet another of his huge failures. Most amateur pundits on here pointed that out time and time again. If ever there was a case of an "Emporer with no clothes "....Potter is the man. To be fair to many Chelsea supporters on their forum....they have worked that out already. Fair play.

Thankfully, it is their turn "to suffer" and "to learn from it"....yawn.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I doubt it very much.

Credit to Newcastle though who spread their net for new players etc far and wide.

Chelsea ( i.e. Scumbag Potter) on the other hand only seem to have the ability to attempt to destroy the infrastructure of a club , steeped in hard work and good ethics.

May I remind you, that it was Chris Hughton who achieved the almost impossible task of turning us around from relegation candidates to a formidable Championship side and promotion to the Premier League. Boring, yes. But he helped establish us in the Premier League. He didn't do his best to f*** our club over.

Graham ( money grabbing ) Potter , managed two seasons of mediocrity and eventually after realising what every amateur pundit on here knew...that Maupay wasn't even close to premier league standard.....and finally ditched him, to discover that our recruitment team had actually saved his sorry arse. We had quality players a plenty. He failed, miserably, to work that out for two and a half seasons.

He also took two and half seasons to work out that tinkering with the side every week was yet another of his huge failures. Most amateur pundits on here pointed that out time and time again. If ever there was a case of an "Emporer with no clothes "....Potter is the man. To be fair to many Chelsea supporters on their forum....they have worked that out already. Fair play.

Great post and so,so true !!

Reactions: cjd

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
TB wasn’t silly when making PB deputy/vice Chairman. Clearly Chelsea perceive their problem as being on the pitch, player recruitment, developing and coaching players…… ie all things on the football side.

PB has little to do with these areas at the Albion.
Did he not employ them? It’s Barber’s business acumen and experience that makes him an attractive prospect for any top team. Everyone has a price, even Barber. I just see him as being the sort of leader that Chelsea might go for. You can’t say he hasn’t proved himself wherever he Has been.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I doubt it very much.

Geez! :facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I doubt it very much.

If Chris Hughton had an "impossible" task or not is up for debate, personally I think with Tony Bloom in charge it has always been a question of "when" and not "if" Brighton would take the step up to the Premier League.

It is true he didn't do his best to f*** the club up, because the club f***ed him up before he had a chance to :shrug: Eat, or be eaten. The club won't be loyal to anyone - why would anyone be loyal to the club?

The rest of what you're saying is obviously historical revisionism of the lowest degree and not really worth discussing.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Chris Hughton had an "impossible" task or not is up for debate, personally I think with Tony Bloom in charge it has always been a question of "when" and not "if" Brighton would take the step up to the Premier League.

It is true he didn't do his best to f*** the club up, because the club f***ed him up before he had a chance to :shrug: Eat, or be eaten. The club won't be loyal to anyone - why would anyone be loyal to the club?

The rest of what you're saying is obviously historical revisionism of the lowest degree and not really worth discussing.
Agree with your last sentence. The one before it is bollocks though - Chris Hughton would have f***ed the club up but the club got in first? You do understand what 'revisionism' means, I take it? - so why do you think it's alright to apply it to Chris Hughton and The Albion for a time before you ever gave a fart about the club?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree with your last sentence. The one before it is bollocks though - Chris Hughton would have f***ed the club up but the club got in first? You do understand what 'revisionism' means, I take it? - so why do you think it's alright to apply it to Chris Hughton and The Albion for a time before you ever gave a fart about the club?
Ok, he wouldn't necessarily have f***ed up the club. I should have added "if he got a similar opportunity".

I'm sure there will be a bunch of people saying that "no, no, Chris would have stayed if he got an offer from Manchester City/United/Chelsea/Liverpool" but.. yeah, I can't prove the opposite but it sounds unlikely to me. Fair chance he would have taken Paul Trollope with him.

Point is: with very, very unusual exceptions (peacefully going into retirement), there are two ways your manager career in a club ends: you move to a bigger club or you get sacked.
Same goes for directors of footballs, coaches, scouts etc.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok, he wouldn't necessarily have f***ed up the club. I should have added "if he got a similar opportunity".

I'm sure there will be a bunch of people saying that "no, no, Chris would have stayed if he got an offer from Manchester City/United/Chelsea/Liverpool" but.. yeah, I can't prove the opposite but it sounds unlikely to me. Fair chance he would have taken Paul Trollope with him.

Point is: with very, very unusual exceptions (peacefully going into retirement), there are two ways your manager career in a club ends: you move to a bigger club or you get sacked.
Same goes for directors of footballs, coaches, scouts etc.
Potter had a degree in emotional intelligence. I'm guessing you had one in whataboutery?

AFAIK, Hughton has never gone on online to start dissing the Albion, or TB, or PB. Never a bad word in fact. Before your time, but Hughton was well and truly shafted by Newcastle United - nairy a word there either. Not that sort of guy.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter had a degree in emotional intelligence. I'm guessing you had one in whataboutery?
I'm guessing you don't have one since it really isn't whataboutery to reflect and comment on scenarios pretty much directly linked to the topic in question.

If you say "Graham Potter is greedy" and I say "what about the oil producers in Sudan who make profits and don't pay their workers?", that is whataboutery.

If you say "Graham Potter is destroying the club and not showing it any loyalty" and I say "the club could very possibly have destroyed Graham Potter and not showed him any loyalty", it's not whataboutery.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has he gone then?

To all intents, yes.

What is garden leave?​

Garden leave is used by employers as a protective measure to ensure that key employees exiting a business have a minimal impact on its reputation and ongoing success.

Garden leave, or gardening leave as it’s also referred to, describes the workplace practice where an employee leaving a job – having resigned, been made redundant or dismissed – is instructed by their employer not to attend the workplace or perform any duties, either at home or otherwise, during the whole or part of their notice period.

During gardening leave, the individual will be contractually retained by the employer as an employee, but they will be kept away from the business. This means that the employee will not be required to complete any work, attend work, or to communicate with colleagues and clients.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm guessing you don't have one since it really isn't whataboutery to reflect and comment on scenarios pretty much directly linked to the topic in question.

If you say "Graham Potter is greedy" and I say "what about the oil producers in Sudan who make profits and don't pay their workers?", that is whataboutery.

If you say "Graham Potter is destroying the club and not showing it any loyalty" and I say "the club could very possibly have destroyed Graham Potter and not showed him any loyalty", it's not whataboutery.

Yes it is whataboutery. Because you are applying a given reaction to a situation that never occurred. It's more like schrodinger's cat anyway, were this hypothetical situation to have ever happened whilst Hughton was our manager, he both took a more lucrative offer and also turned it down.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes it is. Glad you recognise that fact (not that it has any relevance to your previous post). And by the way, yes, I do have a degree.
Well, I didn't say that. So .... take your pick. Whataboutery or irrelevant?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

To all intents, yes.

What is garden leave?​

Garden leave is used by employers as a protective measure to ensure that key employees exiting a business have a minimal impact on its reputation and ongoing success.

Garden leave, or gardening leave as it’s also referred to, describes the workplace practice where an employee leaving a job – having resigned, been made redundant or dismissed – is instructed by their employer not to attend the workplace or perform any duties, either at home or otherwise, during the whole or part of their notice period.

During gardening leave, the individual will be contractually retained by the employer as an employee, but they will be kept away from the business. This means that the employee will not be required to complete any work, attend work, or to communicate with colleagues and clients.
We (or most of us) know what gardening leave means. Where is your source that he is on gardening leave (not saying he isn't, but just haven't seen anything suggesting that he is).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I expect Winstanley has a notice period of 6 months. Ashworth had 12 I believe.
I expect that with his knowledge of our recruitment systems he'll be expected to be on garden leave for the full 6 months. It's amazing what that can do to your 'contacts' who we'll be 'putting our arms around' to protect.
I expect 6 months is a long time in player recruitment.
I also expect we'll be keeping a very close eye on those contacts to ensure that Winstanley isn't making contact with any of them whilst on Garden Leave. We'll also be ensuring that he doesn't breach Data Protection laws by taking away any details of our contacts. A nice lawyers letter to remind him of his obligations etc. We probably have a decent replacement already with Roberto's recruitment colleague. What Winstanley won't get is Bloom's statistical data.
Onwards and upwards.
Chelsea would be better served by finding a pathway to the first team for their crop of impressive youngsters. The lad Hall who played last night seemed a very good LWB. Could have saved them £62m to have fast tracked him into the squad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here